Continental Reports Profit.

Red Tail Bear

Senior
Apr 21, 2004
(source Yahoo Finance)

CO posted a 2nd qtr profit of $100 million.

Great Job CO !!!

Given the present BRUTAL US airline enviroment, this is a VERY impressive accomplishment.

Again GREAT job CO. !!!

NH/BB's

Let's not get carried away. Although CO reported a net profit of $100 million, excluding the one-time gain on the disposition of XJET stock to the pension plan reduces the profit to $53 million. Still impressive. CO and AMR managed to do what even WN cannot: Pay market prices for fuel and still turn a profit. Without fuel hedging, WN would have lost a lot of money this past quarter.

whatkindoffreshhell said:
Troll alert!!!

Now we have proof (from the source no less) and that old goofball NHBB can now be completely dismissed credibility-wise.

Harry Caray much?
[post="282838"][/post]​

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK,..... w-k-o-f-h, Your certainly entitled to you opinion.

BUT one thing is "GD" sure. After a "few" years on these boards, I've NEVER said anything I did'nt mean !!!!

Sure I've said things that we're proven wrong, by my counterparts, and have gone on record as such.

SO,
In summary; If I congratulate CO, and their employees, on a job well done, you can "BET YOUR A$$" that I mean it !! (Even if "YOU" choose not to !!)

Different strokes, for different folks !!

NH/BB's

(OK, I'll TRY it again, USING the correct(mine) screen name !!)

OK w-k-o-f-h, your entitled to your opinion.

But one thing is "GD" sure, after a few years on these boards, I've NEVER said ANYTHING I did'nt mean !!!!!!!!

Sure, I've said things that were proven wrong by my counterparts, and have gone on record as such.

So if I congratulate CO, and their employees, you can "BET YOUR A$$" that I mean it !!!! (Even if "YOU" choose not to) !!

Different strokes, for different folks.

NH/BB,s

(This time I'll "sign out" of my "offsprings" computer) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FWAAA said:
Let's not get carried away. Although CO reported a net profit of $100 million, excluding the one-time gain on the disposition of XJET stock to the pension plan reduces the profit to $53 million. Still impressive. CO and AMR managed to do what even WN cannot: Pay market prices for fuel and still turn a profit. Without fuel hedging, WN would have lost a lot of money this past quarter.
[post="282845"][/post]​

This comment about WN is being said on a few threads and its plain wrong. Yup, if WN paid more for fuel and sat on their hands and did nothing they'd make a loss. But WN is way smarter than that, and bet your last dollar that as their hedged prices creep up, they'll be pricing differenntly, rejigging the network, to continue to make sure they a) make a profit B) continue to provide valu-for-money travel and c) continue to put the squeeze on the competition.

And they have good hedges that will keep their fuel costs below those of others well into the future.

WN haven't made a profit through the last several economic cycles just because they got their hedges right ....

[fume]

FWAAA said:
Let's not get carried away.   Although CO reported a net profit of $100 million, excluding the one-time gain on the disposition of XJET stock to the pension plan reduces the profit to $53 million.   Still impressive.  CO and AMR managed to do what even WN cannot:   Pay market prices for fuel and still turn a profit.   Without fuel hedging, WN would have lost a lot of money this past quarter.
[post="282845"][/post]​

FWAA, you have poor financial assumptions re WN. You are assuming that if WN didn't have hedges they would be acting the same as they are now. When a model assumption changes the company will change pricing, costs, routes etc. A company won't remain stagnant. Hedges allow the fuel to be a known factor in planning. One big expense that I can think of that would make your assumptions incorrect is proft sharing. But then again maybe at AA your not used to those contributions :shock: