etops1

Veteran
Dec 6, 2003
Delta group pans bid by US Airways

By Thomas Olson
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, November 23, 2006

Now comes the Delta team on defense.
A group representing Delta Air Lines workers Wednesday forcefully defended their employer's resistance to US Airways' hostile $8.7 billion bid for Delta. With a rallying cry of "Keep Delta My Delta!" they are backing management's aim for the company to exit bankruptcy by itself.

The so-called Delta Board Council is the latest of several parties to take a stance on US Airways' surprise bid for the Atlanta-based carrier.

Other groups include a group of Delta creditors and the head of the Delta pilot's union.

Delta declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy in September 2005, just as US Airways was about to exit bankruptcy and merge with America West Airlines. Delta owes creditors about $16 billion.

"This campaign is indicative of the feelings of all 51,000 Delta employees," said Beth Graham, a Delta council representative in Atlanta. "We do not wish to be associated with US Airways."

The grass-roots group has already given away 25,000 big red buttons reading, "Keep Delta My Delta!" and have ordered 50,000 more, she said.

"When you have someone coming at you, you do all kinds of things," said Graham, who has been a Delta flight attendant for 21 years. She also said workers' $900 million in concessions since mid-2005 led to Delta's second-quarter profit, its first black ink in five years.

Coming at Delta is Doug Parker, the CEO of US Airways who announced the unwanted bid to acquire the nation's third-largest carrier on Nov. 15. The half-cash, half-stock offer presumes US Airways could find about $1.65 billion a year in synergies, or expense reductions plus new revenue. Bankruptcy law allows filers to terminate labor and other contracts, as well as aircraft and other leases.

Parker acknowledged the Delta buttons but insisted his bid is meant to build "the country's largest and most financially sound airline," he said in a letter to US Airways workers yesterday. Parker said too many airline business plans are geared for survival over just the next three years.

"This team is interested in building an airline that builds 20- and 30-year careers, and that desire extends to the employees of both US Airways and Delta," Parker said.

Some Delta creditors, who will be the ones to vote on management's reorganization plan, are lining up on US Airways' side. An ad hoc committee of bondholders voiced support of the offer during conference calls on Tuesday, the Wall Street Journal reported. The lawyer representing the committee could not be reached yesterday.

Led by CEO Gerald Grinstein, Delta management is finalizing a reorganization plan to exit bankruptcy as a stronger carrier that remains independent. Management hopes to submit the plan to the bankruptcy court and to Delta creditors before year-end.

But US Airways' gambit won't fly, Delta pilot Lee Moak said. He is chairman of the Delta unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, which has been analyzing the offer.

"I am skeptical that many of these synergies are anywhere near as attractive as US Airways management would like Wall Street and our creditors to believe," Moak wrote in a letter late Tuesday to fellow Delta pilots.

US Airways' merger proposal "faces many obstacles," Moak wrote, and seems to "lack any substantial benefit for Delta, its employees, our communities or our customers." He also cited "substantial antitrust scrutiny" likely to come from the two carrier's overlapping routes in the eastern U.S. and the fact that US Airways needs to finish integrating its systems and contracts with America West's.

"Should this merger be as misguided and as poor an idea as I currently believe it to be, then I will deploy very available resource to stop it," Moak said.

A grass roots campaign of Big Red Buttons "Keep Delta My Delta!" , and the head of Delta's ALPA group saying that he deploy every resource to stop it.

All they need is 9 Billion, wonder how many red buttons and resources they are going to get to fund it?

Regards
DC

A grass roots campaign of Big Red Buttons "Keep Delta My Delta!" , and the head of Delta's ALPA group saying that he deploy every resource to stop it.

All they need is 9 Billion, wonder how many red buttons and resources they are going to get to fund it?

Regards
DC
----------------------------------------------------------
i believe usairways was just in talks with boeing about a big order for replacement 737-800 jets. isnt boeing a large creditor for delta? ge capital helped finance usairways n america west merger...arent they a big creditor for delta? i believe they will vote for their shareholders best interests...the shareholders are the company. the employees are just an asset, not unlike aircraft or other equipment. sorry to tell you that but it seems a reality. if the employees of delta want to keep my delta then they will have to outbid usairways, simple as that. money talks!! happy thanksgiving and welcome to the "new delta"

isnt boeing a large creditor for delta? ge capital helped finance usairways n america west merger...arent they a big creditor for delta?
Actually.....NO, but no one on the ths board wants to post the facts or even make the effort to educate themselve before they post. So for the lazy among you....

CLT Observer article

Delta's biggest creditors -- nine companies that comprise the unsecured creditors committee -- have declined comment so far. That includes Coca-Cola Inc., which like Delta is headquartered in Atlanta.

Court filings show Delta owes Coca-Cola at least $2.9 million as part of a marketing deal to promote Coca-Cola products on all Delta flights.

In the end, some creditors must decide whether a strong financial bid from US Airways is worth possibly losing future business from Delta.

"If your claim is two cents on the dollar versus the risk of losing future business, it's not a hard decision" to reject the US Airways bid, Penn said.

Delta, for example, owes Boeing Capital Corp. and the Boeing Corp. more than $36.5 million for plane leases and planes. But US Airways is a big customer of Airbus, Boeing's rival. The Chicago-based manufacturer might be hesitant to put Delta in the hands of an airline with a large fleet of Airbus planes.

US Airways is looking to replace dozens of single-aisle aircraft, and hasn't decided whether to buy planes from Boeing or Airbus.

Delta's Big Creditors

1. U.S. Bank National Association and U.S. Bank Trust National Association

• Owed: $4.4 billion

2. Air Line Pilots Association, International

• Owed: $3.1 billion

3. Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp.

• Owed: $3 billion

4. Bank of New York

• Owed: $1.9 billion

5. Boeing Capital Corp.

• Owed: $36.5 million

6. The Coca-Cola Co.

• Owed: $2.9 million

7. Pratt & Whitney

• Owed: $309,217

8. MacKay Shields, LLC

• Owed: N/A

9. Fidelity Advisor Series II

-- Source: Bankruptcy Services LLC

Delta's Big Creditors

4. Bank of New York

5. Boeing Capital Corp.

6. The Coca-Cola Co.

7. Pratt & Whitney

8. MacKay Shields, LLC

Which of these creditors would lose future business?

Actually.....NO, but no one on the ths board wants to post the facts or even make the effort to educate themselve before they post. So for the lazy among you....
CLT Observer article

Delta's biggest creditors -- nine companies that comprise the unsecured creditors committee -- have declined comment so far. That includes Coca-Cola Inc., which like Delta is headquartered in Atlanta.

Court filings show Delta owes Coca-Cola at least $2.9 million as part of a marketing deal to promote Coca-Cola products on all Delta flights.

In the end, some creditors must decide whether a strong financial bid from US Airways is worth possibly losing future business from Delta.

"If your claim is two cents on the dollar versus the risk of losing future business, it's not a hard decision" to reject the US Airways bid, Penn said.

Delta, for example, owes Boeing Capital Corp. and the Boeing Corp. more than $36.5 million for plane leases and planes. But US Airways is a big customer of Airbus, Boeing's rival. The Chicago-based manufacturer might be hesitant to put Delta in the hands of an airline with a large fleet of Airbus planes.

US Airways is looking to replace dozens of single-aisle aircraft, and hasn't decided whether to buy planes from Boeing or Airbus.
Delta's Big Creditors

4. Bank of New York

5. Boeing Capital Corp.

6. The Coca-Cola Co.

7. Pratt & Whitney

8. MacKay Shields, LLC

thanks for the correction... my bad!! I guess the bank n the alpa international n the pbgc will side with the employees who want to keep delta their delta...but wait it isnt their delta.....its the bank n alpa international n pbgc's delta....I wonder will they want their futures tied to some employees or would they want to get their money up front from usairways financing. I dont know?

"Some Delta creditors, who will be the ones to vote on management's reorganization plan, are lining up on US Airways' side."

Do you really think that the creditors have the Delta employees interests at heart? Yeah, me too :p .

As I read the news article two comapnies jumped at me. Coke is served by LCC also, so there would be no loss of business in order for them to recover more money. Also, Boeing, as I said a few days ago, is in a unique situation where they can score big with LCC based on the A-350 not going to be produced in time for LCC to be required to buy them and that Airbus has been paid off, so Boeing can go after LCC business and keep DL business and get paid more on any unsecured debt they may have.

I'm sure there are more creditors that can do business and realize more money for their debt, those two just jumped out at me while I read the article.

Which of these creditors would lose future business?
Well, Boeing for one..... I have not researched how many of these guys were screwed by US and HP through BK 1 and BK2 so they may be in the Dl corner as well.

Keep in mind that this is a list of the unsecured creditors. The secured creditors get made whole one way or the other by asset pledges, etc.

Article

US Airways bids for Delta
Bankrupt carrier's loyalty to Boeing could be lost in deal

By JAMES WALLACE
P-I AEROSPACE REPORTER

An $8 billion hostile bid Wednesday by US Airways to take over rival Delta Airlines, which likely would create the world's largest carrier, could have long-term consequences for The Boeing Co.

Delta is one of Boeing's best U.S. customers and is expected to eventually order Boeing's new 787 Dreamliner.

US Airways is a key North American carrier for Airbus and has already ordered the Airbus A350 that will compete against the Dreamliner. In exchange for that 20-plane deal, Airbus agreed to invest in US Airways. Both the 787 and A350 are twin-aisle jets.

"The deal could raise the stakes between Boeing and Airbus for twin-aisle sales as we assumed Delta would be a natural customer for the 787," Byron Callan of the Prudential Equity Group said in a research note to clients.

Airbus has not yet gotten the OK from its parent, EADS, to go ahead and start development of the A350. Even if that approval is given soon, as expected, it will be at least 2013 or 2014 before the A350 would be ready to enter airline service. Boeing's 787 will begin airline service in 2008, though Boeing does not have delivery positions available until 2013 for new customers because of demand for the jet......

Industry experts said the takeover bid faces significant hurdles.

In the 1990s, Delta, American and Continental signed deals to buy only Boeing jets for 20 years. Those deals had to be reworked before the European Commission approved the 1997 merger between Boeing and McDonnell Douglas.

US Airways was once a big Boeing customer, too. But in 1996, Boeing sued the airline when it refused to accept delivery of eight Boeing jets. US Airways has not bought Boeing planes since.

For its single-aisle fleet, Delta operates Boeing's newer 737-800, older planes from McDonnell Douglas and more than 100 Boeing 757s.

Delta's widebody fleet consists of Boeing 767s as well as eight 777s. Boeing's Web site shows that Delta has 50 more 737-800 jets on order that have not been delivered, along with five more 777s.

Along with a growing number of single-aisle Airbus planes, US Airways still operates older Boeing 737s, as well as 757s and 767s. In addition to its order for the A350, US Airways has another 37 Airbus single-aisle jets on order for delivery between 2008 and 2010.

US Airways did not identify which planes it might shed should the merger with Delta be completed. But the airline did say that it believed it could operate a mixed fleet of Boeing and Airbus jets.

But combining the fleets would present an "interesting challenge," a spokesman for US Airways said. It's much too early, however, to speculate about what might happen with future orders for Boeing or Airbus planes, he added.

The above was edited due to length of article. Entire article can be read by clicking on link above

"Some Delta creditors, who will be the ones to vote on management's reorganization plan, are lining up on US Airways' side."

Do you really think that the creditors have the Delta employees interests at heart? Yeah, me too :p .
Wrong again, but keep trying. The bond holders mentioned get get no vote.

And you seem to forget there has been one vote already and the score was

DL - 1

Dougie - 0

So unless something has changed other than the formal filing with the SEC, the wonder boy is going to have to do some fast talking next week.

The bondholders if part of the U.S. Bank National Association and U.S. Bank Trust National Association will get a vote.

Those are EETCs and those holders do get a vote

The bondholders if part of the U.S. Bank National Association and U.S. Bank Trust National Association will get a vote.

Those are EETCs and those holders do get a vote
They are not part of that group. If they were they would in fact have a vote.

This is the same group that everyone wants to roll out as an example of who is voting for US. Did you miss the word "ad-hoc"?

I guess you missed the part where I said "if" part of.

And they dont have to be part of the committee to vote on the plan, if they are a creditor they get a vote.

I see you completely ignored the part if they are a creditor, which bondholders are they will get solicited for a vote on the POR.

You don't have to be on the Creditor's Committee to vote on the POR.

Latest posts