Child's temper tantrum gets family thrown off plane

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
Flight attendants often deal with obnoxious passengers who won't listen to instructions by kicking them off the plane. But a Massachusetts couple think AirTran Airways went overboard by treating their crying 3-year-old daughter in much the same way.

Julie and Gerry Kulesza and daughter Elly were removed from the flight when the girl refused to take her seat before takeoff, airline officials said Tuesday. But her parents said they just needed a little more time to calm her down.

Wow a tough call, by the crew. On the one hand there is no reasoning with a small child, like you can an adult. But how long can an airline, crew and 112 other people on that flight be expected to put there lives on hold for this family?

She was removed because ``she was climbing under the seat and hitting the parents and wouldn't get in her seat'' during boarding, AirTran spokeswoman Judy Graham-Weaver said.

AirTran officials say they were only following Federal Aviation Administration rules that children age 2 and above must have their own seat and be wearing a seatbelt upon takeoff.

As I read through the article and the family's assertion's of not being allowed to console their daughter (what were they doing for the 15 mins waiting for take off)? There desire to publicize this in the paper and belief that getting refunded tickets and future travel on Airtran is still not enough speaks volumes of what kind of people they are.

story here

Wow a tough call, by the crew. On the one hand there is no reasoning with a small child, like you can an adult. But how long can an airline, crew and 112 other people on that flight be expected to put there lives on hold for this family?

As I read through the article and the family's assertion's of not being allowed to console their daughter (what were they doing for the 15 mins waiting for take off)? There desire to publicize this in the paper and belief that getting refunded tickets and future travel on Airtran is still not enough speaks volumes of what kind of people they are.story here

More "Victim Culture". <_<
"My child is out of control, and it's all your fault."

Based on the article? Good, tough call by Airtran.

I disagree. This was a bad call by Airtran. Nationwide negative publicity in primtime news.

Nothing is worth that. :down: :down: :down:
I realize the article said the aircraft was going from RSW to BOS, but if this was not a late night flight (before the aircraft was "going to bed"), not only are the other 112 passengers late into BOS, but everyone out of BOS is late. If this aircraft was eventually going from BOS to ATL, all of those pax are late and possibly missing connections. Without being there and/or knowing more details, it's hard to say this was right or wrong. I don't think it's "negative publicity" to show your customers that you won't let one delay 200+.

Well, if WNer says its bad, it was probably the right thing to do.
No way should 1 hold up 100. If they couldnt get her under control in a timely manner, then they need to get off. Not only that, but if she was already acting this way before takeoff, what could she have done inflight? I would have felt sorry for everyone having to endure that for 3 hours.

Well, if WNer says its bad, it was probably the right thing to do.
No way should 1 hold up 100. If they couldnt get her under control in a timely manner, then they need to get off. Not only that, but if she was already acting this way before takeoff, what could she have done inflight? I would have felt sorry for everyone having to endure that for 3 hours.
It amazes me how people distort reality from their own world, time and time again. First of all, if the child was that un-ruly, and the parents could not control the child, by all means, move them to another flight. If this flight was sold out, why should 114 other PAX & crew have to listen to and put up with an 'out of control child'. Most of us are parents and understand how the 'kiddies' can be at times and I for one, would not hesitate to remove myself voluntarily, if my child was going to be a hassle. That's why Rental Cars have trunks!!! :lol: I remember several weeks ago, while on a trip, a couple with a youngster had removed the Gate Check Tag from the Child Seat so the child would not have to sit in Mom's lap. Since they hadn't paid for an extra seat, the Lead F/A told them NO. OMG, I thought the husband was going to start a fight. Flipping idiots! I still think AirTran taking Midwest to Court 'Trumps' this story by a long shot, but perhaps WNer can correct me too. B)

I disagree. This was a bad call by Airtran. Nationwide negative publicity in primtime news.

Nothing is worth that. :down: :down: :down:
And like the airline that allowed an unaccompanied NINE Year old to travel from Seattle to Texas should have a comment on anything? GOOD JOB AIRTRAN!

:up: I wish air tran flew to roa.This new generation of new age parents are a joke.Many times while going out to eat,some spoiled brat is ruining the dining of many patrons by yelling,screaming,and running up and down between tables while sappy parents display the "what can i do with this child" look.An aircraft with paying passengers should in NO WAY be subjected to an out of control poorly raised child.Two thumbs up for air tran.

Other issues that haven't been brought up are legality and courtesy. It would be illegal to close the main cabin door or begin pushback with this child not seated. And her parents, nor anyone who thinks the wrong decision was made, haven't said how much time would have been appropriate in this situation. "...we needed more time..." is ambiguous at best. "We think 17 more minutes, in addition to the 15 we're already late, for our daughter to calm down and be seated, and 54 of you missing your connecting flight", would let your fellow travelers know where you stand. Not knowing these folks, I can't say that they're that rude and uncaring. I think that some people honestly don't realize how much their children, pets, etc. affect others. I'm sure I've been guilty of this myself. My, or other's lack of understanding doesn't change what decision needs to be made, when efforts to explain have fallen on deaf ears.

This story made Chicago radio and the Tribune.

The 101.9 morning jocks were 100% behind Airtran, and mentioned how it is travelling with their own children (for those of you about to go there). <_<

The informal Tribune poll has more than 91% of the respondants saying the airline did the right thing.

The only error, in this whole topic, are the people who assume that WNr speaks for SWA. :rolleyes:

Here's something I found in another article:
Her mom thinks it may have been because of the ear surgery Elly underwent earlier this month, and perhaps her memory of the discomfort and ear pressure she endured during the plane’s descent into Florida

I had to look twice...the surgery was "earlier this month"...and the flight down to Ft Meyers was on the 14th? EAR SURGERY??? Did they discuss this trip with the kids doctor/surgeon? How much earlier in the month was the surgery before the flight down to Florida on the 14th? ...and how much discomfort did the kid feel? I can imagine feeling ear pressure after surgery on the trip down, combined with the feelings from the RSW-MCO leg...the kid might really have had a valid reason for the "tantrum". I'm beginning to feel kind of sorry for the kid - Perhaps they will provide the parents address so I can send them an "I'm with Supid" T-shirt for kid.

Here's something I found in another article:

I had to look twice...the surgery was "earlier this month"...and the flight down to Ft Meyers was on the 14th? EAR SURGERY??? Did they discuss this trip with the kids doctor/surgeon? How much earlier in the month was the surgery before the flight down to Florida on the 14th? ...and how much discomfort did the kid feel? I can imagine feeling ear pressure after surgery on the trip down, combined with the feelings from the RSW-MCO leg...the kid might really have had a valid reason for the "tantrum". I'm beginning to feel kind of sorry for the kid - Perhaps they will provide the parents address so I can send them an "I'm with Supid" T-shirt for kid.
KC, If I understand correctly, they were on a RSW/BOS Flight. We don't do in-state flights in FLA so the RSW/MCO leg doesn't fly, but I will check our schedule to see if there is a non-stop. As for previous surgery, this is the first I've heard of that and one would have to wonder....

Hey the crew was just following FAA rules - over 2 and belted in or you do not take off - doesn't matter if your 3 or 50. I am tired of seeing parents who cannot control their kids think that everyone else should have to put up with their unruly behavior. If I were those parents I would be embarrassed to go on national news and play the "poor us" card. GOOD CALL by the crew and I'm sure everyone who made it to their destinations/connections feels the same way. :up: