Democrats and the Airlines

HI-LOCK

Aug 30, 2002
Democrat Bill Clinton is the One who set the precedent of intervening in Airline labor disputes in the 1990''s.He stopped the American Airlines pilot''s strike 8 minutes after it was called.Prior to this, most presidents kept a hands off approach to airline labor disputes.He used some lame excuse that the AA pilots were not a Union but an Association.The APA is an Association in name only but sure looks like a Union to me.

The Democrates are no different from the Republicans. Count on them both to be cozy with corporate management, regardless of their ethics or competence. .. . because that's where the fat cat jobs and lucrative "investments" are after government service. Any bones thrown to unions are only for show.

Actually Clinton started a bit earlier when he informally intervened in the Flight Attendant strike by personally calling Crandall and suggesting he put the dispute to arbitration.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/18/2002 3:22:41 AM HI-LOCK wrote:

Democrat Bill Clinton is the One who set the precedent of intervening in Airline labor disputes in the 1990's.He stopped the American Airlines pilot's strike 8 minutes after it was called.Prior to this, most presidents kept a hands off approach to airline labor disputes.He used some lame excuse that the AA pilots were not a Union but an Association.The APA is an Association in name only but sure looks like a Union to me.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Actually it was the NMB that set the precedent by calling for the PEB for the APA/AA dispute. Only one President ever rejected the NMBs suggestion for a PEB, that was Bush the First who did so at the request of "his freind Frank Lorenzo" in an effort to bust the unions. I beleive that Clintons lame excuse was that Latin American economies could become destabilized if AA cut service. I felt that since Bush had set the precident of not enacting a PEB at a time when it could have helped labor, Clinton should have allowed the pilots to strike. Unfortunately Labor politics came into play because the APA was not affiliated. The rest is another sad chapter in Labor history.

[blockquote]----------------On 12/18/2002 6:49:43 PM Bob Owens wrote: [blockquote]
----------------
On 12/18/2002 3:22:41 AM HI-LOCK wrote:

Democrat Bill Clinton is the One who set the precedent of intervening in Airline labor disputes in the 1990's.He stopped the American Airlines pilot's strike 8 minutes after it was called.Prior to this, most presidents kept a hands off approach to airline labor disputes.He used some lame excuse that the AA pilots were not a Union but an Association.The APA is an Association in name only but sure looks like a Union to me.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Actually it was the NMB that set the precedent by calling for the PEB for the APA/AA dispute. Only one President ever rejected the NMBs suggestion for a PEB, that was Bush the First who did so at the request of "his freind Frank Lorenzo" in an effort to bust the unions. I beleive that Clintons lame excuse was that Latin American economies could become destabilized if AA cut service. I felt that since Bush had set the precident of not enacting a PEB at a time when it could have helped labor, Clinton should have allowed the pilots to strike. Unfortunately Labor politics came into play because the APA was not affiliated. The rest is another sad chapter in Labor history.
----------------[/blockquote]

Talking about the deck-chair arrangement on the Titanic sure is fun.

The way I see it, our society is like ship headed for an iceberg. The Repubs like the Titanic, First, Coach and Steerage classes. The Dem idea is a modern cruise ship, pretty much one class, but both ships are headed for the rendezvous with the 'berg.
The option is: do you want to see the tragedy from the smoking room and the promenade deck or from the cramped area at the stern?

Clinton's interference was to keep the airline flying and the public traveling over holidays as I recall.

Bush's interference does not seem to care about either the public or the employees. His crowd travel by private jet, and the bigboy shareholders will be protected anyway.

If you need proof, look at the slick operation the Williams Co, pulled. Or the 408 million Bernie Ebbers owes Worldcom, they could use that money right now. The millions that the ENRON exec walked with. Yet when a bank goes belly up the little guy has to put his CD back in the pot. Or for that matter the talked about Senator from Tn, Fisk(?), from the Columbia Hospital fame family, up for majority leader.

Or the 408 million Bernie Ebbers owes Worldcom, they could use that money right now. The millions that the ENRON exec walked with[BR][BR]It still amazes me that all this was allowed to happen in just two short years after Bush's election. Seems to me like his predecessor was turning a very blind eye to the goings on at these companies.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/19/2002 11:41:58 AM j7915 wrote:

Talking about the deck-chair arrangement on the Titanic sure is fun.

The way I see it, our society is like ship headed for an iceberg. The Repubs like the Titanic, First, Coach and Steerage classes. The Dem idea is a modern cruise ship, pretty much one class, but both ships are headed for the rendezvous with the 'berg.
The option is: do you want to see the tragedy from the smoking room and the promenade deck or from the cramped area at the stern?

----------------
[/blockquote]

Well as I see it, its more like we are all on the same boat, but while the two a**holes from first class are fighting for control of the wheel we are all headed towards the iceberg.