Delta Air Lines beats on earnings and guidance

JonInvest

Oct 13, 2016
Delta Air Lines reported a sharp increase in adjusted earnings for the first quarter, helped by a 5% revenue growth.

Delta also provided guidance for the second quarter, predicting strong earnings and revenue growth.

Adjusted earnings increased 28% annually to $0.96 per share in the first quarter, helped by strong core performance and benefit from the early renewal of the agreement with American Express.

During the quarter, the management returned $1.6 billion to shareholders, including $1.3 billion of share repurchases and $233 million in dividends.

Delta also extended its partnership with American Express up to 2030, under which the companies will continue to work together and deliver value-added services to customers. The arrangement is expected to bring benefits of about $7 billion annually to the company over the next four years.

Congrats to all the Delta employees. 730 million, wow, big numbers for 1st Q.

Kev, I think I might be in for eating some crow. I predicted (some time ago if you even remember) that AA would outshine Delta once AA was out of BK at the same amount of time levels as Delta. Doesn't look like that is going to happen. With the recent improved efforts by Delta to win back the premo customers from the other airlines have paid off. And at this point it appears they (premo cust.) are sticking with Delta and not returning to AA.
The new Amex agreement was a huge popper too, and will take them into the 2020's for some time with even more record profits.
Again congrats to Delta for taking the #1 spot at the top. Now just stay there and hold it. Whatever they are doing to keep the customers is working, so don't change anything, just keep on trying to improve it even more.

And BIG D keeps the momentum going for the 2Q too. Not all numbers listed in this article but most get the idea. Ad Bastain said in the interview that Delta saw 90% Load Factor for 2Q, that's huge. Congrats to all at Delta for another fantastic 2Q.
I will toss this to Kev. Do you know what the 2Q PS portion will be yet? Delta keeps on winning...

Delta Air Lines (DAL) Q2 Earnings and Revenues Beat Estimates