Companies buy Northwest debt

jenny@nw

Veteran
Feb 20, 2006
pacific nw
Companies buy Northwest debt
BANKRUPTCY: Small businesses that are owed money by the airline are selling their claims to compensation for small percentages.

BY MARTIN J. MOYLAN

ST. PAUL PIONEER PRESS

ST. PAUL - Like thousands of other small businesses, the janitor supply firm that Lisa Needels runs was stiffed when Northwest Airlines filed for bankruptcy in September.
Also left with unpaid Northwest debts were hotels, taxi companies, upholsterers, bars, restaurants, luggage delivery services, caterers, ice suppliers and a multitude of other businesses. Who gets paid what and when will be sorted out as Northwest works out its reorganization plan in a New York bankruptcy court.

Needels figured it could be years before her business, Needels Janitor Supply in St. Paul's Lowertown, would get some of the $201.09 Northwest owed her for scrubbing pads and other supplies.

She was wrong. She has been promised a check for 25 percent of the debt. Other businesses report they've received offers for as little as 10 percent and as much as 32 percent of what they're owed.
Needels sold her claim to Trade-Debt.net, one of the firms that has been busy buying creditors' claims against Northwest. Needels will be happy to get $51.28 for her claim.

"If it was for more than $200, I would probably be upset," she said of what she expected to collect from Northwest. "It was not a significant enough amount to wait for."

Debt buyers are regular players in big corporate bankruptcies. Sometimes referred to as "vulture" investors, the firms can make money on the spread between what they pay for creditor claims and what they eventually collect on them.

"They're very sophisticated and can make a lot of money," said George Singer, a corporate bankruptcy attorney with the Lindquist & Vennum law firm in Minneapolis.

The longer a bankruptcy goes on, the more claims traders will be pitching unsecured creditors to sell their claims at a discount, Singer said.
Hundreds of small, unsecured creditors have sold claims ranging from $100 to $10,000. Unsecured creditors don't have anything they can take back from Northwest to recover what they're owed. These creditors stand to get paid just a fraction of their claims. In the recent United Airlines bankruptcy, for instance, unsecured creditors received eight cents on the dollar, payable in new United stock. United's stock has done better than expected, though, increasing the recovery rate of creditors who've sold shares.

Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest expects creditor claims against it eventually will run into the billions of dollars. It says it won't start getting a firm handle on the amount until after Aug. 16, the deadline for most creditors to file claims.

The airline gave the debt-buying firms a tremendous hand earlier this month. It submitted a more than 25,000-page filing that identifies about 170,000 individuals, business, government entities and other organizations that are -- or could be -- creditors.

The filing provided contact names and addresses. Deb Danko who runs the D'Animal House, an Apple Valley, Minn., kenneling service, is owed $11,105 by Northwest. She figured she would be lucky to get 10 percent of that money, years from now. She did much better.
ASM Capital first offered Danko 20 cents on the dollar for her claim. She was ready to accept it. But then she received another letter from ASM. It offered 32 percent. Danko accepted.

"I wasn't expecting to see anything from it anyway," Danko said. "I figured some money is better than none. I guess they have a better outlook on the airline than I do."

Well this is real painful stuff for the small biz owners. It isn't uncommon for local small businesses to go "belly up" when a big airline goes down. None of my customers are airlines...WHEW! The big airlines have always wanted outrageous terms in the best of times and therefore haven't been a good interest.

In the first few days after NW filed CH.11, the asst. manager in my previous station had to call all of our vendors and try to explain why we wouldn't be paying them, while cajoling them to keep providing services to us. The worst one was the "mom and pop" baggage delivery service; at the time, we owed them over 10K.

Here in my (now not so) new city, the guy that does our plant maintenance (note: we never had NW PM techs here) has been told twice to get out of auto parts stores because the owners are sick of getting stiffed by NWA.

"I guess they have a better outlook on the airline than I do."

Another "satisfied" Scab Air victim. I wonder what airline she will be flying? :unsure:

I remember receiving a phone call from a competitor's primary account. The guy told me that he wanted to purchase a our equipment. The only problems was that he had recently filed Chapter 11 and had only an old name that had become worthless. I told him "We are so busy that we can't deliver any new equipment for a few months." He knew I was "throwing game" at him and begged for a line of credit. I informed him that he would have to establish his credit again then apply for a credit line. Eventually I told him that I had to leave (just so I could get off the phone). These guys are shameless.

<_< ----- No, they're the one who get paid first!!!! :shock:

True. And right after they get paid and taxes get paid, so will everyone else who provided goods and services AFTER the bankruptcy filing for the stuff they provided after the filing.

Only people who will get screwed are those who provided stuff PRIOR to the bankruptcy filing, and anyone who didn't demand payment up front from NW was just plane stupid. It was obvious a long time ago that NW (and DL) would eventually file Ch 11. Small businesses left holding worthless NW unsecured claims have nobody to blame but themselves.

True. And right after they get paid and taxes get paid, so will everyone else who provided goods and services AFTER the bankruptcy filing for the stuff they provided after the filing.

Only people who will get screwed are those who provided stuff PRIOR to the bankruptcy filing, and anyone who didn't demand payment up front from NW was just plane stupid. It was obvious a long time ago that NW (and DL) would eventually file Ch 11. Small businesses left holding worthless NW unsecured claims have nobody to blame but themselves.
True to a point.

Goods and services provided after the filing date are being paid as normal on a monthly basis (or whatever the terms of the billing). It's only those goods/services provided prior to the filing that were not yet paid at the date of filing that fall under the bankruptcy realm. Those payables will likely be paid pennies on the dollar when it's all said and done, most likely in the form of stock in the reorganized entity. Since it was a mid-month (Sep) filing, most vendors were out a half-month to one and a half-months of revenue, depending on the timing of when their August invoice was payable.

As far as vendor responsibility in this manner, again you are correct, to a point. The larger vendors in our area did negotiate in early 2005 pre-payment terms for their goods/services, and thus did not take a hit when the filing occurred. It's a little tougher for smaller vendors to force pre-payment terms, simply due to the lack of leverage they have in negotiating something like that.

It would be interesting if the complicit businesses in the NWA AMFA Union busting scheme (Trainers, Hotels, Restaurants, Security, and etc…) get an equal screwing or ‘somehow’ :p preferential treatment in regards to their claims. If they screw them, then I doubt there will be much ‘trust’ in future ScabSistence. It would also be interesting to know what other ‘unions’ assisted in this debacle without forethought as to their complicity.

B) UT

P.S
Your self imposed superior analysis on the small business owners that were screwed by NWA would be well appreciated by them. Of course, NWA made them sign a safe harbor agreement every time they made a contractual commitment. Just to let them know that they might not get paid if they go BK.