Decisions, Decisions.

Support for strike uncertain
2 Northwest unions wait for flight attendants to act

August 3, 2006

BY JEWEL GOPWANI

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER
As the countdown to an Aug. 15 strike at Northwest Airlines Inc. continues, two of the carrier's largest unions haven't decided whether they would support a flight attendants' strike.

That decision would be made after a strike starts, said union leaders for pilots and ground workers, who don't want to influence union negotiations. But it won't be an easy choice, labor experts said.

"You've got strains between a sense of sacrifice and a sense of solidarity," said Harley Shaiken, a professor specializing in labor relations at the University of California at Berkeley.

This year, Northwest's 5,000 pilots and 13,000 ground workers ratified deals that save Northwest $550 million annually. The flight attendants union is the only group at Northwest that hasn't agreed to concessions, which labor experts say leave unions for pilots and ground workers in a precarious position.

"I'm sure, when they have their debates about this, they're going to say, 'There's a possibility that we could jeopardize our own jobs,' " said Gary Chaison, professor of management at Clark University in Worcester, Mass.

Whether a strike will take place is unclear. Northwest, with approval from a bankruptcy judge, imposed lower wages and benefits on its flight attendants Monday after those workers rejected a contract proposal with hefty concessions. The union answered by saying it will be ready to strike individual flights, cities or en masse, as early as Aug. 15.

Northwest is asking the bankruptcy judge to block such a strike. As of Wednesday, there were no talks scheduled. Northwest and the Association of Flight Attendants are due in court next week to argue whether a union can strike a carrier in bankruptcy.

If the unions want to make a statement to the company, Chaison said, they'll support a flight attendants strike. Northwest unions were faced with a similar decision a year ago, when the airline's union mechanics went on strike. No other Northwest union honored the still ongoing strike by the mechanics group, which has few allies in the nation's labor movement.

In this case, the pilots say they'd support the attendants' right to strike. But heads of the pilot and ground workers unions said they hope attendants can reach a deal so all can move on.

"We need to be focused toward the future," Capt. Dave Stevens, who leads the Northwest arm of the Air Line Pilots Association.

August 3, 2006

BY JEWEL GOPWANI

.....If the unions want to make a statement to the company, Chaison said, they'll support a flight attendants strike. Northwest unions were faced with a similar decision a year ago, when the airline's union mechanics went on strike. No other Northwest union honored the still ongoing strike by the mechanics group, which has few allies in the nation's labor movement......
Hey Jewel, I guess "allies" does not mean the support from the UAW & Ron Gettlefinger? Or all the other union allies listed on the AMFA Local 33 web site??? Jewel, we know you do your best. We've given you factual info in the past and it never makes it to press. Your just a grunt reporter and
the big guy in the main office decides what to print. It's also a newspaper very biased against labor. :down:

So when(if) the F/A group begins their strike, will the ramp and pilots honor the picket line???
Look at Capt. Stevens quote..."need to be focused toward the future".. Thats pilot speak for, "My paycheck keeps coming only if I cross picket lines and report to work. Since my paycheck is the only one that matters to me then I will cross this line".
Now for the mighty IAM...the decision to cross another AFL-CIO picket line must be tearing at the hearts of the big union bosses. Using former union rep Bobby DePace's logic, "if we cross the picket line then we can perhaps start doing the struck work of the F/A group AND the mechanic group. I will cross this line".
The TRUTH for the F/A group is that no other union on the property is going to support your strike and honor your picket line. The good thing is that you have more numbers going for you than the mechanics did. If it takes 2 weeks to get a F/A marginally trained and they only have a few hundred in the wings it'll be a tough go for nwa if you decide to walk out. I support you in the decision to walk out just like I supported our group (the AMFA) in their decision. The contract was totally unfair just like the demands they are making on the F/As.

August 3, 2006

BY JEWEL GOPWANI

As the countdown to an Aug. 15 strike at Northwest Airlines Inc. continues, two of the carrier's largest unions haven't decided whether they would support a flight attendants' strike.

That decision would be made after a strike starts, said union leaders for pilots and ground workers, who don't want to influence union negotiations.

In this case, the pilots say they'd support the attendants' right to strike. But heads of the pilot and ground workers unions said they hope attendants can reach a deal so all can move on.

"We need to be focused toward the future," Capt. Dave Stevens, who leads the Northwest arm of the Air Line Pilots Association.

Translation: "We(IAM,ALPA,and the EVIL TWU) will cross the picketlines, because we are yellow bellied cowards".

Translation: "We(IAM,ALPA,and the EVIL TWU) will cross the picketlines, because we are yellow bellied cowards".
This is what exactly pissed me off last year (still pisses me off) . I flew with two people saying something to the effect of "Those mechanics aren't going to ruin my job! I won't walk with them!" and there's one poster, I don't know if she LOOKS & LURKS here she was posting how she was angry that mechanics are going on strike because she will not walk with them because they are being selfish!

I hope she likes her hot dish of "too bad so sad" and flying 100 hrs 10 yrs on reserve 9 legs a day with no food.

This is what exactly pissed me off last year (still pisses me off) . I flew with two people saying something to the effect of "Those mechanics aren't going to ruin my job! I won't walk with them!" and there's one poster, I don't know if she LOOKS & LURKS here she was posting how she was angry that mechanics are going on strike because she will not walk with them because they are being selfish!

I hope she likes her hot dish of "too bad so sad" and flying 100 hrs 10 yrs on reserve 9 legs a day with no food.
for her sake jenny, I hope that if you do the CHAOS system, hopefully she'd be on a flight only to have it cancel while she is still strapped in due to the F/As walking out. I stand by all of you F/As at SCAB AIR.
Screw the company. ENOUGH is ENOUGH. They cant TAKE ANYMORE than what they have already STOLEN.

I'm speaking of course of the union leadership and their decisions to call on their memberships to honor a union's picket lines. To date (as of last Aug 20th), they have a poor record of honor and integrity. There ARE individuals out there that take it seriously and have not contributed to doing the struck work at nwa. The F/As who do not give assistance to the SCABS when they are in the cabin and to the ramp workers who do not do the mechanic work. I'd say pilots but according to posters here and elsewhere they are aiding the SCABS in their signoffs and such.

Jenny chances are that she won't even walk with her own!! It's sad but there so many that even though they voted NO they would not be willing to strike or volunteer for the Chaos lists.

for her sake jenny, I hope you all walk out in a CHAOS thing on the first day she is strapped to her seat. Lets see how she likes it. May be even have it hot and humid with a broken APU. As for the pilots and the IAM, I wouldnt count on them supporting you F/As but YOu F/As and AMFA striking workers have my full support. Put the screws to all of them mgmt and scabs and if need be, put em out of busniess. ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

Here's a question: If CHAOS strikes are sporadic (isn't that the point?), how will the other unions know when/where to honor the line?

If it's a "uniform" strike, hopefully, ALPA and the IAM will honor it this time around, if for no other reason than the AFA is AFL-CIO.....

Here's a question: If CHAOS strikes are sporadic (isn't that the point?), how will the other unions know when/where to honor the line?

If it's a "uniform" strike, hopefully, ALPA and the IAM will honor it this time around, if for no other reason than the AFA is AFL-CIO.....

That is basically what the article is referring to Kev. The actual full fledged strike by the F/A group. I say do CHAOS in the meantime leading up to the strike deadline just to give Dougie a little taste of whats coming.

That is the beauty" of CHAOS. You don't have to depend on the other work groups. You can't fly the flight without f/as. There are only so many supervisors and manager qualified to be on the flights. It has worked before and it takes brave labor activists to chart this rocky course.

The AFl-CIO says silent, why is this? I'll tell you why, Business Unionism 101. Here is another chance to bring the affiliated unions together, under another attack by rogue Scab Air management......and no support, nothing.

Looks like the F/A's are alone like AMFA was. The IAM will cross, and so will the ALPA. Take the the shot anyway F/A's. Call Stealins' bluff. :angry:

The AFl-CIO says silent, why is this? I'll tell you why, Business Unionism 101. Here is another chance to bring the affiliated unions together, under another attack by rogue Scab Air management......and no support, nothing.

Looks like the F/A's are alone like AMFA was. The IAM will cross, and so will the ALPA. Take the the shot anyway F/A's. Call Stealins' bluff. :angry:

I hope you're wrong, but bet you're right. :down: :down: :down:

No one really is crossing the line with CHAOS - that is why it is so effective. You could have 5 flights affected - only 1 affected or an entire bank. Or 1 city or 3. When AFA did CHAOS at Alaska they freaked out management just by standing at the departure boards with a clipboard in hand. You never know when CHAOS is going to "strike" so there is major uncertainty. It could be during boarding or after. It is great because you are not relying on other work groups to cross or not cross.

Latest posts