CONTINENTAL (now) Talking to AMERICAN and BA !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delta is withdrawing 45 aircraft from its fleet in order to achieve a 10% year-over-year decrease in domestic capacity (TheStreet.com). Northwest is likely to ground a whole bunch of fuel guzzling ancient DC-9s. The two carriers' route networks may overlap on only 12 non-stop city pairs; however, the majority of passengers of network carriers connect at hubs en route to their destinations. There is much more overlap of the Delta and Northwest networks than that figure would suggest.

My statement was in regards to any necessitated DOJ divestitures. What happens after the merge is purely speculative. In addition, 25 of the 45 aircraft you refer to are 50 seat RJ's.
Northwest operates a DC-9 fleet that totals roughly 100 aircraft and IIRC from the ALPA presentation, approximately 35 are scheduled for retirement.

DOJ mandated divestitures will not be limited to overlapping non-stop routes.

As I said, negligible at best especially on the international side of the house. DL is currently largest across the Atlantic and would be second in the Pacific and Latin America with the proposed merge. You will not see very much DOJ mandated divestiture at all.

As I said, negligible at best especially on the international side of the house. DL is currently largest across the Atlantic and would be second in the Pacific and Latin America with the proposed merge. You will not see very much DOJ mandated divestiture at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DL ...2nd in South America ??

I was thinking maybe CO was 2nd.

Ah,..moot point anyway,....because we ALL Know who the Very CLEAR # 1 is !!!!!!!!! :up: :up:

(Mucho Dinero $$$$$$$ being "raked in" down there !! :up:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DL ...2nd in South America ??

I was thinking maybe CO was 2nd.

Ah,..moot point anyway,....because we ALL Know who the Very CLEAR # 1 is !!!!!!!!! :up: :up:

(Mucho Dinero $$$$$$$ being "raked in" down there !! :up:

Re-read my post. "DL is currently largest across the Atlantic and would be second in the Pacific and Latin America with the proposed merge FYI, DL/NW:
Global Ranking: #1 ASM Share (6.8 percent); #1 Flight Share (8.0 percent); and #1 Seat Share (6.5 percent). As a combined carrier, Delta will be the #1 U.S. carrier to Japan; #1 U.S. carrier to Europe; #1 U.S. carrier in Africa; #1 U.S. carrier in the Middle East and India; #2 U.S. carrier in Asia and the #2 U.S. carrier in Latin America.

I believe CO is currently second in Latin America.

] FYI, DL/NW:
Global Ranking: #1 ASM Share (6.8 percent); #1 Flight Share (8.0 percent); and #1 Seat Share (6.5 percent). As a combined carrier, Delta will be the #1 U.S. carrier to Japan; #1 U.S. carrier to Europe; #1 U.S. carrier in Africa; #1 U.S. carrier in the Middle East and India; #2 U.S. carrier in Asia and the #2 U.S. carrier in Latin America.

Being #1 may mean something in your eyes (ego), but it doesn't mean diddly if your management can't get it together. Remember the management that runs DL is just recycled from other airlines that got rid of them. If they were so good, why didn't they stay? We all know the answer there. :shock:

Being #1 may mean something in your eyes (ego), but it doesn't mean diddly if your management can't get it together. Remember the management that runs DL is just recycled from other airlines that got rid of them. If they were so good, why didn't they stay? We all know the answer there. :shock:

Who said anything about being good? Those are simply statistics. If you have a problem with them, then you have a problem with reality.

Out of curiosity, how would adding NW latin america routes jump DL to #2? Does NW even fly to latin america?

Out of curiosity, how would adding NW latin america routes jump DL to #2? Does NW even fly to latin america?
Actually NW doesn't fly to latin America. They code share with CO.

Jan - Dec 2007 RPK's (000)

Latin America
AA - 36,912,143
CO - 16,077,101
DL&NW - 15,689,156

NW Alone - 000,000,000

Pacific Operations

UA 42,527,624
DL/NW 34,253,101
AA 9,021,711
CO 7,583,487

Atlantic Operations

DL/NW 63,701,003
CO 32,439,590
AA 32,199,528
UA 27,448,962 (Adding USAirways would make it around 41,000,000 YTD)

Who said anything about being good? Those are simply statistics. If you have a problem with them, then you have a problem with reality.

I did. It was a simple question which you evaded. If the management was so good why aren't they still running their former airlines?

What are you basing your facts on? Pax's, RPM's or ASM's? In any given category some airline among the US carriers is #1 and it isn't always DL. DL also included regional operations in their system traffic, where as the others don't. So, compare apples to apples. The merger has a long way to go until it's completed if all.

Apparantly, Delta wouldn't move up in the rankings in Latin America with a NW merger. Just so you know NW doesn't even fly there according to other posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts