Douggie Cashes Out

I am sure his troops are going to run on the board to defend and spin the facts.

Look to see this crap in the newspaper PIT, wallstreet.com and CLT.

Guess he was a better negotiator. Now consider that he may have taken these options as compensation when America West went C11 a few years ago and now he is seeing a return on his investment in HP.

HP filed Chapter 11 way back in 1991. The Beauvais era. Almost certain that Doogie wasn't around way back then...

Bill Franke was CEO then.

Are you sure? I thought Ed Beauvais was CEO until just after the C11 filing, and was then replaced by Franke. I could be mistaken, though. Either way, the Chapter 11 ordeal was WAY before Doug came along, and a LOT further in the past than the "few years ago" that PB seems to think it was.

I have no problem with executives EARNING their compensation and I believe Doug Parker has. He didn't have to write a letter explaining this in detail to employees...BUT HE DID and I commend his honesty and sincerity.

Chapter 11 happened during Beauvais/Conway time. I remember it well as I was there.

Ed got the boot, Franke was brought in, and fought it out with Conway for a while, then Conway was booted, Goodmanson was brought in, he did nothing, and got the boot and Franke ran the show till he left.

I have no problem with executives EARNING their compensation and I believe Doug Parker has. He didn't have to write a letter explaining this in detail to employees...BUT HE DID and I commend his honesty and sincerity.

Yea, just like someone who robs a bank and gives the complete details to the public how he did it and that he's responsible.

Very commendable, indeed.

Dougie has been honest with the labor groups too when it comes to their compensation..."cost neutral". Period.

mga,

I'm not sure. I know that Dougie became CEO in 2001 and Franke CEO somewhere post AWA BK.
DP became CEO very shortly before 9/11/2001. The AWA Bankruptcy was in 1991/1992. So yes, Franke was post BK.

And yes, I'm on the west but I read the words that I bolded differently and no, I don't know squat about all that corporate "granting" of stock. I do know that I added rather significantly to my 401K with AWA stock and continue to do so with the new stock. I hung in there while it was at the bottom and hope to "excercise" my options when the time is right for me.

I just wish that we still had the option to purchase company stock as a 401K option. IMO, they could've capped it at some level........just like it was capped with the AWA stock. Or better yet, employees be granted stock also.

Lastly, please understand that while these stock option exercises/sales will result in some meaningful cash payments to me, no cash comes from US Airways. These options were all granted to me over the past ten years and gave me the right to purchase the then AWA stock at the exact price that it was selling for that day. They only have value because the stock is worth more today than when the options were granted, and the cash comes from the buyers of the stock at today's higher market prices. While many of our competitors (including the old US Airways) filed bankruptcy over the past ten years, wiping out the value of all equity and creating significant turmoil for their employees, AWA was able to avoid such a fate, which was in all of our constituents' best interest. I am hopeful that equity grants in the new US Airways will have a similar increase in value over the coming years, because that would mean we have all done our job to build an airline that can survive and thrive even in difficult times.

"Back in the day", AWA employees HAD to buy stock as a condition of employment. There are many still with a bad taste in their mouth from that.

The whining here is nothing more than paycheck envy.

CEOs have always made more money than their grunts. In many cases, LOTS more money. Always have, always will.

I feel bad for the grunts who lost their pensions and took massive paycuts that enabled this CEO's stock options to make him very wealthy. But that's the way the world works.

Of course, he could be like Wolf who took his off the top while his ill-conceived plans (as if he had any other kind) were strangling the golden (actually grey and blue)goose.