Current AA retiree health insurance ?

Aug 20, 2002
Hey guys/gals....... Do we AA/TWU retirees 'still' have retiree health insurance ?
I mean, soooo much stuff has gone on since the BK that I'm not sure of my own question.

Scenario- A, ....If your retired and under 65...what (if anything) do we have ?

Scenario- B, ....If your retired and over 65...what (if anything) do we have ?

Scenario- C, ....After the merger Then (hypothetically) What ?

Thanx, in advance !!

Hey guys/gals....... Do we AA/TWU retirees 'still' have retiree health insurance ?
I mean, soooo much stuff has gone on since the BK that I'm not sure of my own question.

Scenario- A, ....If your retired and under 65...what (if anything) do we have ?

Scenario- B, ....If your retired and over 65...what (if anything) do we have ?

Scenario- C, ....After the merger Then (hypothetically) What ?

Thanx, in advance !!

Stay tune Bear...the BK judge has not yet decided on this matter....

Thanx 'Barf .... for the update.
Hello Bears! looks like we're both on the same side of the retirement fence this time. I believe the judge is waiting to see how the merger shakes out. But who am I?--------We'll just to have to wait it out. And after the merger? I don't think anyone knows!

Hello Bears! looks like we're both on the same side of the retirement fence this time. I believe the judge is waiting to see how the merger shakes out. But who am I?--------We'll just to have to wait it out. And after the merger? I don't think anyone knows!

Well in my case MCI, I'm 67+..so I'm grabbing SS, and went back to work @ 66 working full time @ AMTRAK. But after Amtrak it'd be nice to know if I WE have AA retiree to help out with Medicare. I'm NOT counting on AA, but better to think negative in this case, so if it turns out OK, well, all the better.
Do you have your medicare yet, if I May ask ?

Well in my case MCI, I'm 67+..so I'm grabbing SS, and went back to work @ 66 working full time @ AMTRAK. But after Amtrak it'd be nice to know if I WE have AA retiree to help out with Medicare. I'm NOT counting on AA, but better to think negative in this case, so if it turns out OK, well, all the better.
Do you have your medicare yet, if I May ask ?
We are in the same boat here Bears. Even though we are fans of differant football teams! ------ Yes, I'm on medicare, and my wife also.-------- As far as AA's health insurance, when on medicare, it is concidered secondary, and frankly hasn't paid a cent in the last two years anyway. -------- My own opinon is we have more to fear from Obamacare than the BK judge. I feel once fully implemented, it would be cheaper for AA to simply drop health insurance for it's employees/ retirees, and pay the penalty, and they would jump at the chance to do so, leaving it's employees high and dry, on their own without insurance!

Being that you guys actually laid out cash for this insurance I would think that if he rules for the company that you guys would be added as creditors.

Being that you guys actually laid out cash for this insurance I would think that if he rules for the company that you guys would be added as creditors.
O.K. So what would that get us? That and $3.00 would "maybe" buy us a cup of Starebucks coffe?

In a letter posted on your Jetnet ( welcome to the new American retiree page ) it states that AMR is " moving independently " on this matter, in other words as not a part of the merger, or street language, "we're screwed".

O.K. So what would that get us? That and $3.00 would "maybe" buy us a cup of Starebucks coffe?
Well depending on the arguement the lawyers make it could be something. Whats the value of what they are taking away? For guys who are under 65 it could easily be argued that its $10k a year, for those over 65 what does supplimental with a lifetime cap of $50k cost? You already paid for this, its not like they just provided this benefit with no out of pocket costs for you.

We are in the same boat here Bears. Even though we are fans of differant football teams! ------ Yes, I'm on medicare, and my wife also.-------- As far as AA's health insurance, when on medicare, it is concidered secondary, and frankly hasn't paid a cent in the last two years anyway. -------- My own opinon is we have more to fear from Obamacare than the BK judge. I feel once fully implemented, it would be cheaper for AA to simply drop health insurance for it's employees/ retirees, and pay the penalty, and they would jump at the chance to do so, leaving it's employees high and dry, on their own without insurance!

Well you'll get an argument from me on Obamacare. I support it, and think it will be OK.
(NO Morons on Fox News....do my Thinking for me) !
However MCI, where you've got a valid point IMHO, is that a lot of places will "take the $$ penalty" as thier "easiest $$ way out".

The problem with Obama care is they let it get watered down by the Insurance companies. Why force people to buy insurance from private providors who make a profit off it? Insurance companies are an added layer of profit taking from the suffering of people. I have no problem with Doctors making a lot of money, they should, but when you add in the Drug companies, Hospitals and Insurance companies there are too many hands in the till. Socialized medicine takes out the insurance companies , their main purpose is to take our money and skim off it for profit taking and making lawyers rich. They rape the patients and the Doctors and are a huge part of the total cost of our system and pretty much an unneccissary part. Thousands upon thousands of lawyers are getting rich off the Medical system and proceedures that are especially risky such as Childbirth are seeing fewer and fewer Doctors wishing to go into this field.

Back