Flight Training Conundrum

zieter

Nov 30, 2005
I am submitting this entry to solicit information and/or advice on how to continue. My desire is to fly professionally as a pilot. I have not yet decided into which category of commercial aviation I wish to follow (airline, corporate or bush pilot). I have attended two schools since deciding to become a commercial pilot. Unfortunately, I have not completed a bachelors degree nor the requirements of a commercial pilot as of yet.
The first school I attended was Salt Lake Community College in Salt Lake City, Utah. I used this institution as a stepping stone towards completing my degree at a four year university. At the community college I enrolled in classes that would fulfill the lower division requirements at a four year school. This also provided for an economic way to evaluate if aviation was truly a career I wanted to pursue.
I then went on to attend Westminster College also in Salt Lake City, Utah. Here I nearly completed the requirements for a Bachelors of Science Degree in Aviation. My major was Flight Operations Management. I was in the unique situation of having the option of completing the flight lab portion of my degree requirements either with Westminster's instructors and aircraft or to provide my own instructor and renting airplanes independently. This was due to the fact that Westminster did not have a operational flight line at my time of enrollment. I choose the later of the two choices due to expense considerations and the fact that Westminster's flight line was new to the college. This included new aircraft, instructors, associated administration and policies. Understandably there were several “kinksâ€￾ that needed working out. Upon completion of my instrument rating and my commercial certificate I was to present them to the registrar to receive credit for the degree requirements. These achievements were to be treated analogous to additional transfer credit.
I completed all of the prerequisites for graduation except for the above mentioned rating and certificate. I was allowed to participate in the commencement ceremonies and was even awarded “The most outstanding student graduating in aviation.â€￾ by the faculty of the aviation department at Westminster College. The understanding was that I would finish the flying portion as soon as possible. All went well for a time. I was actively flying and working on both the instrument and commercial portions at the same time. I had accumulated approximately 185 hours of total flight time including simulated instrument, cross country and P.I.C. time as necessary for the instrument rating. A month and a half post graduation I was injured in an accident while rock climbing in Southern Utah. The results were a broken heel and I was unable to walk, unaided, for nearly four months time. I have since fully recovered. The accident, along with the regression of skills due to the absence from the cockpit, prevented me from completing my obligations for obtaining my degree.
That was four years ago. I have since missed aviation tremendously but as life goes on and distractions occur one can be distracted from one's goals. I have realized that I possess a strong desire to finish what I started and continue along the path to becoming a commercial pilot. I have researched several of the accelerated pilot training schools and have considered attending just to expedite the acquiring my certificates and ratings. (I would like to go as far as CFI, CFII & MEI). But, I have put so much time, effort and expense into pursuing a degree I have a hard time justifying taking the accelerated route. In addition, what if I am unable to fly in the future and a degree unlocks additional doors to alternate career in aviation?
If you possess any information that may help please reply. Also, any advice concerning a choice of schools (accelerated flight training or bachelor degree programs) would be appreciated as well. Financial assistance will be required as I have exhausted my resources. Does anyone have information regarding loans, scholarships or grants pertaining to aviation studies? How much of the total costs (tuition, flight time, materials, equipment, FAA written exams, check rides, living expenses, ect.) will financial assistance provide? I'm at a loss as to how to continue. Please Help.

Maybe I overlooked it but how many credits do you already hold towards your aviation degree? Also how close are you to finishing your commercial certificate? I am currenlly enrolled in my local state university to get my BS in flight operations. Tuition assistance is going to cover most of my flight training and tuition. However, I am going to walk away with over $45,000 in loans. Of course this is starting from the begaining. If you already hold your private and close to having your commercial then it would be a lot less expensive. There are several schools out there that would would be able to finish up at. KState in Kansas has a full program as well as CMSU in Warrensburg, Missouri. Both own there own airports and run a nice fleet of aircraft. Whatever you do don't give up on what you want to do. I have een wanting to fly for many years but was unable to due to the cost. I have since found student aid and I am making it come true. Of course I am now one of the oldest freshman in the school. :)~

Also check out: www.fafsa.ed.gov

This is your first step to getting financial aid.

Maybe I overlooked it but how many credits do you already hold towards your aviation degree? Also how close are you to finishing your commercial certificate? I am currenlly enrolled in my local state university to get my BS in flight operations. Tuition assistance is going to cover most of my flight training and tuition. However, I am going to walk away with over $45,000 in loans. Of course this is starting from the begaining. If you already hold your private and close to having your commercial then it would be a lot less expensive. There are several schools out there that would would be able to finish up at. KState in Kansas has a full program as well as CMSU in Warrensburg, Missouri. Both own there own airports and run a nice fleet of aircraft. Whatever you do don't give up on what you want to do. I have een wanting to fly for many years but was unable to due to the cost. I have since found student aid and I am making it come true. Of course I am now one of the oldest freshman in the school. :)~

Thanks for the reply.

To answer your first question; I was only eight credits shy. Upon correspondence with the last school I attended, due to course catalouge changes, I will now be between twelve and fifeten credits to complete the degree. Even under part 61 I don't have too much to go for the commercial.

How old are you and what type of commercial flying do you intend to do in the future? I'm already over thirty years of age. When I first went back to school, after a several year break, I was twenty six. If you're younger than me... Don't sweat it because I'm still not done. I was initally going to go to M.D. school. Taking time off to be a professional skier will seem like a good idea when I'm sixty. Sometimes, there is nothing like a little calculated risk taking.

Thanks for the reply.

To answer your first question; I was only eight credits shy. Upon correspondence with the last school I attended, due to course catalouge changes, I will now be between twelve and fifeten credits to complete the degree. Even under part 61 I don't have too much to go for the commercial.

How old are you and what type of commercial flying do you intend to do in the future? I'm already over thirty years of age. When I first went back to school, after a several year break, I was twenty six. If you're younger than me... Don't sweat it because I'm still not done. I was initally going to go to M.D. school. Taking time off to be a professional skier will seem like a good idea when I'm sixty. Sometimes, there is nothing like a little calculated risk taking.
Guys and gals please take some words of advice. PLEASE!
This advice I have already given to my son. I have been in the aviation industry for the past 26 years. As a kid I would dream of being in a jet and have sacrificed all for the dream. I have made it here and have been working for the past 19 years for a major airline. It once was a fine job with a bright future. NOW, it is a dead end job with no hope in sight. Thousands of major airline pilots are out of work and struggling to survive. One pilot at my airline found himself holding a second furlough notice and took his own life. This is not new to this industry. The stress that I am under right now is increadible. I have kids to feed and send to school and all the bills that go along with it and am looking at starting a new career because my airline may not be a survivor soon. The facts that you read about thousands of pilots being hired is just white wash. Just ask them how much money they are making and what the future holds. Already the regional airlines are whipsawing their employees back and forth to see who will fly for free. I have taken a 49.5% pay cut and looking at more. It flows down hill guys and gals. I am writing this to help not to step on your dreams. PLEASE PLEASE reconsider your career path. If you were my son or daughter I would beg you to go another path. Well, if you were my son or daughter you would see the devistation that it has caused to my family and decide not to go the AVIATION way. IF you choose to continue in aviation be prepared to make very low wages and not be able to send your kids to college or have medical coverage or put braces on their teeth. Good luck in whatever you choose!

Guys and gals please take some words of advice. PLEASE!
This advice I have already given to my son. I have been in the aviation industry for the past 26 years. As a kid I would dream of being in a jet and have sacrificed all for the dream. I have made it here and have been working for the past 19 years for a major airline. It once was a fine job with a bright future. NOW, it is a dead end job with no hope in sight. Thousands of major airline pilots are out of work and struggling to survive. One pilot at my airline found himself holding a second furlough notice and took his own life. This is not new to this industry. The stress that I am under right now is increadible. I have kids to feed and send to school and all the bills that go along with it and am looking at starting a new career because my airline may not be a survivor soon. The facts that you read about thousands of pilots being hired is just white wash. Just ask them how much money they are making and what the future holds. Already the regional airlines are whipsawing their employees back and forth to see who will fly for free. I have taken a 49.5% pay cut and looking at more. It flows down hill guys and gals. I am writing this to help not to step on your dreams. PLEASE PLEASE reconsider your career path. If you were my son or daughter I would beg you to go another path. Well, if you were my son or daughter you would see the devistation that it has caused to my family and decide not to go the AVIATION way. IF you choose to continue in aviation be prepared to make very low wages and not be able to send your kids to college or have medical coverage or put braces on their teeth. Good luck in whatever you choose!

LISTEN TO NWA 400 - He or She is right on the money. The 'BIG 6' are no longer what they used to be and if you want a true gauge of what your 'airline pilot' future is likely going to be, just look at some of the regional pay scales (www.airlinepilotpay.com). The Big 6 will someday become the Big 3 and your chances of getting on line with the high number of AA, UAL, NWA, DAL, US ect. pilots on furlough are next to none. Many new pilots within the industry will be whipsawed back and forth and will work for nothing. Even NWA is attempting to TRY to pull this stunt on it's mainline pilots with it's NEWCO division. If, something like this occurs. That low pay will even reach the B747 someday via outsourcing. Every airline will follow its lead. Also, add in the new proposed FAA AGE 65 rule and that will also delay your hiring for 5 years. You may want to rethink that dream airline career. Do not listen to the flight schools and ERAU about how the future in aviation looks...they are in the business of selling the dream. Trust me, I have a useless Masters Degree in Aero Science from ERAU. ALPA has got some real tough battles this year...what and see what happens and just get your Gen Ed out of the way first. Good Luck.