Unbelievable service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Informed1

Advanced
Nov 18, 2006
I should start this thread by saying that I worked for mainline, inflight, for 8 years. I just quit in 2007 because I could not take being on reserve for one more day, must less a carreer! Nevertheless, when I left I was so disenfranchised by how much the company had changed and how terrible the service was. I was embarrassed to even wear my uniform. So, on to my recent experience. My family lives in Roanoke and the easiest way to get there from PHL is obviously US.

I bought a ticket to GSO because tickets to ROA were about $400 more expensive (yes, I miss not having flight privleges!). Two days before I was scheduled to depart my partners father passed away. The family just happens to live outside of GSO. I called reservations and told the agent what was going on and asked if US would make any special accommodation for me to change my ticket without being charged a penalty. I told her it was my partners father. She told me that the death would have to be immediate family, otherwise I would be charged a change fee of $150 plus the difference between the two tickets. I told her I was not interested. As soon as I hung up the phone I received a call from a blocked number. I almost did not answer, but I did, and it was the reservations agent. She asked me to clarify what I meant by “partnerâ€￾. I told her it was my life partner. She said that changes everything. US ended up changing my ticket and waiving all fees. The real shocking part is that this agent actually took the time to call me back and ask me to clarify what I meant by “partnerâ€￾. She could have just moved on to the next call in que. Needless to say, it had to be an awkward question for her to ask me to clarify. I was so impressed by this “above and beyondâ€￾ service. But it does not stop there.

I was scheduled to depart PHL to GSO at 7:30am. When I arrived at the airport I noticed the flight was not departing until 8:30am. I contacted reservations and expressed my concern with the fact that my ride would be leaving at 9:00am from GSO. The agent placed me on hold and came back to the line and offered to change my reservation, on both ends, to fly directly to ROA for no fee or ticket difference.

Kudos to US for such an improvement in customer service. Even though I no longer work for US, I still felt a since of pride in the company for such great service. :up:

This is fantastic to hear, it's this exact type of service, one above and beyond action by a valuable and empowered employee, that gains an airline loyalty. How did the actual flights go?

Your reasons for quitting hit home. I hope we can feel proud to wear our uniform (a professional one) again, instead of being embarrassed to be associated with the current incarnation of our company.

Couldn't you have just driven for all the time you spent haggling about the ticket, getting to the airport, TSA, flight, de-planing and then driving to final destination?

Would YOU drive from PHL to ROA during this holiday hell?

Great story, thank you for sharing.
I'm also glad they got rid of those outsourced res agents. It drove me INSANE to talk to those people.
BTW, Informed, what career did you pursue after you left reserve hell here?

Couldn't you have just driven for all the time you spent haggling about the ticket, getting to the airport, TSA, flight, de-planing and then driving to final destination?

Did you even read his post? There was no haggling. He just hung up the phone? Are you so hateful of this company that a customer actually had something positive to say about their experience here? Get a grip!

The point of the original poster has been made, and to prevent further griping or deviation off subject this one is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.