Could AA buy AS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be an interesting twist to see AS merge with AA. Not a whole lot of overlap once you get away from west coast flying out of LAX, and that's only a positive.

DOJ might interfere, and then again they might not. AS isn't exactly a low fare carrier.

Worst case, they'd have to give up some gates in LAX.

and some people would be disappointed to find out that other people don't agree with what is written.

as for AA/AS, it won't happen for a host of reasons, all of which are the same reasons DL/AS won't work either.

somehow some people think that AA should or will be able to redefine history that hasn't worked for DL or UA, whether it be a bunch of LAX to Asia flying or creating partnerships.

I found the article quite interesting    For example  its been no secret that KE and DL relation has been souring  So that Im sure played a role in them doing a Joint thing with AA granted out of DFW   Now on to AS  Given that AS and DL has to an extent their relation detoriated and seems to be going down hill  wonder how long it would be before say AS joins One World  or even Star.  

I did... you didn't like it. so what else is new.

There are multiple reasons why AA and AS won't merge and a whole lot more reasons why AS will merge with a non-network carrier.

LD3 said:
How would the competitive landscape change in SEA if the buyout went through?
It would probably be a net positive for DL, given that AA wouldn't be able to keep up AS's standards of service.

Chances are high that AA would keep SEA as a hub and they'd probably have to commit to keep the existing patterns of service north of SEA. Southeast of there, given how few head to head overlaps there are, I'm skeptical DOJ would have issues outside perhaps some gates at LAX.

sorry but SEA makes no sense as a domestic hub for AA. The only thing "north" of SEA is Alaska and DL seems hellbent in throwing as much capacity as possible into the market to ensure that the viability of the northern flows won't work under any other scenario, such as AA's higher costs, and may quit working for AS.

the only reason AS has built SEA into a hub is because it is where they have been for decades and because they have no other viable hub that is any better located.

AA could not possibly make money operating most of the flows that AS carries over SEA.

I think a much more likely scenario ( and one that is gaining traction under the radar ) is American buying
Hawaiian.

yes, that is also a viable scenario. it won't do anything for AS which is the one that is feeling the pressure the most right now.

and HA does have a route to HND.... that might be the way that AA finally gets in.

HA also has lots of debt.. but then so does AA.

WorldTraveler said:
further, buying AS would likely result in gates being freed up at SEA as the hub is shut down (a PNW domestic hub makes no geographic sense anyway) which would only help DL, regardless of who buys AS.

I love these DL rules the world fairy tales.
Yes, SEA makes no sense as a hub for a carrier like AA, but for DL it is almost a crown jewel.
The spin, the double standard, it is quite amazing.

I do find it fascinating that in all your scenarios, you don't mention that at SEA, if AA/AS were to happen, that history could repeat itself and DL could be humbled in a similar manner it was by AA at DFW.

again, your reading comprehension is severely lacking.

DL isn't operating a domestic hub. It is operating an int'l hub.

AS doesn't operate a single int'l flight across the Atlantic or the Pacific. DL is up to 8 or 9 or some number that is larger than all other carriers combined from SEA.

You can't and won't accept that AA's costs are so much higher than AS' that most of the SEA hub wouldn't work for AA - which is why DL has a fraction of the capacity AS has in the market and uses major portions of it to feed int'l routes.

the only spin is your mind in the blur of confusion with trying to figure out how to find a little bit more dirt to throw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back