Delta May Have To Rehire 1,060 Pilots

Between low interest rates (increases lump sum retirements), rumors of bankruptcy, and sure to be coming pay cuts, that 1000 pilots will probably be offset by early retirements in fairly short order.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
Between low interest rates (increases lump sum retirements), rumors of bankruptcy, and sure to be coming pay cuts, that 1000 pilots will probably be offset by early retirements in fairly short order.

Jim
my sources tell me to expect roughly 300 early retirements on June 1.

I think its wonderful news. Delta was required to recall the furloughees because they met an RPM "trigger".

The Delta network flew the same number (or greater) of RPMs as they did prior to 09/11 for FOUR MONTHS IN A ROW!!!

Now granted, quite a few of those RPMs came from the regional-jet fleet. Regardless the passengers are back and metered capacity increases should be warranted.

At the very least this is an opportunity for Delta to take careful look at RJ city-pairs and determine which of them could support a mainline aircraft.

This will allow the company to use the RJ for its principal mission -- to develop new markets.

I too believe that the Delta MEC will use these furloughee recalls as pawns in their negotiations -- and that is dissapointing. But, thats ALPA. We shouldn't be surprised at anything that they do anymore. The good news is that it speaks for a beginning of industry recovery and HOPEFULLY the return of some pricing power for the airlines.

Either way, congratulations to the 1060 furloughed Delta pilots who will soon be returning to the cockpit.

luv2fly said:
It is really a mute point. Delta will most likely only recall a limited number of pilots at a time. Reaching those at the bottom could take a very long time, so it is hard to determine if those pilots will be needed when the time comes.
ok, I'll give you that one. The recall rate will very likely be about 20-30 a month, which means 3-4 years to get to the last pilots. By that time they may well need everyone on furlough, and then some.

By the way, it's moot, not mute! ;)

Furloughedagain said:
At the very least this is an opportunity for Delta to take careful look at RJ city-pairs and determine which of them could support a mainline aircraft.
Only problem is that DL doesn't have a lot of mainline planes to replace those RJ's. Plus, with DL's debt load and bloated cost structure, they can't get financing to buy any new mainline planes.

michael707767 said:
ok, I'll give you that one. The recall rate will very likely be about 20-30 a month, which means 3-4 years to get to the last pilots. By that time they may well need everyone on furlough, and then some.

By the way, it's moot, not mute! ;)
Yea, I know. For some reason I could not edit it.

BoeingBoy said:

Jim
Boeing,

I think you are right on. If the 30% paycuts, or BK proceedings become a reality, attrition will factor in to future furloughs. Many pilots will have seen their best final average earnings and or will not be willing to risk pensions in BK proceedings.

WNrforlife said:
"Way to go! Score one for labor! "

That's right! The DL pilots have put one more foot in the grave. Let's give them a big round of applause!!
You have some personal dislike for DL pilots? Care to share why?

Latest posts