Northwest Maintenance

BTW Kev yes they are. Lets get with the program.

When compared in relation to the current fleet size, then no, they're not. I'm using numbers the compnay provides, by the way.

Get with what program?

The decimated maintenance program at NW?

The wholesale outsourcing of mainline employees program?

Groundco?

Newco?

No thanks.....

When compared in relation to the current fleet size, then no, they're not. I'm using numbers the compnay provides, by the way.
I know you are but you are not working the whole problem. But even with your simple MEL to Fleet equation, the MEL count is lower. You said it yourself there is a 25% reduction in fleet size and only a 15% reduction in flights. When we took over the MEL count was around six hundred and eighty. Now it probably averages two-twenty maybe two-thirty. That is over a two-thirds reduction in the MEL count.

When we took over the MEL count was around six hundred and eighty. Now it probably averages two-twenty maybe two-thirty. That is over a two-thirds reduction in the MEL count.

In the days leading up to the strike, there were several instances in my station where MC would *not* let the AMT's do the repairs required, and instead forced them to MEL them. I imagine this was not specific to where I was, and speaks to a very insulting mistrust between the two groups.

By the way, after the '98 pilot strike, the flight crews returned to a fleet with an MEL count of zero.....

For example a four hour minimum pay

You must think you work in a union shop? You want a minimum of 4 hours pay for evaluating a tire and signing it off in the logbook? Being a realist and looking at your situation I see it happening more like this....the company scans the nov rev list and see's a mechanic is on board and the word goes out "Sign it off or walk home"!!!! :up:

:lol: There is always that possibility. Like I said though NWA is dealing with a different breed of mechanics here. That would not go over very well with any Scab.
Won't go over well with any scab? What? Didn't you state that "we now work closely with management"?

You will do as your master demands SUPERscab, and you will lick the boots of your master until they are clean.

PlaytheCods.....Nothing but a scab pawn, with no life, except this board. Pity.

:ph34r:

I know you are but you are not working the whole problem. But even with your simple MEL to Fleet equation, the MEL count is lower. You said it yourself there is a 25% reduction in fleet size and only a 15% reduction in flights. When we took over the MEL count was around six hundred and eighty. Now it probably averages two-twenty maybe two-thirty. That is over a two-thirds reduction in the MEL count.
well if the MEL count is down, then I suppose the tape use is up.

You must think you work in a union shop? You want a minimum of 4 hours pay for evaluating a tire and signing it off in the logbook? Being a realist and looking at your situation I see it happening more like this....the company scans the nov rev list and see's a mechanic is on board and the word goes out "Sign it off or walk home"!!!! :up:
I have on many occasions been asked to assist in a maint. problem while flying non-rev, both for NWA, and other airlines. The only time I refuse is if I had already embibed in an adult beverage. I would have a hard time sitting and doing nothing knowing that the plans of a hundred or so innocent travelers were scrapped because I played the "Its not my job, I'm not on duty" card.

I guess they are just lucky to have you on their team! I'm sure you will be rewarded in the coming months!!! Get ready for round 2 :up:

One question I do have, when boarding the flight do you announce that you are a mechanic and work for NWA? I did not realize the standby list includes what your position is with the company.

I guess they are just lucky to have you on their team! I'm sure you will be rewarded in the coming months!!! Get ready for round 2 :up:

One question I do have, when boarding the flight do you announce that you are a mechanic and work for NWA? I did not realize the standby list includes what your position is with the company.
I don't do it for any "reward", I do it because its the right thing to do.

No and no. I think that if they are going to run such a lean maintenance program that they should be able to track their non-reving mechanics. Two days ago there were four mechanics non-reving on the same flight to MEM in MEM we then boarded went to four different destinations. At least two thirds of NWA's maintenance force is commuting. So on any given day there is a substantial work force non-reving, I just think that it is something they should consider doing.