Cwa Meeting With The Company Too...

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
CWA'ers met Tuesday in DC to discuss strategy for next phase...

Management requests negotiation meeting for 10:30 AM today, Wednesday, October 20...

CWA local presidents met Tuesday with CWA analysts and attorneys to review the bankruptcy order and to prepare for the next phase of the bankruptcy process in which management intends to demand even further cuts.

Management requested a negotiations meeting for 10:30 AM Wednesday in order to present another long-term proposal to CWA'ers. We will report information from that meeting in our next email message.

Complete Story

USA320Pilot comments: ALPA's advisors have said that the longer the process continues the deeper the cuts would be. Today the CWA said, "management intends to demand even further cuts." How can that be?

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

The RC4 blocked rank-and-file pilot vote on the company's September 6 proposal. Then the company's proposals only got worse and the pilot's lost the following contract items in the TA:

• fragmentation protections
• contingent acquisition rights
• smaller pay cuts
• a better profit sharing plan
• a better equity plan
• better DC plan contributions
• the 279 minimum aircraft fleet and minimum block hours protections
• merger protections
• additional vacation days
• MDA displacement rights

Now the company is seeking deeper CWA and presumably deeper AFA and IAM cuts. How can that be? Did ALPA's advisors not predict this would happen and have union leaders failed in their efforts to best represent union mmebers? Me thinks so...

It seems ALPA MEC chairman Bill Pollock's comments may apply to other union's too when he said that union leaders (the RC4 who obtained a TA greater than the company "ask", which to my knowledge has never been done before in the history of ALPA) who advise pilots to turn the deal down are being "irresponsible." A "better deal" does not exist, he said. "Each proposal we have received from the company only got worse," he wrote. "There is absolutely nothing to suggest that this negative trend will now reverse."

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

What you need to understand 320 is that at $7.00 - $13.00 an hour, 80% of the CWA employees just don't care ..... all that I have spoken with say they would rather see the company liquidate than talk.

Half want to turn to self help .... and they understand fully what would happen .... no more usairways. :(

DeltaWatch:

What's interesting is that the agents still come to work and the company is operating this week just like last week. If they do not care than why do they stay?

Personally, I believe the company would like to see as many of us that are at TOS leave the company. Why? They can outsource even more and/or hire lower paid employees to further lower unit costs.

If the CWA rank-and-file employees do not care I believe the union leadership should than not talk with the company. Then the S.1113© process could begin sooner and deeper cuts imposed again, which would make the company more profitable. This would permit those union's with ratified agreements, like the 3 TWU groups, obtain higher paying profit sharing checks.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

P.S. If you do not care any more, why do you not resign and go work in an environment where you care, especially with even deeper cuts sought?

can anyone imagine the tkt/gate agent working like slaves at that kind of wages and put up with that crap that pax can sometimes give, in particular on bad weather days etc??? i can and with that kind of wages you might as well go to kmart or walmart.

aren't there thousands of tkt/gate agents working like "slaves" in the commuter biz?....it would be more fun to work at an airline than walmart... you have to wear those silly smocks.

IMO, this company isnt going to be here past February no matter what type pay cut we take. Like the above poster stated, $7.00 or $13.00 per hour isnt much difference. IT's BK trip for a lot of employees, while the rich in CCY just get richer. I have my finances in order for the rest of my life, but most of my collegues do not. Right now, working for this company is kind of like watching a train wreck.....you hate to see it happen, but you cant take your eyes off it!!... :)

There are thousands of employees working in customer service for express wages. What is their pay rate and why do they work under those conditions?

Furthermore, how many former US Airways CWA and IAM-FSA employees went to the Mainline/Express classification from about $22 to $13 per hour? Why did they do that and not resign from the company?

Regards,

USA320Pilot

robbedagain said:
can anyone imagine the tkt/gate agent working like slaves at that kind of wages and put up with that crap that pax can sometimes give, in particular on bad weather days etc??? i can and with that kind of wages you might as well go to kmart or walmart.
[post="193080"][/post]​

Slaves did not have a choice......they can leave and not have to deal with another customer ever again

USA320Pilot said:
DeltaWatch:

What's interesting is that the agents still come to work and the company is operating this week just like last week. If they do not care than why do they stay?

Personally, I believe the company would like to see as many of us that are at TOS leave the company. Why? They can outsource even more and/or hire lower paid employees to further lower unit costs.

If the CWA rank-and-file employees do not care I believe the union leadership should than not talk with the company. Then the S.1113© process could begin sooner and deeper cuts imposed again, which would make the company more profitable. This would permit those union's with ratified agreements, like the 3 TWU groups, obtain higher paying profit sharing checks.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

P.S. If you do not care any more, why do you not resign and go work in an environment where you care, especially with even deeper cuts sought?
[post="193079"][/post]​

USA320Pilot said:
There are thousands of employees working in customer service for express wages. What is their pay rate and why do they work under those conditions?

Furthermore, how many former US Airways CWA and IAM-FSA employees went to the Mainline/Express classification from about $22 to $13 per hour? Why did they do that and not resign from the company?

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="193103"][/post]​

First of all most that accepted mainline were not making $22 per hour unless they were at a closing station.
I recently retired and was very happy with my CS position. Let me give my position on this, in 1969 I married and went to work, in 71 I had my first child and was working as a manager of a shoe dept. for Morse shoe, with a couple of advances and raises I was making $120.00 per week. I then had an opportunity to work in the teamsters, I jumped at the opportunity to make 4.80 an hour, I bought my first house 3 bedroom 1 bath $10,000. !0 years later I opened a restaurant, sold the house moved back to a 3 family, made a good living. In the mid 80's I started at Piedmont and prgressed to top scale. While at USAIR I was doing well, making about $50,000 a year. All this time my lifestyle got a little better, new home in 98 new cars for the wife and me. Since leaving the airline I was fortunate enough to get a management job in the Post Office, making 65-70,000 per year, another new Buick this year.
My point is I always moved ahead, my lifestyle got a little better and my taste's also got better, if I had to lose 20% at this point it would hurt alot. For all you listening to those stupid remarks about why you are still there, there is opportunity out there, use your skills, you have been dealing with people for years.
Check out communication companies they always need good sales reps.
Good luck and don't let them get to you.

I can tell you why they are still there doing their job....
It's called "self pride". The Company has taken (or plans on taking) everything else away. Those that leave are planning on doing so in a dignified manner.

Self pride is the one thing that current Mismanagement will never be able to get a judge to suck away!!! :angry:

I agree many employees have pride in their work, which I respect.

The challenge is not senior management taking anything away, it's the requirement for US Airways to be competitive in a brutal industry. The companies who are making money are the companies with a competitive cost structure.

Do I like the fact people are willing to do the work we to do for less? No, of course not, but it's reality and the market is dictating change.

Change has happened once, either via a consensual agreement or imposition, and it's going to occur again.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Self pride is something that a certain poster on these boards will never understand. Self worth is another. Along with concern and compassion. Too bad that self-concern and selfishness is so over consuming for some people.

Yes the company would be better off if we all left...... I think you know why. $7.00-$13.00 an hour pay gets $7.00 - $13.00 an hour worth of effort from agents that are use to a fair wage. The sad thing is companies like Airtran and the express carriers have to put up with the lackluster effort because the employees involved are trained and if you fire them.... after you pay to train new ones you end up with worse. I hear all this stuff about people at Wal-mart and Micky-D’s making similar wages. Those employees don’t have to pass a FAA - Homeland Security background and drug test. This is a fact … and you can ask one of your high up sources, we have a hard time finding people that can pass those test now at yesterday’s wages. Time will tell if the company can function paying their agents $7.00 an hour less than WN, if Usairways is around long enough to find out.