Co-pilot arrested on alcohol charges

As for the comment about Hotel's giving Drink Discounts, every Hotel I go to that does so applies them to ALL Carriers.

FWIW, all the hotels that I stayed at did not give drink discounts. In fact, the majority did not.

FWIW, all the hotels that I stayed at did not give drink discounts. In fact, the majority did not.
I agree. But, the original post said that SWA negotiated drink discounts for its employees. I know that AA does not do this. Food discounts in the restaurants, but not drink discounts (though some hotels give it anyway, I think. Can't say for sure. I don't drink.)

And, I doubt that SWA negotiates drink discounts in its hotel contracts. That is potential trouble on so many levels. If they do, they should bear part of the responsibility for the incident.

jimntx..I have a feeling they DO work deals at hotels SWA stays. I was in LAS not long ago and the bartender ASK me if I was with SWA. I ask why do you ask? He said they (SWA) get a NICE discount on drinks her at the hotel!! It happened in an upper New York state hotel also....thrust me they do!! I remember talking with a couple of girls that stupidly identified themselves to me as being SWA fa's and that they came back to the hotel after going to a "local" watering hole to "refresh" themselves because it was CHEAPER at the hotel...it's NEVER cheaper at hotels...UNLESS!

jimntx..I have a feeling they DO work deals at hotels SWA stays. I was in LAS not long ago and the bartender ASK me if I was with SWA. I ask why do you ask? He said they (SWA) get a NICE discount on drinks her at the hotel!! It happened in an upper New York state hotel also....thrust me they do!! I remember talking with a couple of girls that stupidly identified themselves to me as being SWA fa's and that they came back to the hotel after going to a "local" watering hole to "refresh" themselves because it was CHEAPER at the hotel...it's NEVER cheaper at hotels...UNLESS!
My brothers wife's cousins hairdresser told me the very same thing :rolleyes:

I never said that hotels don't give airline discounts on drinks. What I said was that I doubt very seriously that SWA negotiates alcohol discounts in its hotel contracts. A lot of hotels that are required by contract to give food discounts go ahead and give a discount on drinks also because it's simpler that way.

I was on a layover at a nice hotel last month. My dinner bill was $16.21. The server gave me $4.00 change for a $20 because she "didn't know how to make change for the 21 cents." (Her words, not mine.)

Lord knows, when a restaurants/hotels can't find people who know how to make change anymore, it's just too difficult to tell them "when figuring the check, deduct 25% of the cost of the food AFTER the tax is calculated, but charge full price for the drinks." No check would ever get completed correctly. :lol:

What did "failing" the B.A. mean? Is it .10+, .08, .04 or .02. All of these values have meaning and can mean jail time or simply removing the crew member from the flight.

I only recently found out about the booze contracts at SWA. Our Training Center is located in Denver and I was there for a proficency checkride. The hotel is also the same hotel that SWA is using for its layovers in DEN for its new service. My F/O and I flew in thw day before our PC and were having dinner in the bar. One of the hotel managers I happen to know, he is an alumni of my university and we have chatted over the years, was passing through the bar. He stopped to talk and said "you guys need to get your company to get you the SWA discount on the bar tabs". I had never heard of this but he explained the process that while most airlines including my own negotiate food discounts, SWA also demands drink discounts in their hotel contracts.

This guy had no reason to lie to me. He in fact was encouraging us to try and get the same discount in our contract. I remember telling hi m that it is probably not an avenue UAL would go down due to the liability issue.

$1.00 for draft beer
$2.00 for mixed drinks
$3.00 for premium liquor

1-2-3

SWA has made the hotel honoring 1-2-3 part of their hotel contracts. I can also tell you that if you are staying at a hotel that SWA stays you can see 1-2-3 in action. (Notice that I did not infer any FAR violations in that statement.)

Then SWA seriously needs to re-think their layover hotel benefits policy. Particularly in the summer when there's nothing on TV except re-runs. It's too easy for people to spend too much time in the bar when they are bored out of their skulls on a long layover.

Great post hp_fa...KC, even that hairdresser you childishly referred to even knew about the liquor thing and the clauses in the hotel contracts. Maybe you don't know as much as you thing you know about your beloved SWA. Is SWA a GREAT airline you bet, never said it wasn't...but your never ending spin on EVERY story that comes out about SWA simply puts you in that group of over educated passengers that think they know it all when they really don't. "Ding" away pal..."Ding" away! Someday you'll see the light...well maybe not, your to far gone! For further information about the "industry" I would keep going back to that hairdresser, atleast he/she know the facts, something you don't!

"Ding"

If a guy wants to drink it doesn't matter if he had to make his own hooch in the hotel room- he will figure something out. The hotel policy is irrelevant. Why didn't someone he was with pull him aside and tell him to get out of there? Even if I hated a guy I wouldn't watch him take a fall.

Great post hp_fa...KC, even that hairdresser you childishly referred to even knew about the liquor thing and the clauses in the hotel contracts. Maybe you don't know as much as you thing you know about your beloved SWA. Is SWA a GREAT airline you bet, never said it wasn't...but your never ending spin on EVERY story that comes out about SWA simply puts you in that group of over educated passengers that think they know it all when they really don't. "Ding" away pal..."Ding" away! Someday you'll see the light...well maybe not, your to far gone! For further information about the "industry" I would keep going back to that hairdresser, atleast he/she know the facts, something you don't!

"Ding"
You're right...I sure don't know everything...never claimed to. But I question ANYTHING posted by magsau when it doesn't deal with the specifics of how a 320 braking system works, and I question anything that was heard second or third hand. Always have...always will.