Does It Only Bother Me......?

songbirdstew

Senior
Sep 10, 2003
Am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that a letter was used against Teddy Xidas that was personal correspondance between herself and Jerry Glass ? wheteher it was right or wrong is no longer the issue.

Teddy has resigned and there is nothing we can do about it. The main reason for Teddy's resignation was due to a letter that was produced by Philadelphia Flight Attendant Teri Graf, who is also on Philadelphia's LEC AFA union board.

The letter that Ms. Graf had was from Teddy's personal file. I was under the impression that only upper management has access to each employees' file.

My questions are these. Is my personal file safe from other employees ? Is it company policy to let a breach of privacy/security go on like this ? How was Teri Graf able to get a letter from Jerry Glass to Teddy and make it available to other union officers ?

The National Privacy Act states that "No agency shall disclose any record which is contained in a system of records by any means of communication to any person, or to another agency, except pursuant to a written request by, or with the prior written consent of, the individual to whom the record pertains."

I have contacted AFA national president Pat Friend and asked for an investigation. She doesn't seem to think this is any big deal.

I e-mailed Jerry Glass, Sherry Hendry, Doug Parker and Jeff McClelland with my concerns....guess what. Noone from US said that they will look in to it....surprise, surprise !

However, the COO for AWA, Jeff McClelland did respond and told me he would look in to it~~ which greatly impressed me.

I believe Teddy's privacy has been invaded and out of concern for my own privacy rights, I want a complete investigation. From what I understand, Ms. Graf will not explain how the letter came in to her possession. I believe that our Human Resources department should demand answers regarding this issue.
This is of great concern to me.

So, I ask again.....am I being overly concerned ? Personal file security like this just doesn't affect the F/A group...it affects everyone. Thoughts ???

Number 1: You assume that correspondence of that nature was in an employee's personnel file; highly unlikely. The letter was a "give me" and you don't know it was in her file, so why do you assume that it was?

Number 2: If this revelation had been about someone you do not support, I bet you wouldn't be so concerned about that individual's privacy.

You make it sound like any shady deal someone manages to get from managment should be a secret. Why? If it had not been made public, then a certain employee would have been granted a privilege that employee was not entitled to. Is that fair? Is that ok?

I don't think so. This isn't about a letter getting out. This is about an individual not responding appropriately to that letter.

Bottom line for me is that if you don't address a problem when it surfaces (back in April), then you end up suffering the consequences.

In response to number 2---you bet I would be concerned even if I did not support that person. This is about what is right and wrong.

Management tries to make shady deals all the time. They tried this time and she ignored it. From what I understand, there is a form that she should have filled out regarding the type of offer the company made to her.

I have to ask myself. Why is there even such a form ? Because mgmt. routinely tries to dangle carrots in front of union officials faces or because past practice has been for union officials to take the bait---especially at AFA.

The bottom line is that this was personal correspondance between Jerry Glass and Teddy. Was it in her file, was it in his desk ? No one seems to know. It was faxed from an "anonymous" fax machine in Crystal City. Management should be trying to find out who leaked it, AFA should be doing the same to protect other member's privacy.

songbirdstew said:
The bottom line is that this was personal correspondance between Jerry Glass and Teddy. Was it in her file, was it in his desk ? No one seems to know. It was faxed from an "anonymous" fax machine in Crystal City. Management should be trying to find out who leaked it, AFA should be doing the same to protect other member's privacy.
[post="292708"][/post]​

The real problem is that there are no rules in CCY. Everyone does as they please and there is no real accountability. US employees know it... we customers know it too.

Teddy has peed in their pool more times than they can count... they (remember, we don't know who faxed this yet) have finally found a way to get back at her that succeeded with signifigant damage being done in their favor.

songbirdstew said:
In response to number 2---you bet I would be concerned even if I did not support that person. This is about what is right and wrong.

Management tries to make shady deals all the time. They tried this time and she ignored it. From what I understand, there is a form that she should have filled out regarding the type of offer the company made to her.

I have to ask myself. Why is there even such a form ? Because mgmt. routinely tries to dangle carrots in front of union officials faces or because past practice has been for union officials to take the bait---especially at AFA.

[post="292708"][/post]​

Do you really believe there is a form? Get real. . .another lie from those who want you to believe she did nothing wrong.

It doesn't make it right because a "dopey" customer knows about it. . .bottom line is no employee should be offered something that isn't available to all employees in the group represented by the specific collective bargaining unit.

And I don't have any LEC associates. . .but since you knew about it, why didn't you make it public way back then?

While Teddy did not disclose this to the current MEC -they were not in office at the time the proffer was made - I understand she did disclose it to the MEC at the time.

Should be simple to clear up with a few phone calls.

So, now I really fail to see the big deal.

Management, from supervisors right on up to the veeps, try to trade goodies for fealty all the time. I wonder what they offered this MEC to kick Teddy out?

And if so, shouldn't the MEC disclose it? :shock:

I think the memberhip should DEMAND to know of all contacts between this MEC and management. Sauce for the goose, yes?

songbirdstew said:
However, the COO for AWA, Jeff McClelland did respond and told me he would look in to it~~ which greatly impressed me.
[post="292699"][/post]​

This is a great concern to me and I made no bones about it. WhatEVER the content of the letter, reason behind the letter or motivation of the union, there IS a political game that has no room at US right now.
As far as Jeff McClelland, I don't believe there is ANYTHING he can do right now. That would be like going to Herb at SW and him getting involved. AWA has nothing to do with what is going on here at US.
I support any action, petitions you start circulating as far as a recall of Graff and company. Let us know what we can do.

diogenes said:
While Teddy did not disclose this to the current MEC -they were not in office at the time the proffer was made - I understand she did disclose it to the MEC at the time.

Should be simple to clear up with a few phone calls.

So, now I really fail to see the big deal.

Management, from supervisors right on up to the veeps, try to trade goodies for fealty all the time. I wonder what they offered this MEC to kick Teddy out?

And if so, shouldn't the MEC disclose it? :shock:

I think the memberhip should DEMAND to know of all contacts between this MEC and management. Sauce for the goose, yes?
[post="292743"][/post]​

I think your info is incorrect. . .she DID NOT disclose it to the MEC at the time.

PineyBob said:
Because I'm a teeny tiny bit brighter than you! It was clearly a typical "Heads I win, Tails you lose" Jerry Glass manuever.

If Teddy takes the deal, he makes it public, shouting to the rooftops that "your leaders can be bought"

If She keeps it quiet Jerry "Leaks" the information and you have what you have now.

Either way the flight attendents lose by falling into his trap. He found out he couldn't bully Teddy so he had to get folks from within to do his bidding. I've no doubt that he sent some of the "Devil's Hand Maidens" like Lime Boy, and Hawk/IndiGo to do his bidding and plant the seeds of disent which found fertile ground as we all can see.

This is not meant to imply that the LEC 3 were in colussion, because it is just as likely that the were't. What they are and were is inexperienced in the ways of a treacherous "Win at all Cost" guy like Jerry Glass. So let's see how big a reaming you get as things progress.
[post="292754"][/post]​

No question. . .Jerry is a snake, but since Teddy always has known what a snake he is and openly professed it, all the more reason she should have immediately made the offer public back in April. Two wrongs don't make a right and since she didn't make it public, it makes it look bad. Do I think she was going to take it? Don't know, but had she been the first to make it public back in April, there would have been no questiona and maybe, just maybe, Jerry would have been gone.

You can defend her actions all you want. And I can disagree with her actions.

just a flight attendant said:
No question. . .Jerry is a snake, but since Teddy always has known what a snake he is and openly professed it, all the more reason she should have immediately made the offer public back in April. Two wrongs don't make a right and since she didn't make it public, it makes it look bad. Do I think she was going to take it? Don't know, but had she been the first to make it public back in April, there would have been no questiona and maybe, just maybe, Jerry would have been gone.

You can defend her actions all you want. And I can disagree with her actions.
[post="292775"][/post]​

One more thing. . .be wary of anyone who proclaims how "bright" they are. . .usually, they are the only one who thinks they are bright.

This is only somewhat related to the topic--but I saw Sherry Hendry's name mentioned the original post; I worked with her at Legend Airlines. I take it she's US Managment? What is her position? What are the employees thoughts on her as a manager with US?

PineyBob said:
Can't win a debate on merit, attack the debater. HMMM Right out of the Chris Chiames, Linda Daschle, Democrat playbook.
[post="292787"][/post]​

I've been supporting your stance and your intelligent comments on this topic thus far, Piney. But you lost me with the anti-Democrat slam. While ALL politics can be nasty, if you want to talk about "attacking the debater," the current Republican regime wrote the book!! No Democrat could hold a candle to the Rove/Bush team where that type of low-blow politics is concerned. I think you've got the wrong party's playbook.

just a flight attendant said:
Number 2: If this revelation had been about someone you do not support, I bet you wouldn't be so concerned about that individual's privacy.

[post="292702"][/post]​

That is quite a revealing revelation, jafa.

Soooo, if you supported Teddy, the tone of your posts would be different?

Regardless of the facts?

Interesting.

Back