Dave's Speech Yesterday

skygirl

Feb 15, 2003
Tampa, Florida
Visit site
This is an excerpt from Dave's speech yesterday. Does anyone think something could be up between U and WN? ;)

Other forms of inter-carrier cooperation – including partnering between LCC's and network carriers – may also be on the horizon. For example, why shouldn't the major U.S. international airlines cooperate with LCC's to feed their international – or even long-haul domestic – services? For that matter, why not bring LCC's into the major carrier frequent flier programs or other marketing efforts? Looking around this room, I'm sure there are some who can come up with even stranger ideas. You know who you are. See me at the door before you leave.

And FedEx now has boxes in every US Post Office. That's undoubdtedly done wonders for Express Mail.

quoting skygirl: " For example, why shouldn't the major U.S. international airlines cooperate with LCC's to feed their international – or even long-haul domestic – services?"

That was what PanAm did in the old days of regulation - as soon as their "feeder" airlines acquired their own international routes, PanAm went into permanent decline.

Rob said:
quoting skygirl: " For example, why shouldn't the major U.S. international airlines cooperate with LCC's to feed their international – or even long-haul domestic – services?"

That was what PanAm did in the old days of regulation - as soon as their "feeder" airlines acquired their own international routes, PanAm went into permanent decline.
Rob was paying attention in class for certain !!

Pan Am was noted for it's International routes alone...and as he stated , when you can't feed them? They die a quick death.

Pan Am bought National Airlines in fleeting hopes of off-setting this...but to call it too little too late would be an under-statement.

In the end...two employee groups bought the farm in light of this.

Pan Am bought National Airlines in fleeting hopes of off-setting this...but to call it too little too late would be an under-statement.

In addition to the "too late" problem, National had a route structure that didn't match Pan Am's (National was mainly North-South, I believe, and didn't connect well with Pan Am's international route structure) and the combination of fleets was way too eclectic. As I understand it (and someone who was in the industry around that time could comment more on this) seniority integration was a nightmare too.

-Airlineorphan

Definitely cultural differences, too. As a PA staffer once said, "When we say Melbourne, we think Australia. When they say Melbourne, they think Florida." Hate to have to do that bag re-route.

:D

So what you guys are saying is that SothWest will merge with USAirways?

Can I sign up for the first 5-hop from Seattle to PHL before I get on the A330 to Frankfurt!

:p

They say politics makes strange bed fellows, but man this one is to weird!

Attachments

• crazy.jpeg
    crazy.jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 84