Customer Service Comparison-from a member

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
One of our members related the following experience recently on our boards. I am posting here with his permission...

"The other day, I had an interesting opportunity to compare and contrast customer service between US and CO, trying to re-book a non-refundable ticket for flights I didn't take. First, some background: my company has changed travel agencies. As such, we were provided with a list of ticket numbers and amounts and were told to use them first - these were non-refundable tickets that were not flown and had residual value. Usually, our travel folks would deal with these, but, alas, they don't transfer between agencies (at least this is what we were told) and we're left to deal with the airlines directly. I found out last Tuesday (9/25) that I need to be in Baltimore Monday and Tuesday of the coming week (10/1 & 10/2) - Eureka! An opportunity to use one of these standing tickets. Here's my story:

US

Was hanging in the LGA club at a work carrell near the windows and the mouse traps. I found a US itinerary that met my time needs, and called the Platinum Preferred line to reuse a ticket with a value of just under $500. Rosita, the agent, had no idea what I was talking about. I provided her my ticket number 3 times and she "had no record of it." Before I could ask her to get a supervisor, she offered to put me on hold and get one to help me. Fine, no problem. Supervisor (who didn't give her name, unless her parents really were cruel and named her "Supervisor"...) comes on the line, and it becomes apparent that there will be a language barrier. As I sit in the club, screaming the ticket number into the phone, "ZERO - THREE - SEVEN - SEVEN - TWO - no, TWO - FOUR - etc." some others there silently wondered if I had neglected to take my medication that morning. After FINALLY communicating what I wanted to do, she says: "Oh, sir. I am sorry. You have no tickets to use on your profile. Goodbye." <disconnect> HMMM, ODD, I have a list of FIVE tickets that I'm supposed to reuse.

OK, I'm in the club, I'll ask the agents if they can help me. HAHAHA. No, I'm told that "that's a ticketing issue - you need to go out to the ticket counter." Like hell - my flight leaves in 20 minutes.

TOTAL TIME SPENT: 25 minutes
RESOLUTION: Unresolved

CO

Thwarted in my attempt to book with the US Platinum line, I realize that I hold a NR ticket on CO that I can use. And, lo and behold, there's a connecting flight through CLE that works, timewise. Unfortunately, I don't have my CO Platinum Elite card, so I have to dial the *gasp* general res number.

I get Mike, who immediately understands what I want to do and asks for my travel plans. I tell him PIT - BWI, and he finds the same flights I do, AND, the prices are lower than what I found on the *new and improved* corp travel site. He promptly rebooks the ticket, and refunds the remaining amount via an electronic voucher, which he gives me the PIN for over the phone, and promises to mail me the info on the same. He also says "I notice you have provided us with your email and FAX number, would you like me to send you a copy of your itinerary?" Absolutely. He then asks if I need help with hotel, car, or other services in BWI -- no, thanks. He then says, "I notice you're a Platinum Elite customer, let me give you that dedicated 800 number..." Cool, I almost forgot, this guy is from "general res"...he's been great. "Anything else, Mr. Customer?" No... "Well, thank you for calling Continental, I want you to know how much we appreciate your business. Have a great day!"

WOW ---- they a.) completed my request... b.) did it cheerfully... c.) thanked me for my business and told me I was appreciated as a customer...

TOTAL TIME SPENT: less than 5 minutes
RESOLUTION: Booked my flight and resolved to move my business to CO. If they're this good on the phone, I can't wait to see what the flight will be like... "

So here's a question. How much of this is due to not having the tools and how much of this is due to just not caring any more? I realize the two are related, but the difference between the two carriers is night and day, and the experience above has unfortunately become the norm rather than the exception in US' case.

Oh and I know for a fact that CO senior management has their priorities right--they appreciate and respect their employees as well as their customers...and their actions back up their words.

Someone said that Tempe is laughing all the way to the bank. They may be today, but the forecast for tomorrow ain't lookin so good....regardless of what they say, elites are leaving in droves....and with service experiences like the one above, can you blame them?

I feel bad for having left--I did not renew my club for the first time in 8 years, and I am cancelling my B of A VISA....and many of our members are doing the same.

The first step in solving a problem is acknowledging you have one......something I fear Tempe will never do.

I miss my friends at US---I do, but I no longer have a realistic expectation of reliable service.....so my hand is forced...

I would take Southwest (one hour flight, $95 walk-up fare) or drive myself (260 miles, 4 hours).

It seems silly to fly from PIT to BWI with a connection, and hopefully that's CLE, not EWR.

I would take Southwest (one hour flight, $95 walk-up fare) or drive myself (260 miles, 4 hours).

It seems silly to fly from PIT to BWI with a connection, and hopefully that's CLE, not EWR.
He’s not paying his company is and why put wear and tear on your car and is probably pooling frequent flyer miles to selected airlines

He’s not paying his company is and why put wear and tear on your car and is probably pooling frequent flyer miles to selected airlines

I get reimbursed 48.5 cents a mile for driving my car on business (whatever the IRS reimbursement rate is).

I collect frequent flyer miles as well, but I've taken Southwest on occasion when it's more convenient.

Did you see anywhere in the post that the writer had non-refundable tickets on SWA that needed to be used? Or, maybe I missed where he said he had some gas ration coupons ( :lol: ) that were about to expire.

It could very well be that the NR tickets were about to expire and HAD to be used or lose the ticket and the money spent on them. Seems a connection ain't that bad.

Did you see anywhere in the post that the writer had non-refundable tickets on SWA that needed to be used? Or, maybe I missed where he said he had some gas ration coupons ( :lol: ) that were about to expire.

It could very well be that the NR tickets were about to expire and HAD to be used or lose the ticket and the money spent on them. Seems a connection ain't that bad.

Possibly, but is it worth it to save $100 if it takes half the day to get there?

The writer stated that the ticket he exchanged at CO was worth $500.00. Now, maybe your company has money to burn and can afford to buy, then throw away tickets. And, maybe his can't or considers it fiscally irresponsible to throw money away.

And, all things being equal, yes I would have flown SWA also. But, things were not equal. The writer was not starting from scratch in planning the trip. He already knew he had tickets that needed to be used on a specific airline.

And, let's try to remember, the point of the thread is not whether the writer made the right decision or the most efficient booking. The point of the thread is the difference in customer service between 2 airlines.

The writer stated that the ticket he exchanged at CO was worth $500.00. Now, maybe your company has money to burn and can afford to buy, then throw away tickets. And, maybe his can't or considers it fiscally irresponsible to throw money away.

And, all things being equal, yes I would have flown SWA also. But, things were not equal. The writer was not starting from scratch in planning the trip. He already knew he had tickets that needed to be used on a specific airline.

And, let's try to remember, the point of the thread is not whether the writer made the right decision or the most efficient booking. The point of the thread is the difference in customer service between 2 airlines.

How is spending $95+tax each way (tops, could be less) for a one hour flight "burning money"? Also, if you haven't been able to use a $500 ticket in the last 364 days, you're not a frequent flier. The author stated he was a frequent flyer, so I think you're wrong and he has plenty of time to use a $500 CO ticket.

I don't want to argue this point any more. I will say that CO, in my opinion, is a terrible airline. I don't understand all the hoopla surrounding the FF switch from US to CO.

I don't want to argue this point any more. I will say that CO, in my opinion, is a terrible airline. I don't understand all the hoopla surrounding the FF switch from US to CO.

Fortunately, for CO, you are in the very distinct minority. Did they lose your makeup case or something? I work for AA, but I still keep my OnePass account at CO active because I love flying on CO--even though when I go skiing it means flying from Dallas to Houston to wherever.

Um, yeah. You've missed the point entirely. I won't comprehend the posting on FFOCUS for you. Bottom line: CO sets a goal, executes the goal through every level of the company, and successfully delivers to the front line customer. OTOH, US sucks. THAT'S the point.

Fortunately, for CO, you are in the very distinct minority. Did they lose your makeup case or something? I work for AA, but I still keep my OnePass account at CO active because I love flying on CO--even though when I go skiing it means flying from Dallas to Houston to wherever.

Well, they do have meals in coach, and considering the average American is a fatass, that might explain the rankings. :lol:

let's see...

1) industry standard seat pitch

2) International First Class mileage for an award ticket involving any flight in which I occupy the front cabin of a Continental Micronesia flight (it's domestic flight class, not BizElite). I wanted to use 120,000 Delta SkyMiles on a business class award ticket which involved two CO Micronesia flights, no BizElite from Hawaii or anything, and the whole thing had to be rated up to 140,000 miles for no reason, so I canceled. I'm not giving CO revenue (Delta would be paying CO) for that kind of nonsense.

3) I wanted to fly PLB-BOS winter of last year and BOS was closed because of a snowstorm (operated by Commutair but ticketed by CO). The flight was canceled, obviously. When I re-booked, I had to cough up a fare difference of $200. I think the ticket should have been re-booked at no charge.

Then, when I went to take the flight, it was weight restricted, so I volunteered. I didn't get a voucher (not a big deal, I find those hard to use anyway). However, when I wanted to re-use this ticket, CO said I had to pay a $100 change fee. OK, now this is *three strikes* on this silly little trip from PLB to BOS. The first two I was willing to overlook but this is getting ridiculous. I asked for a supervisor and got the same answer -- NO (at least they do answer the phone promptly and in English, yippee).

I never did make it to BOS from PLB because I decided that was enough. I think Delta flies this route now, so maybe I will take them instead the next time I am in upstate New York.

Their employees are nice and their in-flight service is good, but when it comes to ticketing, they suck big time. It's like UA but with non-nasty airport employees. If you're going to screw me over before I get a chance to board the plane, I won't be on the plane. I will fly someone else, or drive.

There are three airlines on my no-fly list: UA, NW and CO. All three screwed me over more than once on a trip with irregular operations. I've taken trips on AA, DL and US with irregular operations and none of them took advantage of me. All three have sent me vouchers for a messed up trip where they could have said "too bad". US is not on my no-fly list although they're really low in preference because their operation is so messed up. But when things do go wrong, they don't charge you a $100 change fee and crap like that. That is just unacceptable.

Now back to the CO lovefest!

JS,

Give US a chance -- they will nickel and dime you eventually.

At least we will get where we're going within a reasonable time of schedule and won't have to live in fear of irregular ops and a web site and res system which does not work.

You are always the contrarian--then again there is one in every crowd.

No offense, just an observation.

JS,

Give US a chance -- they will nickel and dime you eventually.

At least we will get where we're going within a reasonable time of schedule and won't have to live in fear of irregular ops and a web site and res system which does not work.

You are always the contrarian--then again there is one in every crowd.

No offense, just an observation.

No, it's just that I don't post "I agree" in every thread. That's kinda boring.

I haven't flown US since March 10 (other than Air Midwest in Kansas). I don't remember if that was just before or just after the reservations meltdown, but I didn't have any problems. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a US apologist and have had my share of problems with US in the past, and I've sworn off ever flying US into PHL (or PHL in general if it can be avoided).

No, it's just that I don't post "I agree" in every thread. That's kinda boring.

I haven't flown US since March 10 (other than Air Midwest in Kansas). I don't remember if that was just before or just after the reservations meltdown, but I didn't have any problems. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a US apologist and have had my share of problems with US in the past, and I've sworn off ever flying US into PHL (or PHL in general if it can be avoided).
its not even about "agreeing to whats posted" you are down right callous and obnoxius...go post on the thread that you fly....you haven't flown US since March you say, so what do you actually know about what is actually going on...your comments-sarcastic-are not appreciated and are ignorant at best...get lost.....

its not even about "agreeing to whats posted" you are down right callous and obnoxius...go post on the thread that you fly....you haven't flown US since March you say, so what do you actually know about what is actually going on...your comments-sarcastic-are not appreciated and are ignorant at best...get lost.....

I've observed the increasingly trashy passengers waiting in line at US Airways ticket counters.

And I've met several posters from this board in real life, which I seriously doubt you have.

Wait, why am I saying this, I don't need your approval to participate here. Bu-Bye, kao.