Did Doogie Just Blink?

nycbusdriver

Veteran
Dec 19, 2002
The Capital of the World
Visit site
From the East Pilots' MEC Code-a-Phone (June 29):

Item 1. With the summer season underway, and the number of passengers traveling by air at an all-time high, US Airways management has suddenly realized that they are woefully understaffed and have approached the MEC with a "deal" that would, as they put it, "minimize any adverse impact such shortages would have on our pilots or our customers." Surprise, management says that they are "very tight on 76I pilots and base imbalances in other positions."

Month after month we have been on the emergency relief valve of 95 hour pay caps, additional flex, and ‘Priority of Trip Assignments’ (POTA), all with over a one thousand four hundred US Airways pilots on the street. For months we have told management and the press that we are understaffed, resulting in our pilots being tired and fatigued with data from the Wilson poll to prove it. Management’s answer has always been we are properly staffed. Now they want staffing relief from you.

Basically, for the months of July and August, management is looking to bribe our pilots and offer 25% percent premium for any block hour flown over 85 hours in exchange for major scheduling relief including moving line holder pilots. A short term fix with no long term benefits to our pilots. We say we have many contract issues and parity is a starter. We will not sell ourselves out. This one way street where management continues to ignore our needs and expect us to address theirs by throwing crumbs on the table is insulting.

We have a strategy called the “Three Prong Approach.â€￾ There is no doubt your efforts are being noticed. One of the prongs calls for our pilots to “Do Your Own Job,â€￾ and give an opportunity for the other work groups to do their job. We now ask management to do their job including staffing and operating the airline successfully. That takes more than figuring out how much you squeeze out of your employees and how little you can compensate them.

Looks like all of the employees in the east have Doogie's attention. Now it's too late for him to find out that merely throwing a pittance of money in our direction will have any effect.

-- Respect.

-- Adequate staffing.

-- Fair, industry leading compensation.

These things for ALL the employees MIGHT bring the operation back from the brink of oblivion. I think it's way too late for Doogie to accomplish this. It will be a LONG, HOT summer.

<SNIP>
From the East Pilots' MEC Code-a-Phone (June 29):

Basically, for the months of July and August, management is looking to bribe our pilots and offer 25% percent premium for any block hour flown over 85 hours in exchange for major scheduling relief including moving line holder pilots.

Hey, Tempe;

9ej7d6r.jpg

I love it, I'm more motivated now to "extend my summer vacation" just call 1-800-IAM-SICK!!!!!!!! Equal pay for equal work Douglas.

Sounds EXCITING......not only does This Circus have the BEST Clowns (in the industry) but we have a rollercoaster to give a great ride. :lol: And with Record load factors in the terminals, the FUN HOUSE is good for a Good Laugh too. <Let ME At 'Em!>. Where in the hell is the Cotton Candy and Popcorn?

I think it was last summer or the summer before they were so short on B757 captains that they contractually cxled all their vacations on short notice. It didn't matter anyways since as usual no one had any respect for the company all the guys called in sick. It was great... down grade central. Leave to America West "amateur" management to make the right choices.

You can get by on the cheap at MacDonalds.

Airlines are a different beast. So far, management has gotten away with playing one group against the other. Now each group gets paid so bad, they're finally tending to their own business - it's hard to imagine a pilot b*t<hing about overpaid rampers like in 2002.

I just hope workers are going to be ruthless enough to see it thru this time- otherwise you'll be working for less (again).

Basically, for the months of July and August, management is looking to bribe our pilots and offer 25% percent premium for any block hour flown over 85 hours in exchange for major scheduling relief including moving line holder pilots. A short term fix with no long term benefits to our pilots.

Driver,

I don't have a lot of detailed info on LOA 93, but from this code-a-phone it appears that it doesn't contain what the West calls "Red Flag" pairings......trips in open time that are payed at 125% and can only be picked up by pilots on days off (Maestro won't let you drop your regular 3-day and pick up a Red Flag over the same three days)

In the last two months, we've seen a large increase of these trips in open time, as well as a monthly flex on just about all positions in the last two months(Average line increased by 4 hours each month...something that per contract can only be done 6 times a year).

Looks like we're tight on crews on both sides of the fence. Understand that all parties involved met at ALPA HQ last week to discuss how the events of the last few years have affected the flow-through agreement that existed with the wholly-owned regionals (Again, an agreement I don't know the particulars about).

From ALPA:

""In light of anticipated hiring by US Airways in the near future, MEC pilot representatives from America West, Piedmont, PSA and US Airways, along with ALPA’s president, Capt. John Prater, vice-president–administration/secretary, Capt. Bill Couette, and other ALPA representatives, met Thursday to discuss concepts of career protection and ways to promote progression to the mainline from the wholly owned carriers

Everyone agreed that it would be valuable to continue these discussions internally and then to approach management with basic parameters of a system to accomplish these objectives. The members of the group committed resources from their own MECs and ALPA National to work on the project.""

Sounds like they're not expecting too many furloughees to accept recall (but that's another discussion all together) and are getting ready for hiring off the street.

Interesting times are about to get even more interesting. Not sure if I can handle all of this excitement.

Driver,

I don't have a lot of detailed info on LOA 93, but from this code-a-phone it appears that it doesn't contain what the West calls "Red Flag" pairings......trips in open time that are payed at 125% and can only be picked up by pilots on days off (Maestro won't let you drop your regular 3-day and pick up a Red Flag over the same three days)

In the last two months, we've seen a large increase of these trips in open time, as well as a monthly flex on just about all positions in the last two months(Average line increased by 4 hours each month...something that per contract can only be done 6 times a year).

Looks like we're tight on crews on both sides of the fence. Understand that all parties involved met at ALPA HQ last week to discuss how the events of the last few years have affected the flow-through agreement that existed with the wholly-owned regionals (Again, an agreement I don't know the particulars about).

From ALPA:

""In light of anticipated hiring by US Airways in the near future, MEC pilot representatives from America West, Piedmont, PSA and US Airways, along with ALPA’s president, Capt. John Prater, vice-president–administration/secretary, Capt. Bill Couette, and other ALPA representatives, met Thursday to discuss concepts of career protection and ways to promote progression to the mainline from the wholly owned carriers

Everyone agreed that it would be valuable to continue these discussions internally and then to approach management with basic parameters of a system to accomplish these objectives. The members of the group committed resources from their own MECs and ALPA National to work on the project.""
Sounds like they're not expecting too many furloughees to accept recall (but that's another discussion all together) and are getting ready for hiring off the street.

Interesting times are about to get even more interesting. Not sure if I can handle all of this excitement.

In the east, there is no such thing as "red flag" trips. Right now, we get paid our straight hourly rate for everything, except deadhead which is 1/2 the hourly rate.

We have no cap on the number of times we can be flexed in a year, so now almost all positions are flexed to 95 hours every month (which means you have to fly at least 85 or your block, whichever is greater.) Many on the east are just tired of the whole thing and drop down to 85 (or lower) then tell the company to stick it. This makes for lots of cancelled flights on the east side, and Doogie doesn't like it one bit. Two years ago his offer of a bribe probably would have had the east pilots falling all over each other trying to get that extra time and pay. Now, we're just worn out and pissed and the piddling money is not likely to have much effect.

I totally agree with your assessment: "Interesting times are about to get even more interesting. Not sure if I can handle all of this excitement."

Many on the east are just tired of the whole thing and drop down to 85 (or lower) then tell the company to stick it. This makes for lots of cancelled flights on the east side, and Doogie doesn't like it one bit.

We're supposed to be able to drop down to 40 but I can't recall anybody doing that. It's almost impossible to drop trips unless you're signed on to the system right at noon on the twentieth when "Drop / Pick-up" (DPU) opens for the next bid month. (Maestro won't allow you to drop trips if it brings staffing below a certain level). So sick-time is used for "schedule-improvement purposes". We're even seeing JAs this month for the first time in a long time.

If we weren't spending so much time fighting each other we might have been able to use the leverage to our full advantage.

If we weren't spending so much time fighting each other we might have been able to use the leverage to our full advantage.

Fully agree. There's a great window of opportunity for labor here. Any fresh thoughts on fences?

Fully agree. There's a great window of opportunity for labor here. Any fresh thoughts on fences?

Here's a fresh, totally uninformed thought:

DOH safe harbors: something less than all of the East. Say one large hub or a collection of the small hubs(DCA, LGA, BOS, PIT).

Seriously, AWA pilots, even if you managed to grant an epiphany upon every USEast pilot that their legal position is crap, wouldn't you still have years or decades of bad feeling? Isn't there a possibility for a small concession, bordering on inconsequential, to provide great benefits in goodwill, solidarity and lack of whipsawing over decades?

It seems to me, totally from the outside, that the Nic award is at least ill-conceived because it's divergences get GREATER the lower down the list you go, insuring bad feeling for years to come. (Honestly, I'd call the benefit reaped by pilots hired post 9-11 a 'windfall' in laymen's terms)

Seriously, how many AWA pilots are going to want to flood high cost, hard commute east bases? So, give up nothing, or very little, for huge benefits in future good-will. Just put it in writing as a side agreement.

I can't even figure out how this would 'flow' if you created 'safe harbor' bases (either east only bases, or DOH bases) that are some sub-set of the east operation.

Again, best case scenario for west with the do nothing approach: you win the point and the opportunity to bid captains seats out of LGA and PIT and lose any chance for solidarity for years or decades: good deal, huh?

It just seems so silly to an outsider. And east pilots: you aren't helping your position with actions that verge on extortion.

Here's a fresh, totally uninformed thought:

DOH safe harbors: something less than all of the East. Say one large hub or a collection of the small hubs(DCA, LGA, BOS, PIT).

Seriously, AWA pilots, even if you managed to grant an epiphany upon every USEast pilot that their legal position is crap, wouldn't you still have years or decades of bad feeling? Isn't there a possibility for a small concession, bordering on inconsequential, to provide great benefits in goodwill, solidarity and lack of whipsawing over decades?

That's basically what ALPA National wants the two pilot groups to do: have the two MECs come up with a solution / amendment that is palatable (read: will tick off both evenly) to both pilot groups.

The big hold-up is that the AAA MEC needs such a solution as an amendment to the Nicolau award in order to save their own positions whereas the AWA MEC (for equally obvious reasons) wants to make any kind of amendment a part of the joint contract after the Nic award has been accepted by ALPA National and presented to US management.

My WAG is that the proposed solution will be something like all future Captain slots ratioed at 1:1 or maybe 2:1 (AAA:AWA East Coast cities, AWA:AAA West Coast Cities). I know that's a crappy solution but all ALPA needs is 50% + 1.

Ahem. In a flex month you <may> fly over 90, at your option (unless you hold a reserve line...).
You may sap down to 15 hrs. less than the monthly cap. So, if the cap is 90 when sap is run, you can go down to 75, and in a 'normal' month (what is that???) you may sap to 70. If you sap, then your monthly obligation is the value of your new 'sapped' line. If you don't, then it's 80 hrs.
Also, 125% of nothin' still equals nothin'. For a group II f/o, flying 'overtime' for 5 hours would net you another whopping $106.61. sutract ALPA dues and taxes from that.....and.......WHOOPTY-FREEKIN' DOOOOOO.
Looks like they want us to work for nothin' (again).