Discontinued Service--pit Begins....

gso2pit

Advanced
Mar 2, 2004
Here is a list so far:

Ashland, Kentucky: One daily Piedmont-operated service ends 7 August. Continued to be served from Charlotte.

Bluefield, West Virgina/Beckley, West Virgina: Three daily Colgan-operated traingle routed round-trips end 7 September. They will be replaced with one daily trinagle routing to Columbus, Ohio and two daily to Washington/Dulles.

Evansville, Indiana: Three daily Trans State-operated flights end 7 September. The flight will switch to Charlotte the next day.

Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Three daily Shuttle America-operated flights end 7 September. US Airways will no longer serve Ft. Wayne.

Memphis, Tenn.: Two daily Mesa and PSA operated flights end 3 September. US Airways will continue to serve Memphis from Charlotte.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin: Three daily Trans State and Chauquata operated flights end 7 September. US Airways will continue to serve Milwaukee from Charlotte and Philadelphia.

Reading, Penn.: Three daily Midwest-operated flights end 7 September. Reading will no longer have commerical air service.

Toldeo, Ohio: Four daily Shuttle America-operated flights end 31 July. US Airways will no longer serve Toldeo.

Unrelated to PIT, US will once again pull out of Chicago Midway effective 9/3

gso2pit said:
Here is a list so far:

Ashland, Kentucky: One daily Piedmont-operated service ends 7 August. Continued to be served from Charlotte.

Bluefield, West Virgina/Beckley, West Virgina: Three daily Colgan-operated traingle routed round-trips end 7 September. They will be replaced with one daily trinagle routing to Columbus, Ohio and two daily to Washington/Dulles.

Evansville, Indiana: Three daily Trans State-operated flights end 7 September. The flight will switch to Charlotte the next day.

Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Three daily Shuttle America-operated flights end 7 September. US Airways will no longer serve Ft. Wayne.

Memphis, Tenn.: Two daily Mesa and PSA operated flights end 3 September. US Airways will continue to serve Memphis from Charlotte.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin: Three daily Trans State and Chauquata operated flights end 7 September. US Airways will continue to serve Milwaukee from Charlotte and Philadelphia.

Reading, Penn.: Three daily Midwest-operated flights end 7 September. Reading will no longer have commerical air service.

Toldeo, Ohio: Four daily Shuttle America-operated flights end 31 July. US Airways will no longer serve Toldeo.

Unrelated to PIT, US will once again pull out of Chicago Midway effective 9/3
Don't forget, US announced on Friday that
service from PIT-SBN will also be discontinued
on Sept. 8. That means that US is pulling out
of SBN altogether because there will be no
replacement service from PHL or CLT.

Sounds like we are just PULLING out of everywhere. Our company is so utterly cowardly and rutheless.

Sorry for the folks who no longer get to fly on U, thanks for all the years of devotion you have given us and help to provide our livelihood.

:up: :up:

Dog Wonder said:
Pulling out of nowhere is not pulling out of everywhrere.

Have you ever been to Reading?
Dog Wonder, as a matter of fact...I have flown into Reading 2 times in the last couple of months. I even lived in Reading back in the 60's. I had a very bad experience with a Costomer Service Agent there, which as a Non-Rev...we keep our mouths shut...but a paying frequent customer was livid and vowed he would never use Reading Airport again...

I posted this situation some time back.

Actually, Reading has a very nice vacility and I am sorry to see it go. :(

ktflyhome said:
Our company is so utterly cowardly and rutheless.
Funny, usually those two adjectives are used as comparitive, not complimentary, terms.

In any case, I have to ask what you'd suggest instead. Assume for the moment that you can't cut costs (kind of a big assumption, but from the actions of those in Crystal City, it seems to be their impression). Do you
  • stay in PIT at the high fares, and lose money because of low O&D?
  • stay in PIT and try to increase O&D by introducing GoFares and lose money because you're selling seats at below cost? Or
  • pull out of PIT and try to minimize the damage?
None of those choices are particularly appealing. Do you have another option?

mweiss said:
Funny, usually those two adjectives are used as comparitive, not complimentary, terms.

In any case, I have to ask what you'd suggest instead. Assume for the moment that you can't cut costs (kind of a big assumption, but from the actions of those in Crystal City, it seems to be their impression). Do you
  • stay in PIT at the high fares, and lose money because of low O&D?
  • stay in PIT and try to increase O&D by introducing GoFares and lose money because you're selling seats at below cost? Or
  • pull out of PIT and try to minimize the damage?
None of those choices are particularly appealing. Do you have another option?
Why doesnt U just pull out of everywhere its loosing money?

How about just liquidating the whole frickin airline?

How about liquidating EVERY airline that isnt making money RIGHT NOW.

The whole damn situation is depressing :(

RWerksman said:
Why doesnt U just pull out of everywhere its loosing money?
Because that would essentially mean shutting the airline down.
How about just liquidating the whole frickin airline?
That's certainly an option. Instead, upper management has claimed to be working out a more point-to-point focus, which should make it possible to be profitable.
How about liquidating EVERY airline that isnt making money RIGHT NOW.
Because some have a good shot at profitability in the near future. Looking at spot numbers isn't useful; you need to look at future projections. Losing money for a while is fine if you're going to more than make up for it in the future.
The whole damn situation is depressing :(
No argument there.

The last numbers I've seen are a year old, but if we can't make money at what was then our highest yield hub what are our chances of making it anywhere?

Jim

In addition, PIT-MSP will be gone this September. MSP will still be served to CLT/PHL