Delta pilots to conduct ‘practice strike’

Jan 14, 2004
Delta pilots to conduct ‘practice strike’

Hundreds may participate in event to show carrier ‘what will happen’

The Associated Press
March 24, 2006

ATLANTA - The pilots union at Delta Air Lines Inc., locked in a battle with management over pay cuts, is encouraging rank-and-file members to stage a large demonstration next week that is being described as a “practice strike.â€

While full details have not been worked out, union spokeswoman Kelly Collins said in a memo to pilots Friday that the event will take place March 30 near Atlanta.

“Please participate in this opportunity to demonstrate our unity and show Delta management what will happen if they choose to reject our contract,†Collins wrote.

In a telephone interview, Collins said a few hundred pilots are expected to gather for a demonstration, possibly picketing or a march through the airport, though what the exercise will entail has not yet been worked out.

The pilots also will get information on the communications that would be set up in the event of an actual strike, Collins said.

“They don’t stop flying or anything like that,†Collins said. “They volunteer to come. It won’t interrupt service.â€

A Delta spokesman indicated the demonstration was not a major issue for the company. “There’s no disruption to our service or to our customers. Our focus remains on doing everything we can do to reach a consensual, comprehensive agreement with the pilots union. Our energies will continue to be focused on that goal, which we believe is achievable,†said company spokesman Bruce Hicks.

Nearly two weeks of arbitration hearings in Washington wrapped up Thursday. A three-member panel has until April 15 to decide on the company’s request to throw out its contract with its 6,000 pilots so it can impose up to $325 million in long-term pay and benefit cuts.

The union has said it will strike if its contract is voided.

The panel urged both sides to come together to reach a deal on their own, saying its decision could be disastrous to the 77-year-old airline, which says it will be forced out of business if its pilots strike.

As of Friday, however, there was no indication of exactly when the two sides would meet.

A strike authorization vote by rank-and-file pilots is scheduled to wrap up April 4. Such votes if successful typically give union leaders the right to set a strike date, but do not necessarily mean a strike is imminent.

Atlanta-based Delta, the nation’s third-largest airline, filed for Chapter 11 protection from its creditors in New York on Sept. 14.

Delta Pilots, with their "Practice Strike", are the laughing stock of the airline industry. Once they strike and find themselves unemployed, no other airline will hire them.
What a bunch of friggin' morons.

:p :p :p :p

A practice strike would be easy to perform...

-Sell the house(s)
-Move in with relatives
-Apply for unemployment
-Learn to budget on unemployment "wages"
-Lock all doors and barracade windows to protect from lench mobs of thousands of angry ex-Delta employees that lost jobs due to a pride showdown
-Obtain a new skill b/c it might be difficult to get into another carrier's ranks with a history of shutting down a carrier

Did I miss anything?

You missed a lot.

Wn for life, you're partly correct, Wn likely wouldn't hire many, they'd rather hire all the "company men" (AKA SCABS) that they can, just like the scab that overan BUR.

Chapt 12:
It takes two sides to have a strike. The pilots have drawn a line, and it looks like management has also. Sounds simple right? But there is a little more to it. The pilots AND management agreed to a contract. The pilots have REPEATEDLY agreed to give more back when the company needed it. Management on the other hand REFUSED to give back some of the concessions the last time the company recovered. Wasn't it Leo who said "a contract is a contract"? Funny the board punks forget that quote but have no trouble remembering the Dubinski Goose quote... :rolleyes:

But there is a simple solution. There is absolutely no reason for a strike. The pilots have said they WILL strike if the company has the contract thrown out. They MEAN it. The company, despite recent positive revenue surprises, claim the exact same dollar amount as before is required to ensure company survival. OK, the pilots called your bluff. Instead of a strike, why doesn't the management of DAL spend it's time trying to run the company? Take the last best offer from the pilots, and try to make a go of it. If it truely wasn't "enough", then the company will perish, and between trips to the unemployment line, Chapt 12 can come on the board and state his superiority and how the pilots, the glorified bus drivers that they are, are a menace to society. No strike is need.

But there is a problem with the plan. If DAL is succesful, the spoils to management won't be as large. The management won't be able to get the huge payraise in the form of stock and options on the backs of the employees like UAL's esteemed leadership did.

When you went to work at DAL, you KNEW ALPA was there. So did every other worker. I'd suggest you spend a little more time trying to do your job better, and less worrying about ALPA.

Chapt 12:
It takes two sides to have a strike. The pilots have drawn a line, and it looks like management has also. Sounds simple right? But there is a little more to it. The pilots AND management agreed to a contract. The pilots have REPEATEDLY agreed to give more back when the company needed it. Management on the other hand REFUSED to give back some of the concessions the last time the company recovered. Wasn't it Leo who said "a contract is a contract"? Funny the board punks forget that quote but have no trouble remembering the Dubinski Goose quote... :rolleyes:

But there is a simple solution. There is absolutely no reason for a strike. The pilots have said they WILL strike if the company has the contract thrown out. They MEAN it. The company, despite recent positive revenue surprises, claim the exact same dollar amount as before is required to ensure company survival. OK, the pilots called your bluff. Instead of a strike, why doesn't the management of DAL spend it's time trying to run the company? Take the last best offer from the pilots, and try to make a go of it. If it truely wasn't "enough", then the company will perish, and between trips to the unemployment line, Chapt 12 can come on the board and state his superiority and how the pilots, the glorified bus drivers that they are, are a menace to society. No strike is need.

But there is a problem with the plan. If DAL is succesful, the spoils to management won't be as large. The management won't be able to get the huge payraise in the form of stock and options on the backs of the employees like UAL's esteemed leadership did.

When you went to work at DAL, you KNEW ALPA was there. So did every other worker. I'd suggest you spend a little more time trying to do your job better, and less worrying about ALPA.

Bus-

Just when we were getting along so well! I'll ignore the comments about my "superiority complex" since that is what I directed at you in the past and just like the Bush ads during the campaign, you just tried to turn it around on me. Anyone seeing a history of either of our posts will see who is the one suffering a "superiority complex". I merely say that you don't save lives and that you have to accept the fact that the industry is not as profitable as it once was and therefore cannot handle wages that are HIGHER than they have been in the past.

OK...back to the topic. I AM doing my job b/c we are bringing in more revenue than expected. Now you say that the cuts aren't really necessary since we have had a couple of months of beating the forecast...and I'm SOOO glad you brought that up. Tell me what would happen if mgmt were to say "ok...we had a couple of decent months so let's not ask the pilots for a pay cut" and then in another month fuel returns to its inflated rates and the consumer begins to sour on the recent fare increases. Then in a year, DL is in even more serious trouble b/c they didn't try for the cuts due to a two-month hiccup that was deemed to be the "trend going forward" by those that now think cuts aren't neccessary. Then you come back to this board and blame mgmt b/c they should have indeed sought the wage cuts even though there was this blip in the trend. How stupid is it to call two months the new trend and to base all decisions on that? You deal with fuel options and forwards from what I gather, so would you assume that gasoline would stay at 4.99 a gallon just b/c it went there for a few weeks after Katrina? Would you assume that fuel would stay at 0.88 a gallon as it did after the first gulf war just b/c it did for a couple of months? No...I would hope not. So yes...the cuts are still necessary b/c to have a longterm biz plan, you must plan based on the long term and not a short term anomaly. You know that but pretend to be obtuse.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...pride and ignorance are a horrible combo and to think that it is a victory to shut down a company just to save your pride is pretty damned ignorant. It is ignorant to ignore the huge increases obtained in the last decade (which you blatantly do ignore) and it is ignorant to think that a company that cannot achieve profits on its revenues does not need to cut costs. I am doing my job to increase revenue. Too bad the cost piece of the equation is being held hostage by pride and ignorance.

A practice strike would be easy to perform...

-Sell the house(s)
-Move in with relatives
-Apply for unemployment
-Learn to budget on unemployment "wages"
-Lock all doors and barracade windows to protect from lench mobs of thousands of angry ex-Delta employees that lost jobs due to a pride showdown
-Obtain a new skill b/c it might be difficult to get into another carrier's ranks with a history of shutting down a carrier

Did I miss anything?
I don't think you can file for unemployment in some places if you lose your job while on strike.

Management on the other hand REFUSED to give back some of the concessions the last time the company recovered. Wasn't it Leo who said "a contract is a contract"?

Leo's quote needs to be examined more in context.

If I remember correctly in the early 1990's, Delta implemented Leadership 7.5. Ron Allen came to ALPA and asked them to take a pay cut of 5% since the rest of the company had just taken 5% paycuts. ALPA said no.

I think that some pilots voluntarily tried gave up 5%, and ALPA prevented those pilots from participating. It seems that the beginning of 7.5 happened in the middle of a contract and ALPA did not have to negotiate with the company mid contract.

The contract came up for negotiation around 1996. Due to the poor state of the industry, ALPA negotiated a concessionary contract. A few years later, the company is doing well, and ALPA, forgetting its failure to give concessions mid-contract, wanted open negotiations early.

At that time, Leo was new to the company and his quote was something like he understood "a contract is a contract" around here. Frankly, I do not remember the exact words, but I think that it was in the media. If someone can find the article, I would like to reread it.

Ever since, ALPA has been waiving that statement like a bloody flag to incite its membership. ALPA does not bring up the fact that a "contract was a contract" during the onset of 7.5 when they refused to participate.

Both ALPA and management need to move on, check their egos, and get to work.

The past is the past, and neither party has clean hands.