Flight 408

Mechanic here. Just speculation BUT we do replace the number 5 bearing scavenge tubes on heavy checks. This bearing is accessed through the exhaust cone, it must be removed to work this. If tubes become 'coked' up ie clogged the compartment will fill with oil and then subsequently catch on fire. Has happened on previous occasions. I do NOT know the nature of the fire in question however.

What's up with all the AC damage as of late. Ugly ugly push back SFO the other night with jet way not retracted. Skin and Frames tore up good. Down jacking incident ORD etc etc.....

FL030 said:
Mechanic here. Just speculation BUT we do replace the number 5 bearing scavenge tubes on heavy checks. This bearing is accessed through the exhaust cone, it must be removed to work this. If tubes become 'coked' up ie clogged the compartment will fill with oil and then subsequently catch on fire. Has happened on previous occasions. I do NOT know the nature of the fire in question however.

What's up with all the AC damage as of late. Ugly ugly push back SFO the other night with jet way not retracted. Skin and Frames tore up good. Down jacking incident ORD etc etc.....
[post="260197"][/post]​

A better reply should be 'did' instead of 'do'. We don't do heavy maintenance on didly (soon 'C' Checks will be gone also) and we have never 'overhauled' the V2500 (talk to Pratt on this one). I certainly do not know what happened and will not 'speculate' but rumor is that it was pilot error. :p

On the 'push back', well....... We got what we paid for...... :blink:

B) UT

It's very difficult to speculate on the cause of this event without reading the transcript of the investigation that is ongoing, or speaking directly with the flight crew.

News media reports on events like this are sorely lacking in factual information and just insight speculation.

As a pilot I can think of a dozen possible scenarios off the top of my head. Could have been a major mechaincal failure, (not very likely on taxi out) or a simple tail pipe torching while starting #2 that scared a passenger, resulting in a passenger induced evacuation. (much more common)

There really is no way of knowing anything certain at this time.

Who Cares.......Get on to Pay and Benifits as Tripconfirmed say above, we'll get more replys.

Latest posts

Back