Demonstrators pledge to fight Morsi power grab

xUT

Veteran
Dec 28, 2009
SanFranFreako, KommieFornia
Demonstrators pledge to fight Morsi power grab

Mohamed Morsi outraged many Egyptians this week with a decree that all his decisions would be immune from judicial review.
After a day of protests both for and against the Islamic leader, demonstrators in Tahrir Square - the symbolic heart of protests that toppled Hosni Mubarak last year - have begun what they say will be a week-long sit-in.
"We are heading towards a totalitarian regime again for the second time. This is not what we revolted for. I elected Morsi myself the last time and now Morsi is repeating Mubarak's mistakes," one protester told the BBC.
"We are protesting against this new declaration which give him more and more power, unprecedented power. We can't accept that," another said.
Under a declaration read out on television on Thursday, the president "can issue any decision or measure to protect the revolution... The constitutional declarations, decisions and laws issued by the president are final and not subject to appeal."
DOH!
https://www.youtube....h?v=H22t-tiWiLw

I believe I heard Morisi claim that the power grab easy only supposed to be temporary to avoid Mubarak parliament allies from screwing things up. I some how doubt that.

The Egyptians voted the SOB into power, now lets see what they are going to do about it.

Reactions: 1 person
I believe I heard Morisi claim that the power grab easy only supposed to be temporary to avoid Mubarak parliament allies from screwing things up. I some how doubt that.

The Egyptians voted the SOB into power, now lets see what they are going to do about it.
I believe Morsi is trying to protect the elected officials from a Judiciary that was largely appointed by Mubarak.

From what little I know at this point, I think that they have the power to usurp the will of the people who elected the current administration.

I do not know enough about the background to weigh in with an opinion on this, but all may not be as it seems to us over here.

I do trust our Secretary of State to work through this with sound policy.

PS: Ms. Tree - please turn off your auto correct feature. It makes your posts turn into gibberish at times.

Actually, that was a pre-coffee post.

My spelling and typing has always been horrible. I need spell check to survive.

Reactions: 1 person
I 'think' Morsi was one of more than 2 candidates to win, via a small majority.
The Egyptians are signaling that they want Less religion in thier new HARD FOUGHT Arab Spring.
And I sincerely believe they Will achieve that goal.

I believe Morsi is trying to protect the elected officials from a Judiciary that was largely appointed by Mubarak.

From what little I know at this point, I think that they have the power to usurp the will of the people who elected the current administration.

That's what most dictators say, just doing the will of the people.

You could be right. The problem with Egypt is that the Judicial system is made up of appointees that cannot be removed from office. They all were appointed by Mubarak.

Maybe he should find a way to work within the system?