Delta's cleaners on strike at LGA

I saw an aritcle where it was stated that the AirServ workers were concerned about ebola exposure.   Apparently they're exposed to blood and vomit all the time and don't have any protective gear.  Also one of their other complaints is that cleaning times have been reduced from 45 min to 5 min.

I'm just curious:  are these truthful claims or a slight exagerration(s)?

How cld the cleanin time be changed fro 45 to 5 min unless its to pick up trash from seat backs n may be quick lav cleaning or restocking?

1798423_933034166724975_2772470328763637020_n.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
robbedagain said:
How cld the cleanin time be changed fro 45 to 5 min unless its to pick up trash from seat backs n may be quick lav cleaning or restocking?
The article isn't very clear, but 45 minutes to turn clean a NB is a lot, and 5 minutes isn't nearly enough. The latter might get you a changing out of galley trash and a quick look for "big pieces" of trash on a CRJ. On a M/L flight, it might mean a quick breeze through FC, but unless there's 2-3 people minimum, nothing that HVC's normally expect.

I'm more interested in why they're not being supplied PPE. Some gloves aren't too much to ask...

Go to NRT and watch the 20+ uniformed cleaners board a NH 777. It can be done, I wonder how the compensation and terms of employment they are offered compares to the DL vendor.

Josh

Cool story. Can you show us anywhere in the US where AirServ brings that many to a flight? Besides uniforms, do the cleaners at NRT come through the cabin door with the proper PPE?

The times I have seen them they arrive in several vans and all run up the stairs of the jetbridge and on to the aircraft. Not sure if they are true NH employees or not, but I assume the laws and ideology in Japan are more conducive to worker and occupational safety.

Josh

let's be very clear that the contractor, not DL, provides the tools they need for the job. The contractor is required to comply with federal regulations which again clearly provide for appropriate PPE. DL allows its own FAs to use gloves to pick up trash in the cabin and DL provides that equipment.

this is an issue btween the contractor and their employees. It is probably precisely because of the fact that the contractor stands to lose the contract if they fail to provide the service for which they were contracted by DL to do.

and DL absolutely has processes to accelerate ground procedures in the event of a quick turn due to a delay which means cutting certain parts of the process. No contractor or DL employees are expected to provide the same service for a delayed flight/reduced ground time as compared to what exists for a standard turn flight.

and, no, Josh, the laws are not any greater to protect worker safety. It is not uncommon in many countries for more workers to do the job than fewer American workers do. .... that's not just an airline cleaner situation - that applies across the entire American workforce. Americans are far more productive than their peers in other countries.

Reactions: 1 person
700UW said:
 uh oh....how long before they get DGSed or Menzied 

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:
I saw an aritcle where it was stated that the AirServ workers were concerned about ebola exposure.   Apparently they're exposed to blood and vomit all the time and don't have any protective gear.  Also one of their other complaints is that cleaning times have been reduced from 45 min to 5 min.

I'm just curious:  are these truthful claims or a slight exagerration(s)?
Don't know about the turn times but I know things like gloves are an issue, at least in Atlanta.  
WorldTraveler said:
let's be very clear that the contractor, not DL, provides the tools they need for the job. The contractor is required to comply with federal regulations which again clearly provide for appropriate PPE. DL allows its own FAs to use gloves to pick up trash in the cabin and DL provides that equipment.

this is an issue btween the contractor and their employees. It is probably precisely because of the fact that the contractor stands to lose the contract if they fail to provide the service for which they were contracted by DL to do.

and DL absolutely has processes to accelerate ground procedures in the event of a quick turn due to a delay which means cutting certain parts of the process. No contractor or DL employees are expected to provide the same service for a delayed flight/reduced ground time as compared to what exists for a standard turn flight.

and, no, Josh, the laws are not any greater to protect worker safety. It is not uncommon in many countries for more workers to do the job than fewer American workers do. .... that's not just an airline cleaner situation - that applies across the entire American workforce. Americans are far more productive than their peers in other countries.
The laws don't but, and this is just a general observation, most countries in Asia do seem to be more "clean" than the US. (just look at all the people that wear masks everywhere.) 

anyways this is an AirServ norm. 

given that there flowers in the public restrooms in the subway in Tokyo, yes, Asia is much more focused on clean and neat.

but there is still no evidence that federal laws that currently exist were being violated PPE.

There are plenty of diseases that existed long before Ebola and which are far more prevalent. Wearing PPE when touching anything that could have been infected by someone else's bodily fluids is the reality in today's world.

and, for now, the US "center" of the Ebola outbreak is Dallas, not NYC.

WorldTraveler said:
There are plenty of diseases that existed long before Ebola and which are far more prevalent. Wearing PPE when touching anything that could have been infected by someone else's bodily fluids is the reality in today's world.

That's irrelevant
You should be asking yourself which of those diseases that are more prevalent than ebola have a higher mortality rate.

Of all the comments you've made, this one might just as well qualify as your dumbest.