Midwest Hub/focus City

Status
Not open for further replies.

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
One of the interesting debates on this message board was the discussion on whether or not the US Airways - America West merger would create a midwest hub or focus city. In my opinion, the new US Airways will create a midwest operation with options ORD (dependent upon UAl's ability to survive and not have to sell assets), STL, of DEN (possibly with Frontier).

Today the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said, "In response to recent questions from employees, America West Airlines appears not to have ruled out the creation of a Midwestern "focus city" as part of a merger with Eastern-heavy US Airways, but did acknowledge in a company newsletter that it was "unlikely in the short term."

I agree that there will not be a midwest hub/focus city in the near-term as the two companies work on integration issues, but I will be surprised if a midwest hub/focus city is not developed in the future, which could add 3 to 4 connecting transcon opportunities per passenger per day.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

would MCI be a good focus city as I know that it wont be a good hub? i ve never been to mci but have heard that their security is worse than some other places. may be someone from mci can enlighten as to whether or not mci would be a good focus city

robbedagain,

From a geographic and airside infrastructure standpoint, MCI would be an excellent "mid-continent" location. Unfortunately, that's where it ends.

Designed & built long before security screening, the terminal design is something of a mini-DFW with semi-circular terminals that provide short distances between the curb and any gate. Unfortunately, that is it's drawback in the world we live in today. Due to space constraints, every two gates (at least in our portion) have their own security checkpoint - great for O&D traffic but dismal for connections.

MCI Layout

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
robbedagain,
Due to space constraints, every two gates (at least in our portion) have their own security checkpoint - great for O&D traffic but dismal for connections.
Jim
[post="279290"][/post]​

What's even worse for most passengers...
The security checkpoints are right at the gates. Once you go through, you don't even have access to rest rooms, much less food vendors, etc.

Light Years said:
We already serve all the important markets out of there anyway, like Dodge City and Salina. :)
[post="279291"][/post]​

Hey...you'd be surprised at all the B1900's painted up in US colors flying in from Hays and Junction City.

Jim...you forgot to mention that there aren't any restrooms or concessions past security either. Side note....if your travels ever bring you thru MCI with an overnight, PM me...I wouldn't mind meeting and buying you your beverage of choice.

BoeingBoy's MCI analysis is correct and valid. This airport has relatively poor O&D traffic and failed as a hub/focus city for Eastern, the second Braniff, and to a lesser extent US Airways in the late 80's/early 90s.

As the industry shakeout evolves there could be other opportunities in cities like ORD & DEN, but I do not believe United will fail or dramatically, at least in the near-term. In my opinion the two likely options for Doug Parker could be STL and DEN, with possibly Frontier an acquisition target down the road.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

There actually are restrooms in the US portion at MCI. They are behind the escalator leading to the express gates. Fortunately, most people never figure that out so they are always clean. Oops..shouldn't have said that.

USA320Pilot said:
BoeingBoy's MCI analysis is correct and valid. This airport has relatively poor O&D traffic and failed as a hub/focus city for Eastern, the second Braniff, and to a lesser extent US Airways in the late 80's/early 90s.

As the industry shakeout evolves there could be other opportunities in cities like ORD & DEN, but I do not believe United will fail or dramatically, at least in the near-term. In my opinion the two likely options for Doug Parker could be STL and DEN, with possibly Frontier an acquisition target down the road.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="279314"][/post]​

320 pilot - O&D traffic shouldn't matter all that much for a hub...after all, the object of a hub is to accomodate connecting passengers. It wasn't lack of O&D traffic (indeed, most of Southwest's traffic is O&D), it was the layout of the terminal. In the mid to late 80's, you walked thru a metal detector as headed for the jetway. In the 90's it changed to clearing security before entering the gate area. That was the real death knell to using MCI as any sort of hub.

FWIW, it's design has one big drawback for O&D passengers. It takes you all of 2 minutes to get to the baggage claims from the gate, which makes the wait for bags to seem like an eternity.

jimntx said:
What's even worse for most passengers...
The security checkpoints are right at the gates. Once you go through, you don't even have access to rest rooms, much less food vendors, etc.
[post="279309"][/post]​
KCFlyer said:
Jim...you forgot to mention that there aren't any restrooms or concessions past security either.
[post="279310"][/post]​

You're both absolutely right - and thanks gso2pit for the "secret" location :up: - I forgot the bathroom situation.....

Jim

You can count out STL for the future also. When they are done buying up suburban STL for the new runway, an extra $3-$6 will be added to the cost per passenger flying to/from STL for the airlines. I think they should at least wait until they find out whether the Wright Amendment gets repealed. DFW might support their ops as well, irregardless of what AA plans. Everything is going up in costs. They need to go for the best available market if they choose to add in the midwest.

STL is a non-starter. AA still maintains a sizeable focus city there (in essence to grab what chunk of the O&D market they can) and LUV has a significant presence, both of which would kill the yield out of a relalatively poor O&D market hub.

DEN is interesting, but the costs are astronomical and the only way to gain entry into the market would require both a UA failure and acquiring FRNT.

How about the other STL airport on the east side in Illinois? Mid-American or something like that. It's an empty facility waiting to be used. Some of the real low cost carriers used to use it... don't know if anyone is there now, but it's empty looking for use.

Status
Not open for further replies.