Dc-10 Vs L-1011

Rob said:
The next day the plane made up for it, however, being the only plane able to land in the fog in Europe.
I believe we can thank the British for insisting on that capability. Many times I landed at Heathrow when everything else diverted to Manchester or Paris.

MK

The L1011 gets my vote. It also looks sleeker than the DC-10.

Too bad fuel prices and flight engineer positions, have all but buried the L1011s and DC10s of the world. :shock:

Yes it had Direct Lift Control (DLC) after a certain position was selected on the flaps. That allowed the aircraft to increase or decrease lift without changing the basic aircraft pitch attitude. The autopilot could do great cross controlled landings by lowering a wing and sticking in opposite rudder. I don't know if any curent aircraft have as sophisticated a autoland system. The cockpit was extremely spacious, comfortable and well heated with great views out the oversize windows. Made the 747 cockpit look like a shoebox not to mention stuffing yourself into an MD-80. I'm not up to speed on the 777 or later airbus models.
The galley was "downstairs" reached by two elevators about a third of the way back. Who knows what went on down there. Probably some mile high clubbers and I'm aware of some MJ smoking before the days of drug tests. MK can probably give more info on the lower galley. I used to fly the L-1011 a lot in the Meditterean between CDG and FCO, ATH and CAI or TLV. In addition to JFK to CDG, LHR, AMS, BRU, LIS, CPH, STK, TXL (Berlin) and Malaga. We also flew it to HNL.

Got to put in a vote for the '10' here, as it was always my favorite plane to fly as a passenger.
Always seemed like a steady, stable, ride.
Unlike many others here, I'm much more familiar with the '10' than the 'L-10'.
Flew on numerous DC-10s, starting in 1973(AA) and ending just two years ago (HA). Mostly AA but also UA and, as mentioned, Hawaiian.
The L-1011 I was only on once, and at the twilight of it's career: DL in 2000 from HNL to LAX.
I know I'll never be on one again, but I guess I could still get on a DC-10 if I really want to since NW still has them in their flying aviation museum! ;)