Could US have any interest in Midwest?

CLTTPA

Aug 2, 2004
The board of Midwest Airlines has formed a "Board Panel" to evaluate strategic alternatives in relation to the offer by AirTran. They are not limiting the alternatives only to the offer by AirTran. Since US is big on industry consolidation, will US have any interest??

[post="0"]UPDATE - Midwest Air to start talks with AirTran, others [/post]

OMG, I hope not. We do not want yet another airline ruined, especially a great one like Midwest!

I'm curious - which airline were you referring to as being ruined? Neither America West OR US Airways had a whole lot going for them!

But remember MKE is 'Beer City."

While Midwest is still a good airline, like others its not "great" anymore with all of their cutbacks.

Their customer service is still the tops

This makes as much sense as a trailer park management firm buying 200 Park Avenue in New York (formerly the Pan Am building, since re-titled to MetLife).

The last thing US needs is another small domestic, small plane airline with a beyond secondary hub to add to it's domestic, small plane airline with secondary hubs. US is a network carrier, it is not an LCC (except for labor). It needs to get in the pants of one of the big boys and quick, or it will be runway roadkill.

Midwest is a cool little airline and I hope they make it independently. Hopefully there will always be room in the industry for niche carriers like Midwest that quietly do a fantastic job at what they do.

And unfortunately, Midwest continues to under perform and disappoint it's investors. Earlier this year, they announced that they would be changing the configuration of the the 717 so that roughly 50% the cabin is 2 x 3, basically indicating that their current product is not viable in this industry. I really do wish them the best and hope that FL doesn't get a hold of them, but it might be in their best interest.

PineyBob, it'd be nice but I think it's all but a pipeline dream to see Forklift Joe do such a thing, especially when so many of FLs routes are concentrated in the highly-leisure Florida market.

On a side note, I think YX would do well with a MCI-PHL route.