Dc-8's?

Haven't seen a flying pencil at Kennedy in a hell of a long time, they not coming out east anymore? Or are they being phased out because of those four thirsty engines?

All I see at Kennedy these days are the 75's and the A300's and the very rare 763.

Look in DTW, on average 3 a day parked on the UPS ramp plus a 75.

Haven't seen a flying pencil at Kennedy in a hell of a long time, they not coming out east anymore? Or are they being phased out because of those four thirsty engines?

All I see at Kennedy these days are the 75's and the A300's and the very rare 763.
Those engines are not a "Thirsty" as you may think. Some of the DC-8's that UPS has are former DL birds with the CFM-56 Engines. I recall that when I worked with an Airline in EWR back in the 80's, that the DC-8-73's with the CFM-56's burned less fuel from EWR-ATL than a 727-200 did from EWR-CVG. The 727's held in the area of 140 Psgrs, and the DC-8's were over 200.

Those engines are not a "Thirsty" as you may think. Some of the DC-8's that UPS has are former DL birds with the CFM-56 Engines. I recall that when I worked with an Airline in EWR back in the 80's, that the DC-8-73's with the CFM-56's burned less fuel from EWR-ATL than a 727-200 did from EWR-CVG. The 727's held in the area of 140 Psgrs, and the DC-8's were over 200.
I think UPS has one DC-8-73 at MCI, and one DC-8-73 at OMA, I saw a DC-8-61,62 at MCI for ABX with the JT-4D, now that "Thirsty". I love to haer that cold air -10F crackel at cold P/P up to T/O, smoke be let there be smoke, like the early KC135A's with the J-57's, not like the TF-40-PW that had the MOD done to them instaed of the CFM-56-2, Keep the DC flying.

often I have seen the stretched DC-8-72 at ABE in ABX/DHL colors.
Lately though I have seen the 727. do they have the 727-100 series?

Latest posts