Close Call in Austin Tx.?

SWAMECH

Veteran
Apr 26, 2005
Of course they need to investigate, however, if FedX was given the clearance to land, and the airline was given the clearance to takeoff by controller, it's not an airline or Pilot's fault. Looks like they will be going to the recordings to see who messed up on which clearance.

• Haha
Reactions: WeAAsles
Interesting YouTube clip by a pilot breaking this incident down. Most alarming (to me, anyway) is that the FX pilot calls for WN to abort, not the controller. By this point, the tower has lost control of the situation.

Interesting YouTube clip by a pilot breaking this incident down. Most alarming (to me, anyway) is that the FX pilot calls for WN to abort, not the controller. By this point, the tower has lost control of the situation.

Thanks for sharing that Kev. Mind boggling to say the least.
Notice how quiet the tower was once the FedEx Pilot took full control, not ONE word from the tower until and only until after the FedEx landed on second approach and the tower thanked him for being professional about it.
I cannot believe tower did not instruct the abort, it took an active flight landing to instruct the abort.
1st and foremost the SWA flight should have NEVER been cleared for line up on runway since heavy was on ILS.
This is a big deal and could have been way worse if not for an alert FedEx Pilot. Thank the Lord we did not have another aircraft landing on top of another.