DOT decision on AA/BA

damajagua

Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
So Monday it was JAL; today the Delta-US Airways swap slot; tomorrow Haneda applications are due; and Thursday?

Both Wall Street Journal and Dow Jones are now reporting - buried in other articles - that DOT is expected to rule on BA/AA/IB this week.

Quote:
The Transportation Department is expected this week to decide whether to grant long-sought antitrust approval for transatlantic flights to the Oneworld global airline alliance, including British Airways and American Airlines, a unit of AMR Corp. (AMR). The U.S. Department of Justice offered an opinion that giving antitrust approval, which would allow the airlines to form closer business relationships, would hamper competition and be harmful to consumers.

Approval is a given, but how much freedom the alliance is given is a question mark.

Another win for the AA management team that will go unrecognized?

The full decision is available at:
http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/hom...900006480a9285f

Newsweak's writeup may be a bit misleading. DOT is requiring that four slot pairs timed for transatlantic ops be surrendered to other carriers who want to operate services between the US and UK -- two pairs specifically for BOS-LHR, and two "flex" pairs that could be anywhere. They don't specifically say the slots have to be given up equally from AA & BA, and they don't say they have to be slots currently used for transatlantic ops.

On the first read, there's nothing I see preventing BA from providing all four of the slot pairs and pulling them from non-US markets that can afford to drop a couple frequencies.

Another win for the AA management team that will go unrecognized?

The full decision is available at:
http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/hom...900006480a9285f

Newsweak's writeup may be a bit misleading. DOT is requiring that four slot pairs timed for transatlantic ops be surrendered to other carriers who want to operate services between the US and UK -- two pairs specifically for BOS-LHR, and two "flex" pairs that could be anywhere. They don't specifically say the slots have to be given up equally from AA & BA, and they don't say they have to be slots currently used for transatlantic ops.

On the first read, there's nothing I see preventing BA from providing all four of the slot pairs and pulling them from non-US markets that can afford to drop a couple frequencies.

Respectfully Eric, the "unrecognized management team" was doing what they get well paid to do...their jobs.

I have to hand to the Centreport gang, they did well, snow notwithstanding ..Perhaps they will now take care of their employees. This changes a lot of things, including equipment. These agreements often result in equipment upgauges between hubs. I think AA should seriously think about 747-8's. Crandall did a stupid thing in ordering MD-11's instead of 747-400's. It's about time AA grow up and add 747'8's to its fleet. There are plenty of suitable routes: ORD-LHR, DFW-NRT, MIA-EZE, etc.

I have to hand to the Centreport gang, they did well, snow notwithstanding ..Perhaps they will now take care of their employees. This changes a lot of things, including equipment. These agreements often result in equipment upgauges between hubs. I think AA should seriously think about 747-8's. Crandall did a stupid thing in ordering MD-11's instead of 747-400's. It's about time AA grow up and add 747'8's to its fleet. There are plenty of suitable routes: ORD-LHR, DFW-NRT, MIA-EZE, etc.

Or at least the 777-300s.

But with this decision, I think the EU might have different opinions on it.

I I think AA should seriously think about 747-8's. Crandall did a stupid thing in ordering MD-11's instead of 747-400's. It's about time AA grow up and add 747'8's to its fleet. There are plenty of suitable routes: ORD-LHR, DFW-NRT, MIA-EZE, etc.

If AA really needs a larger aircraft for those sort of routes order the 777-300ER. The 747-8 would give AA not much of an advantage and would just mean another fleet type. Heck, only two airlines have ordered the passenger version.

The 777-300 is not that much bigger than a 777-200. Besides, the 777-300 comes only with a GE90 engine, now outdated, as is the 777. The 747-8 comes with a GENX engine, as does the 787. I think AA's future resides with the stretch version of the 787 and some 747-8's.

The 777-300 is not that much bigger than a 777-200. Besides, the 777-300 comes only with a GE90 engine, now outdated, as is the 777. The 747-8 comes with a GENX engine, as does the 787. I think AA's future resides with the stretch version of the 787 and some 747-8's.

I said 777-300 because I think it is the only option for AA as you probably will not see AA fly any 4 engine aircraft again. Larger aircraft equals more maintenance, more staffing in the cabin and on the ground, etc.

I would like to see the document where it states 2 pairs will go from BOS? Let's see.... AA will be operating 3 LHR's this summer. BA will have 2 or 3. I wonder where the cuts will come from? I hope not from us on BOS. We have shrunk enough already...

Discussion on the logic for BOS starts at the bottom of page 22.

Again, I don't see anything requiring losing slots in the BOS market, but it wouldn't surprise me to see BOS and JFK sourcing those slots as a way to eliminate some of the overlapping schedules.