DL lands maintenance contract with HAL

Kev3188

Veteran
Oct 5, 2003
Right in the middle.
This article says the deal could be worth up to $500 million dollars.

I have to say that I think Tech Ops is doing a good job landing these MRO contracts. Next, I'd like to see them do the same at the ACS level (using M/L employees, not RHS or DGS).

This article says the deal could be worth up to $500 million dollars.

I have to say that I think Tech Ops is doing a good job landing these MRO contracts. Next, I'd like to see them do the same at the ACS level (using M/L employees, not RHS or DGS).

I'd like to see some of that money go in the pockets of the people actually accomplishing the work!

Ironic thing is DL outsources their own planes as does NW and then they bid on bringing in work from other airlines, sounds like hypocrisy to me.

The work DL outsources is cheaper to outsource while allowing Tech Ops to turn around and bring in much higher value work. For airlines like HA, DL provides an entire suite of maintenance services including managing the whole process and DL can do it far more efficiently than airlines like HA can do it on their own.

Good to see that DL is quickly putting its new Airbus capabilities to work!

Its not the point, DL and NW laid-off mechanics due to outsourcing, and the in-sourcing of work is not creating jobs.

And most major airlines offer line and base mtc to other carriers.

Would anybody agree that Techops brings in enough revenue for the employees working there?

The work DL outsources is cheaper to outsource while allowing Tech Ops to turn around and bring in much higher value work. For airlines like HA, DL provides an entire suite of maintenance services including managing the whole process and DL can do it far more efficiently than airlines like HA can do it on their own.

Good to see that DL is quickly putting its new Airbus capabilities to work!

Would you agree that Delta should recognize insource work when it comes to quarterly and year-end profits or loss? In general people have to understand that Delta have enough on hand cash etc... to buy life, but put it out in the public like the underdog when it comes to compensation to the workers then turnaround and let customers know that they are the biggest baddest thing walking. Lets make sense of some of the questioning we have about Delta and research for an answer that will not have us questioning our answer. Let's get to the bottom line

Ironic thing is DL outsources their own planes as does NW and then they bid on bringing in work from other airlines, sounds like hypocrisy to me.
I would love to see Tech Ops bring back all the out sourced work from 2003-2004. It just isn't going to happen. Between the MD88/90 and the 757/767 they would need to start six or seven lines. First hurdle is where? After giving away the DFW, TPA and ATL (North) hangars, there isn't room at the TOC. The other hangars in the system are for line to use for a checks. Second hurdle is personel. Most of the furloughed guys are not going to come back at this point. For ATL I think the list is pretty much done. Can't say about the NW guys. So we are looking at a lot of new hires in these new hangars that BTW we can't afford. These are also dead end fleets. How many HMV's are we going to do on these?

Now let's look at the HA work. I think we do line checks and A checks on the 767's for them in LAX. I would bet the A330 contract is very similar. I bet we also do the engine overhauls and maybe some of the componet overhauls. That is all high dollar work. The HMV stuff is low margin.

DL does report the margin and revenue on its insourced work separately from its own operations - and Tech Ops insourced work is worth about 10% margins.

HMV work is low margin and not viable for DL to do in-house regardless of what others carriers might choose to do.

DL is the largest US based airline MRO and was even before the NW merger. The Airbus capabilities will only expand what DL and NW can do.

All of those people who want to criticize DL's hugely dissimilar fleet post-merger might want to factor in what DL can do in MX contracts because of that diversity.

Once again you fail to address all the layoffs in mtc due to outsourcing and no jobs brought back due to bringing in other airlines work.

Year ago, US did HP, Air South, Vanguard, Trump Shuttle, Challenge Air Cargo and several other airlines base mtc, there is money to be made there also, just more of a challenge because usually a HMV visit is always more than expected once you open up the plane.

Piedmont did lots of line mtc for other airlines in various cities, just like US uses AA, NW, Monarch and several other airlines to do the ETOPS checks in Europe as US doesnt staff any mtc overseas.

PSA actually had the exclusive rights for the North American overhaul of Rolls Royce Engines, till stupidly US shut it down.