Does Size Matter?

777 fixer said:
If AA wants an aircraft with more seats it makes more sesne to order the 777-300 than it does the A380.  Having the -300 would mean minimal investemnt in regards to crew training and maintenance.  The A380 on the other hand would mean huge investemtns in training, maintenance and infrastructure.  Besides it's already been proven that AA can do just fine without 747/A380 size aircraft.
[post="240229"][/post]​

I agree that we do not need another fleet type.[Espicially another Airbus fleet]

It'll make a great Hadj airplane. The Saudi's will be able to pack probably 700 of 'em in the airplane . . . . along with sterno stoves, fresh food to cook onboard, grandpa Mohammed that dies inflight, etc, etc.

Can't wait to see 600 people hit customs all at once at JFK.

I hope the French wind up eating that airplane when they can't sell enough to break even . . . . oh, I forgot, I'll make money no matter how many they sell.

Crapdog said:
Lets all volunteer a $5.00 an hour cut in pay till the year 2035 so we can get one. :D
[post="240274"][/post]​

Another Relief effort is coming to an AA city near you soon.
Mr.Arpey will require a $ 5.00 per/hour mandatory contribution for the AA Relief Effort.

Maybe by the year 2525 someone will have fixed AA and turned it into a PROFITABLE airline. Just MAYBE!

Crapdog said:
Lets all volunteer a $5.00 an hour cut in pay till the year 2035 so we can get one. :D
[post="240274"][/post]​

Another Relief effort is coming to an AA city near you soon.
Mr.Arpey will require a $ 5.00 per/hour mandatory contribution for the AA Relief Effort.

Maybe by the year 2525 someone will have fixed AA and turned it into a PROFITABLE airline. Just MAYBE!

Sorry for the Double Post.My mistake.

Former ModerAAtor said:
This is the same reason we dumped the 737-200/300's, 717s, MD90s and the MD87's. Each type made sense for a few markets, but we could serve the same markets with other types and have higher utilization without incurring all the fleet specific costs.

Don't forget the BAe-146s! SNA or no SNA, I'm sure AirCal was kicking themselves even before the merger for ever taking those pieces of British crap (redundant).
:p

mga707 said:
Don't forget the BAe-146s! SNA or no SNA, I'm sure AirCal was kicking themselves even before the merger for ever taking those pieces of British crap (redundant).
:p
[post="240287"][/post]​

Glad to see you're still lurking around... I thought about the "Bring Another Engine", but then again, we pretty much dropped all the routes that were flown with them....

773's would be a more logical pick, but after all the money we've spent moving towards a single fleet type on both the 772's and 763's, we'd almost be better off taking F off the 772's and going to a higher density C/Y configuration than we'd be by adding a new fleet type.

AA has plenty of excess capacity on its 772s in the current configuration. Rather than sell bunches netsAAvers on each LRH flight, yield management can simply cause fewer cheapo fares to be sold on each flight if demand picks up. No need to fly larger airplanes or pack them in any tighter. Better to fly fewer people on higher fares than more people on lower fares. Exactly the mindset that has kept the 744s away.

Former ModerAAtor said:
Glad to see you're still lurking around... I thought about the "Bring Another Engine", but then again, we pretty much dropped all the routes that were flown with them....

773's would be a more logical pick, but after all the money we've spent moving towards a single fleet type on both the 772's and 763's, we'd almost be better off taking F off the 772's and going to a higher density C/Y configuration than we'd be by adding a new fleet type.
[post="240292"][/post]​

AA is in the process of removing a row from business class and adding two rows of coach seats on thier 777. However I cannot see them removing first class and going to a two class configuration. Reason being is that on international routes AA is competing with airlines like Air France, Lufthansa, British Airways, Virgin, JAL, ANA etc. All of which have top notch first class products. I'm afraid this would casue some passengers to jump ship to these carriers.

lpbrian said:
Actually, there are a few routes in the AA system where this airplane may make sense. Routes that have back-to-back 777 flights; JFK-LHR, ORD-LHR, LAX-LHR, MIA-GRU, DFW-NRT, etc. Substitute an A380 for 2 777 flights and you free up 2 777's and a valuble landing slot. May not be cost effective, but not out of the question either.
[post="240118"][/post]​

As a customer and business traveler, I would rather have the 2 777 option and more frequency

777 fixer said:
AA is in the process of removing a row from business class and adding two rows of coach seats on thier 777. However I cannot see them removing first class and going to a two class configuration. Reason being is that on international routes AA is competing with airlines like Air France, Lufthansa, British Airways, Virgin, JAL, ANA etc. All of which have top notch first class products. I'm afraid this would casue some passengers to jump ship to these carriers.
[post="240444"][/post]​

I agree, but I think that AA is adding only ONE row of coach to about half the 777 fleet (those already featuring the Flagship Suites in F).

On about half the 777s, the conversion of the F coffins to the Flagship Suite will cost two F seats (from 18 down to 16) plus a row of Business. And two rows of coach will be added, as the FS version of the 777 has already featured more coach rows than the Coffin equipped planes.

From the impression I have from Flight Service, they aren't changing the F/C cabin at all. They will retain whatever type of seat they currently have. Business Class will all be the same at 35 seats. Coach will be receiving 2 more rows of seats to the planes that are losing a row of business. AND on top of that, ALL 777's will receive one more row of coach seats for the LRTC reconfiguration. So in all reality, we will still have 2 different types of 777's. The only difference being 18 or 16 F/C seats. With them flying international, the selling of the seats won't be too big of a problem with them also being used for pilot crew rest. Personally, I wish they all had 42 B/C seats and just one more row of coach. But, I am sure that would mean one more F/A.

IORFA said:
From the impression I have from Flight Service, they aren't changing the F/C cabin at all. They will retain whatever type of seat they currently have. Business Class will all be the same at 35 seats. Coach will be receiving 2 more rows of seats to the planes that are losing a row of business. AND on top of that, ALL 777's will receive one more row of coach seats for the LRTC reconfiguration. So in all reality, we will still have 2 different types of 777's. The only difference being 18 or 16 F/C seats. With them flying international, the selling of the seats won't be too big of a problem with them also being used for pilot crew rest. Personally, I wish they all had 42 B/C seats and just one more row of coach. But, I am sure that would mean one more F/A.
[post="240747"][/post]​

Your sources may well be correct. Despite coy hints from AA for a couple of years now about standardizing the F cabins of AA's 777s to the FS, I have doubted it would happen because of the expense. Laurie Curtis even repeated it during the November conference. I haven't listed to yesterday's conference call yet to see if it was mentioned again.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to BA and AF, and even SIA, when all those 380's start transiting europe-asia via Abu Dhabi and Bharain...could cause some big yield issues. Isn't Emirates ove a third of the order book for the passenger version? And the infra. issue at some airports isn't trivial--I wonder if they can even land at SFO?

Whadayano said:
It's going to be interesting to see what happens to BA and AF, and even SIA, when all those 380's start transiting europe-asia via Abu Dhabi and Bharain...could cause some big yield issues. Isn't Emirates ove a third of the order book for the passenger version? And the infra. issue at some airports isn't trivial--I wonder if they can even land at SFO?
[post="240847"][/post]​

Fortunately for AF, BA, and SIA, there's a certain percentage of customers who won't consider transiting via the Gulf these days, regardless of the fare difference. Even though they get great service rankings, that includes Emirates.

Personally, I think the AirPig is another Concorde -- Airbus built it as a prestige aircraft to one-up Boeing, and not because there was a huge market for it. If more than 120 wind up in passenger operation, I'll be shocked.

Back