Competitive Issues - ALPA Response

Hi AOG,

First, I really enjoy your posts - most informative.
Second, I hate you're being furloughed: I figure I'll get it in January.

Here's a 'shoulda,coulda, woulda for you.

When NW wanted to get into RJ's in a big way, they grandfathered the stations converted from mainline to express. How humane! They saw the need, got ahead of the curve, created a win-win situation. Unlike U, where management MUST leave you squealin' from the feelin'!

Good luck in your endeavours.

Dio

AOG-N-IT wrote:

I just have to laugh at the range of different compensation levels...for people providing an alike service at the different carriers of the size being reviewed.

How can any carrier pay 30% more for something...and expect to remain viable? I have asked this question a zillion times regarding U and it's parity scheme of the past.

----------------

I guess it's called the free marketplace. I'll bet in software companies there is a wide disparity of compensation between companies and even within the same company for identicle work.

It's not labors' job to manage the payroll of the airlines. That's management's job. Look at Mr. Goodwin of UAL. The summer before the Summer of Discontent in Denver, the union told him that he couldn't fly next year's schedule without voluntary overtime. Next summer rolls around and voila, he slow rolls ALPA on contract talks. What did he think was going to happen? Then at the end of the summer, after his p*ss*d off all of his customers, Mr. Goodwin settles for a more expensive contract than he could have had at the BEGINNING of the summer. On top of that there's the US Air and Avolar abortions that bled UAL white. Then after he weakened UAL to it's knees, 9/11 and the economic downturn comes. Mr. Goodwin and his management team are responsible for the mess UAL is in. Ditto to Wolf/Gangwall and US Air. Companies that have bad labor relations almost always have bad management.