DL Launches RDU-LAX Nonstop

Flying Titan

Veteran
Oct 14, 2003
DELTA PRESS RELEASE
Delta Introduces Only Non-Stop Service between Raleigh/Durham, Los Angeles

New route connects important East Coast-West Coast business destinations

RALEIGH, N.C., Jan 25, 2006 – This summer Delta Air Lines’ customers in central North Carolina will be able to jet nonstop to the West Coast to take care of business or to take in the sun and surf of Southern California. Effective June 8, Delta will begin the only non-stop service between Raleigh/Durham International Airport and Los Angeles International Airport, with one roundtrip flight operated with the 150-seat Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

“In 2006 Delta is continuing to aggressively transform its network, especially expanding into new or underserved routes where our customers want to visit or do business,†said Bob Cortelyou, Delta’s vice president of Network Planning. “Connecting one of the strongest economic centers in North Carolina – the state’s capital of Raleigh and its surrounding communities -- and one of the world’s largest business, financial and tourist destinations of Los Angeles and Southern California is a natural opportunity to better serve our customers on both coasts.â€

This is a real surprise. Is there really enough traffic on this route to warrant this, especially from a market so close to its ATL hub? Is this the start of a new tactic by DL?

You bet there is. This place is silicon valley East. It's also big banking and big pharma. And, the triangle area is full of big vacationers who want to get to fiji quicker. Not to mention that the triangle area has more medallion level frequent fliers per capita than anywhere else and that 90% of our citezens are "from somewhere else" and fly home for the holidays. There will be more west coast flights before year end.

OK. I know the whole "Research Triangle" thing...but what does that have to do w/ SoCal? If that's what's driving this, then why not SFO or SJC? As for extensive connections to exotic places, isn't that why we're always reading about beefed-up int'l destinations from ATL?

This is not a swipe at RDU. I'm just curious whether this is an isolated case or a signal of a new direction for DL and, if so, where it will ultimately lead.

OK. I know the whole "Research Triangle" thing...but what does that have to do w/ SoCal? If that's what's driving this, then why not SFO or SJC? As for extensive connections to exotic places, isn't that why we're always reading about beefed-up int'l destinations from ATL?

This is not a swipe at RDU. I'm just curious whether this is an isolated case or a signal of a new direction for DL and, if so, where it will ultimately lead.

DL has been doing point to points for some time. In fact...more of their network is point to point than any other hub and spoke carrier. And yes...RDU can handle it. WN and AA have direct flights...in fact...AA's is on 76's (used to be 777's). Midway used to fly the route as well and FWIU, did very well. RDU is much more business than you would think. Aside from the business, you have some prominent schools there in UNC and Duke that drive alot of traffic.

I thought they had spent the last few years doing away with a lot of their point to point routes?

Most of their reductions have been in re-aligning hub routes from CVG and ATL. "Trimming the fat" so to speak.

That's a good question. My guess would be to connect faster to international flights. We have a lot of R&D companies here that manufacture in asia such as Lenovo who bought out IBM's PC business. Plus, a lot of business is conducted in L.A. It's also a good mid point for meetings rather that flying all the way to asia or vice versa. SJC & SFO, not so much.