Come celebrate the first anniversary of AA's TWA purchase.

AAquila

Senior
Sep 22, 2002
October 7th 2002, start-time 2000 hrs at the JFK Ramada Hotel, former LLCers wear your TWA best, AAers most welcome. For more info please call:
Adriana (636) 477-9995

Is this for real, or just a joke? Who would celebrate this fiasco? Would it be the TWA F/A's and pilots who got a job, but think they got screwed because they didn't get to go to the top of the seniority lists? Or would it be the IAM member's from STL and MCIE who won the lottery, and did go to the top of the seniority list? Or maybe it should be management who should be celebrating the fact that AA is now THE WORLD'S LARGEST AIRLINE. Or maybe it should be the original AAer's that should be happy that the TWA purchase brought so much VALUE to AA. I don't get it. How could anyone celebrate this blunder? I won't be R.S.V.P.ing.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/26/2002 5:53:51 AM bagsmasher wrote:

Is this for real, or just a joke? Who would celebrate this fiasco? Would it be the TWA F/A's and pilots who got a job, but think they got screwed because they didn't get to go to the top of the seniority lists? Or would it be the IAM member's from STL and MCIE who won the lottery, and did go to the top of the seniority list? Or maybe it should be management who should be celebrating the fact that AA is now "THE WORLD'S LARGEST AIRLINE." Or maybe it should be the original AAer's that should be happy that the TWA purchase brought so much "VALUE" to AA. I don't get it. How could anyone celebrate this blunder? I won't be R.S.V.P.ing.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Or maybe the AA'ers who are still working at the expense of the TWA people who suffered the majority of the furloughs?

Where would TWA and ALL its employees be today if AA had not bought it?

Even with the most optimistic veiw they would be knocking on the ATSB's door and looking at pay cuts.

Its unfortunate when a company where people have spent most of their lives working towards something goes under. When compared to workers from EAL, Pan Am and others the TWA guys made out pretty well.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/26/2002 7:23:20 PM Bob Owens wrote:

Where would TWA and ALL its employees be today if AA had not bought it?

Even with the most optimistic veiw they would be knocking on the ATSB's door and looking at pay cuts.

----------------
[/blockquote]

You know, I haven't heard many ex-TWA'ers deny this assumption that they all would have been without a job had it not been for the purchase by AMR. And many of us among the neutral third parties believe that it is only fair that they take a larger portion of the job cuts. However, the attitude shown by bagsmasher and some other on the AA side has been nothing short of ignorant and disgusting. They seem to believe that there would have been no cuts at AA had they not bought TWA, and blame the purchase for all their troubles. Most people can clearly see the error in this train of thought, and can see that there are many AA employees who now still have a job precisely because AA bought TWA and a very significant percentage of TWA employees were laid off. The least they can do is argue that the cuts were fair but show some acknowledgement that a TWA employee was laid off to keep them in their job. Taking the job that they wouldn't have had without the purchase and being bitter about it is insulting at best.

I think we should send bags to afghanistan. He could just whine al-queda out of there caves.

I think we should send bags to afghanistan. He could just whine al-queda out of there caves.

It would not do any good to send him over there. His whining would just make the al-queda madder at us....
This guy really needs to talk to someone and get a life.
He is making himself sick over something that he has/had no control over, just like the rest of us. I am retired, but I would take back what I had without any arguements.

[BR][BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][BR][BR][BR]----------------[BR]On 9/25/2002 10:48:56 PM AAquila wrote:[BR][BR]October 7th 2002, start-time 2000 hrs at the JFK Ramada Hotel, former LLCers wear your TWA best, AAers most welcome. For more info please call:[BR][BR]Adriana (636) 477-9995[BR][BR]----------------[BR][BR]Forgive me if I don't attend. I'll happily attend a TWA-only reunion (I plan to be at one this Saturday, in fact), but when it comes to the way AA's unions and some individuals have behaved themselves through all of this, it will be a long time before I can stomach the idea of including myself in any combined social activity.[/P]
[P] [/P][/BLOCKQUOTE]

However, the attitude shown by bagsmasher and some other on the AA side has been nothing short of ignorant and disgusting. They seem to believe that there would have been no cuts at AA had they not bought TWA, and blame the purchase for all their troubles. Most people can clearly see the error in this train of thought, and can see that there are many AA employees who now still have a job precisely because AA bought TWA and a very significant percentage of TWA employees were laid off. The least they can do is argue that the cuts were fair but show some acknowledgement that a TWA employee was laid off to keep them in their job. Taking the job that they wouldn't have had without the purchase and being bitter about it is insulting at best.

When did I EVER say there would be no cuts if AA hadn't bought TWA? That's ridiculous, and I can't believe you have read that into any of my postings. Of course AA would have had to scale back, regardless of the purchase. And yes there are many AAer's with a job today because of the TWA deal. That is the only value I see in this purchase. What I am bitter about is the IAM trying to undo what they gave away to get the deal done. I blame Don Carty for starting this whole mess, the TWU for not protecting it's members, and the IAM for it's part, and Mr. Kasher for working as hard as he could to interpret his way around our contract. The only TWAer's I have a problem with are the ones who think they all should have gone to the top of the seniority lists at AA. And that's exactly where a lot of them would be right now, had they recieved DOH. For example, AA's top Crew Chief in STL had 1969 seniority. Recently there were five openings for Crew Chief at STL. The junior of the five that got awarded the positions had 1966 seniority. At MCI, if TWA had got DOH, 10 of the top 12 FSC's would have been TWA. How that could be fair is beyond me. TWAer's being laid off before AAer's is exactly how I believe it should be done.

Shouldn't be hard to spot the original TWA'rs - they are the only ones that can be there because they lost their jobs in the deal.