Deal Completed By Next Week?

us0004us

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
The holding company would be overseen by America West executives and the headquarters would remain in Tempe.

An operational headquarters would be likely be located in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia or Charlotte, N.C., the latter two being US Airways hubs. Eventually, the company would fly under the US Airways banner and the America West name would be dropped.

The two hope to have a deal completed by next week.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=40905

Perry Flint, managing editor of the Air Transport World magazine, a business publication for worldwide airline managers, says he sees few positives for America West should a merger take place. But, if Texas Pacific Group gets involved, all bets are off, he said.

"They just have a license to mint money and make successful things," he said. "David Bonderman just has a golden touch of recognizing value. If he’s behind this, he must see something the rest of us mortals don’t. He participated in the America West rescue (from bankruptcy). He saw something there. He participated in the Continental Airlines rescue. He saw something there. He’s the chairman of Ryanair, the most profitable airline in the world, and he’s involved in Tiger Airways in Asia. Maybe there’s something he sees that we don’t see and he’s willing to ride it out for a few years."

us0004us said:
"They just have a license to mint money and make successful things," he said. "David Bonderman just has a golden touch of recognizing value. If he’s behind this, he must see something the rest of us mortals don’t. He participated in the America West rescue (from bankruptcy). He saw something there. He participated in the Continental Airlines rescue. He saw something there. He’s the chairman of Ryanair, the most profitable airline in the world, and he’s involved in Tiger Airways in Asia. Maybe there’s something he sees that we don’t see and he’s willing to ride it out for a few years."
[post="267607"][/post]​

David Bonderman and TPG are what
are known as "turnaround experts"
in the business world. They buy into
failing business at 20 cents on the
dollar. They only focus on entities
that have significant potential, then
they reorganize and "right size" them,
and rake in the profits.

For TPG, timing is everything, and
they wait until the business they are
purchasing has limited value to the
traditional markets and investors
so they can buy them at a bargain
basement price. With US/HP, they
recognize the potential value of a
combined east/west coast network
and they are betting on the airline
market rebounding.

TPG is a very astute organization
and if they put their money behind
a US/HP merger, you can almost
guarantee that they will be the
leaders in the industry for at least
5 years.

PIT?! :lol: :blink:

Why must they keep teasing the poor city, come on US you've burned PIT one too many times, STAY AWAY! :down:

pit , yes , why tease pit? but why mention phl and clt too?

why not keep everything in the hdq at tempe?

us0004us said:

why not keep everything in tempe?
[post="267635"][/post]​

The said thing is, I can imagine a huge PIT contingent developing a huge hard-on reading a post like this....I mean really, PIT should just move on and stay far far away from this company! :blink:

Now this is just a rumor, but I heard that if a merger does take place, the trans-atlantic division will be sold off and all efforts will be to become a giant LCC. I hope this isn't true but who knows.

us0004us said:

why not keep everything in the hdq at tempe?
[post="267635"][/post]​

Because in mergers between big companies, the highest and best use of the merger funds is to provide comfort and sinecures to the executives of the partners in the merger. The U execs might not want to move to Tempe; so, a reason for them to remain on the East Coast must be found.

Hence, an operational hdq in one of the former U hub cities. Besides, what better group to run the operational aspects of the company? The same guys who have brought you efficiency, on-time performance, and customer service at PHL! :lol:

Cynical? Who, me? What ever do you mean?

Today's Arizona Republic said, "According to the Wall Street Journal, GE recently told both airlines to keep talking. A bankruptcy court agreed to postpone an end-of-April deadline for US Air’s plan of reorganization while the merger talks continue."

USA320Pilot comments: As I said before, GE is brokering the US Airways-America West deal, which is one of the reason's why US Airways backed away from a corporate transaction with United.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Has there been a proposal by any party that would combine U and UAL AND bring the resulting entity out of bankruptcy? Or is that just speculation that there's been such a proposal?

Row,

It appears to me from an operational point of view that U and UAL are better suited partners. However, the obstacles to such a marriage, especially in light of current problems at UAL, may be insurmountable.

I am a big fan of both U and UAL, but any labor action at UAL, I fear will seal their fate--which is sad for all involved.

Now as a reach, I am sure this would never get beyond the anti-trust dogs, but what about a combination of U and a trimmed down UAL, then a merger with HP????? Now THAT would be consolidation. I think the combined carrier would more resemble a slightly larger version of AA. Combine the Airbus fleets of HP and UAL which have common engines, and GE gets all the CFM Airbii back from US--then the RR engined 757's from the combined fleets of US and HP can go......

I am probably dreaming but it makes SOME sense.

Does anyone know GE's exposure at UAL?????? Could this be the bigger picture?

Again don't shoot the messenger, I am just SPECULATING...

My best to you all...