Cwa Update

Chip Munn said:
In regard to maintenance, I believe a no furlough clause in exchange for outsourcing the A320 heavy maintenance could work. The company would lower its overhaul expense and employees would stay employed.
Chip says blah, blah, in my dreams, blah, I'm for me bone the rest blah, blah.

Chip your farm outs as AOG informs you amount to maybe 2% savings if it were a perfect scenario, I.E. parts and tools etc. were there. Airline heavy maint = maybe 10-20% of total cost, you do the math your talking about a maybe .5% savings to get poor quality work and screw a lot of airline brothers and sisters.

Wouldn’t it be much more economical and save LOTTSA $$$$$ to out source pilot positions to say mesa or midway, perhaps at their current pay plus a 5% premium. We could save a bundle there with the added feature of having you then post your nonsense on some other board, perhaps the State unemployment and whiners board.

See ya, wouldn't want to be ya!

Bye, bye.

Attachments

• walk_the_plank.jpeg
    walk_the_plank.jpeg
    2.2 KB · Views: 144
I’m sorry, I must apologize to our pilot group. I did not mean what I posted. It’s just that the pathetic and putrid diatribes posted by the certain U captain make me so angry.

It’s positively sickening that some 3rd rate shaman with a cracked crystal ball would have the gall to suggest that his boot licking back end should be saved by another employee group giving up their livelihood so he could continue to smear brown on his nose. Disgusting, some other pilot must know this creep, please try to awaken what is left of his human spirit.

T-Bone:

Everyone is entitled to opinions. For me as a pilot, it is hard to understand how Chip still has faith in this management. There has been nothing they have done that would lead anyone with any rational sense to believe they are capable of turning this company around. They are reactive rather than proactive and so singulaly focused on costs that they can't even see, much less understand, the true problem. They are classic theorists and should be writing research papers on a college campus rather than trying to run an airline. Statements they just made in the meeting with the the CWA union heads were bordering on unbelievable.

Back to the point. Apparently Chip has ties with someone he believes is "important". They may even be friends. It's probably like the enabling syndrome where a wife doesn't want to admit her husband's an alcoholic so she keeps looking the other way or excusing his problem because she can't or doesn't want to face it. To me, that is the only rational explantation how an otherwise intelligent person would be able to align themselves with Siegel and his team and continue to support his "efforts" to return us to profitability. I have asked Chip numerous times if he supports Siegel or not and he has ignored those posts. That is his privilege. But it gives the answer in his silence.

Siegel and his team are flying us into a mountain that they apparently cannot see. Chip is sitting behind them with his head down too. We can ignore Chip. We need to be proactive with Siegel. We need to put the pressure on to have him fired. Not just on these websites. At the union meetings and in the workplace. Start talking with you fellow workers. Help them understand the ineptness of Dave Siegel. Let's at least try to have him removed. The AFA at American did it with Carty. We can do it here. Just ignore Chip. Hopefully someday he will understand just how inept Siegel is. But he is just one pilot. Not all of us.

mr

Chip Munn said:
As I have said before, reports indicate Bronner is agreeable to put the two companies together if US Airways stabilizes itself and United can overcome its bankruptcy obstacles.
Can you give a citation from the past year on this?

Chip Munn said:
US Airways has leverage on Pittsburgh and could shave about $25 million per year in savings.
Really? Last I heard the ACAA said "no" to an extension on the leases. As you know, in the absense of a deal before the turn of the year, US will see it's costs rise 20% at PIT. They also had the stones to pass a budget that assumes US will be in PIT thru 2004. Rendell has indicated there will be no freebies for US.

Let's not forget that LUV was wooed by PHL and the state.

Short of a new revenue stream (the remainder of the potential slot machine revenue), it looks like all parties involved are not willing to bail out US on the backs of the Pennsylvania taxpayer.

Who has leverage over whom?

ClueByFour said:
Let's not forget that LUV was wooed by PHL and the state.

Short of a new revenue stream (the remainder of the potential slot machine revenue), it looks like all parties involved are not willing to bail out US on the backs of the Pennsylvania taxpayer.

Who has leverage over whom?
I'm sorry you are wrong the state was qouted as saying that they had no legal right to say no to LUV just that comment alone makes you think that any big airport doesn't want a LCC because we employ thousands of employees more than they would it would hurt there bottom line. And the state was the one who brought up the slot machines not U so get your info right.............

Doc said:
I'm sorry you are wrong the state was qouted as saying that they had no legal right to say no to LUV just that comment alone makes you think that any big airport doesn't want a LCC because we employ thousands of employees more than they would it would hurt there bottom line. And the state was the one who brought up the slot machines not U so get your info right.............
An LCC will drive employment in the surrounding regions because businesses can then afford to travel. The economic benefit of LUV in any location is far greater than the impact from any cartel carrier employees who are displaced. It's not meant to be mean, it's just the way that it is. If you need an example of this, take a look at BWI. Or MDW. Or BNA.

The state brought up the slot revenue. That is correct. However, US Airways asked the state and county to raise rental car, hotel, and sales taxes to fund a bailout of US Airways.

Guess what? The latter is not going to happen. The airport might get what is left of the slot revenue, after PA property owners are relived of some tax burden and the state's educational funds are boosted.

Chip Munn said:
In regard to maintenance, I believe a no furlough clause in exchange for outsourcing the A320 heavy maintenance could work. The company would lower its overhaul expense and employees would stay employed.

These cost cuts are yet to be realized, but are in the pipeline.

Regards,

Chip
oh boy chip......a no furlough clause in lieu of outsourcing airbus heavies. one of the reasons boy dave wants outsourcing is that in not too many years when the boeings start to go out to pasture,the new airbuses will take their places and in the swipe of a pen,no more heavy maintenance at U. it sure seems like a good negotiating ploy,no heavy maintenance and some 1200 mechanics standing around sweeping the floors with a no furlough clause. i'm sure beyond the shadow of a reasonable doubt that Boy Dave will pounce on that.
I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE :rant: :rant:

Chip Munn said:

These cost cuts are yet to be realized, but are in the pipeline.

Regards,

Chip
Maybe you Chipper are willing to stab your laid off coworkers in the back and twist the knife and sleep like a baby at night, but that is not an option for us. We will not trade off our coworkers and use them as pawns in this chess game that dave started. :shock: Maybe we lost contact with many of our laid off buddies but when we go to work everyday and see the empty hangar and parking lots we still think about them and hope they are doing well. It appears you are thinking about them also, but only in a way to benefit yourself. ME ME ME!! Hey that looks like it would fit as a new user name for yourself. ;) Boy, your holiday spirit is beginning to kick in. :down: And the costs are being relized already on A/C 700, although they are in the negative direction. 3 maintenance ferry flights, many cancellations, emergency landings, and continued aircraft down time. The sad part is the morons making these decisions probably don't even know the impact. :(

US Airways has the highest CASM in the industry and either it comes down or the airline liquidates.

One of our problems is headcount to aircraft ratio. For example, JetBlue has about 70 employees per aircraft and after its in-court restructuring, US Airways has about 102 employees per aircraft.

The US Airways ratio is in-line with the other network carriers, but it's still almost 50% more than JetBlue and is the reason why labor expense remains to high.

I believe the only way to fix this problem is to use the productivity changes to increase block hours, which would lower unit costs and increase RASM, with the current headcount.

Regards,

Chip

So Chip,

Increase block hours; increase productivity equates to what? Lower head count?

According to your reasoning in your above posts, how do we have still the highest CASMs in the entire industry with all the restructuring that was done and the downsizing of the airline, along with parked planes? And who told you if CASMS don't come down, we liquidate? Why is it that in just a few short months from emergence from BK, that scenerio of liquidation comes up again?

Is that the "trump card"? Ground Hog day all over again....

b]Merger: [/b]CWA'ers questioned whether recent public statements by CEO Dave Siegel about industry consolidation indicated that management is looking to sell or merge the airline. We asked specifically if there were any merger or sale discussions or approaches going on. The answer from the executives was an unequivocal “Noâ€￾.

Hmmm....we heard that before. Wolf and Rakesh in their 99 world tour told employees in BOTH PHL and TPA (I was at both meetings) that the company was not for sale and that they were not discussing mergers with anyone. Just a few months later -- suprise, the United merger was announced. So, don't believe a word they say.

CWA'ers raised several additional questions with the
MidAtlantic: CWA'ers described that there is a suspicion that something is wrong with MDA or that MDA plans have been sidetracked or changed. CWA reminded the executives that the pledge of MDA jobs for furloughed employees was the major component in the two concession agreements, and that we have yet to see any of those jobs. Executives said that MDA is definitely on track, and that roll-out may be delayed short-term (by up to two months), but there is no financial or technical impediment to MDA.

MDA - is that the Muscular Dystrophy Association? I'll believe MDA may exist someday, but it'll probably be all that's left of US Airways. Or, it's just the promise of "good days ahead" to keep us working until we're all laid off.

Airport Rage: CWA'ers asked that management join with the union in an effort against airport rage that would include two components: 1) jointly approaching airport authorities to publicize the federal airport rage law in their airports; and 2) jointly urging federal prosecution, rather than local prosecution, in cases where airport rage results in physical aggression or injury of an agent. Executives seemed open and receptive to the suggestion of a joint program and said they would respond early next week.

The response I've usually observed in Customer Service, has been apoligize to the customer for the inconvenience, send him an upgrade coupon and don't encourage the CSR to press charges.

Employee Relations: CWA'ers told executives that US Airways management/employee relations at an all time low, and that CWA'ers believe there is an aggressively negative style of labor relations in the company at this time. Examples of management’s unilateral approach and unwillingness to compromise were cited. Management, for their part, stated that they feel the union(s) are too negative toward management. Executives stated that they intend to take prompt, definite steps to change the atmosphere and asked that the union participate in establishing more cooperative management/employee relations. We agreed.

Duh....management things the unions are too negative towards management? I wonder why? MAYBE BECAUSE YOU ARE INCOMPETENT GREEDY FOOLS who conducted a genocide of an entire sector of the economy. MAYBE BECAUSE YOU REPEATEDLY LIE TO US - telling the mechs in TPA that you weren't going to close their hangar DAYS BEFORE THE DEED WAS DONE!

What the unions need to demands is immediate rehiring of all laid off employees and recinding of the paycuts. If it kills the airline, so beit. The airline signed a contract with us that said NO LAYOFFS. Meet up to your part of the bargain.

Chip Munn said:
US Airways has the highest CASM in the industry and either it comes down or the airline liquidates.

One of our problems is headcount to aircraft ratio. For example, JetBlue has about 70 employees per aircraft and after its in-court restructuring, US Airways has about 102 employees per aircraft.

The US Airways ratio is in-line with the other network carriers, but it's still almost 50% more than JetBlue and is the reason why labor expense remains to high.

I believe the only way to fix this problem is to use the productivity changes to increase block hours, which would lower unit costs and increase RASM, with the current headcount.

Regards,

Chip
Chip:

The only way to fix the problem is to find a management who can make money as the other legacy carriers are doing with similar staffing levels. JetBlue and Southwest would have the same number of employess per jet as anyone else if they operated hub and spoke and you know it. That is a red herring. Period. We would have the same ratio if we went to a point to point operation like the LCC's.

I see no mention of the revenue side of the equation in your post either Chip. Kind of like the way Siegel frames the problem too. Your lack of ablility to see the ineptness this management is amazing! But keep plugging away. Maybe they will reward you with an office in CCY.

Costs are certainly part of the problem. But a management that cannot utilize the billions given them to attack the problem is where the core weakness lies. Unless that problem is solved I agree with the liquidation scenario. We have no leadership or operational expertise under Siegel. If you don't recognize that simple fact, any other "facts" you present here are no different than the propoganda Siegel is spouting to excuse his performance. Find some new friends Chip. The ones you have working in CCY are clouding your judgement. In case you forgot, you are not management. You are labor. And this management is taking us into oblivion. Just like our pension.

mr