Drink Ticket Books

When I was hired at Piedmont we did use ticket books. At that time alcoholic beverages cost $2.50 each. The ticket books cost $15.00 for 10 tickets which came out to $1.50 per drink-----a one dollar savings/10 dollars per book. It was a very popular concept for the customer. However, some employees chose to ruin this by purchasing the ticket books themselves, taking the $2.50 cash from the customer and substituting a ticket that cost them $1.50. The profit was ten bucks for each book the employee bought. Quite a few people got fired when the scam came to light. Some people may not be able to resist the temptation to try to make up for the pay cuts of the last two bankruptcies.....
I'm all for ticket books but don't make them discount tickets.....just make them the price that is set...or even better don't charge for drinks at all. At the meeting in PHL Travis Christ said he is sure others will follow suit to be in line with our changes....I don't see them doing it. It's an embarrassing decision that should be rescinded.
I think the Drink Coupon idea is great, but let them purchase the coupon with there boarding pass. There should not be a buy on board coupon, because we run out of food all the time. Just drinks and headsets. We use to have major problems at America West, specifically gate agents and fleet workers that use to non-rev and hand over a bunch of coupons for free drinks/headsets ALL the time. Like the fa's don't know they were stolen and handed out?? :rolleyes: I just played the game, and said you must of had a horrible delay on your last trip, eh?? :lol: But, coupons do open doors for more trouble than good. Cashless all the way, please!! :up:

I understand that many flight attendants are resistant to change. If the company is going to charge for drinks then they are going to do it. NOTHING we say will change their minds and they seem to believe others will follow which I honestly DO NOT see. I know I can sound defiant on certain subjects or downright a downer about an issue but I'm sorry this sales of non alcoholic beverages will NOT fly with the majority of f/a's unless the company waits to have a cashless system in place. If YOU (the company) expect this to work you MUST implement the sales system once the cashless handheld units are in place and not a DAY before. I don't care how desperate you find the need to sell. The union doesn't back it and neither do a large majority of flight attendants. NOPE! ! ! ! :down:

Ok, i have an even simpler idea. Sell the drink at the time of purchase and print out the coupon on the boarding pass... example...

At the checkout online...

Your total is $500.00
Add a soft drink on your flight for $2.00 _____
Add a snack on your flight for $5.00 _____

You could also sell the "coupon book" at the checkout...
Buy a soft drink coupon book $10.00 ____ (will print out when you print your boarding pass)

Would even save printing costs. Make the kiosk print a bunch of coupons, or have the coupons print out with the boarding pass...

I honestly dont think anyone is going to make a business out of counterfeiting coupons for soft drinks on an airline...
That will happen but the technology and back end processing is still being built.

I understand that many flight attendants are resistant to change. If the company is going to charge for drinks then they are going to do it. NOTHING we say will change their minds and they seem to believe others will follow which I honestly DO NOT see. I know I can sound defiant on certain subjects or downright a downer about an issue but I'm sorry this sales of non alcoholic beverages will NOT fly with the majority of f/a's unless the company waits to have a cashless system in place. If YOU (the company) expect this to work you MUST implement the sales system once the cashless handheld units are in place and not a DAY before. I don't care how desperate you find the need to sell. The union doesn't back it and neither do a large majority of flight attendants. NOPE! ! ! ! :down:

Even if we had a cashless system in place, I think it would be far too time consuming for most of our flights.

Nope. Not going to fly.

Here's an interesting idea that the old Winston-Salem based Piedmont used in the 1980's (for cocktails) that may make charging for all drinks a bit more palatable.

Issue ticket books that can be purchased online or at the ticket counter for use in purchasing soft drinks, cocktails or headsets.

-- Book of 10: $16.00

-- Book of 20: $30.00

-- Single drink tickets for $1.65

-- All drink ticket sales NON-REFUNDABLE.

-- One ticket per soft drink; four tickets per alcoholic beverage; two tickets for headsets.

Even with the discounted prices the profit margin for the product is incredible. It also takes some of the burden from the flight attendants who won't have to worry about making change so often. Customers can prepay at the ticket counter with their credit card, or online with CC or PayPal. It will be a larger up-front infusion of cash. Customers will likely have leftover tickets that will either: 1.) go unused (free money), or 2.) encourage them to book again on US Airways to use up their supply.

Wow.... blast from the past...

I totaly forgot about those coupon books....

they were a great idea....
lets do that again....
cuz this selling thing is going to get out of hand...

Would you like to supersize that??? :eek:

Wow.... blast from the past...

I totaly forgot about those coupon books....

they were a great idea....
lets do that again....
cuz this selling thing is going to get out of hand...

Would you like to supersize that??? :eek:
PS...

today I got $5.00 in change for a drink...

the poor woman gave me.....

all dimes and pennys......
for a five dollar vodka....

OH MY...

what are we going to do when this starts???? :shock:

I see an excellent cross-promotional opportunity in favor of onboard small change expenditures: FA's can start wearing US-branded fanny packs to make small change. At the same time, they can hawk the US-branded fanny packs (for customers to wear inflight, to keep their small change handy) while they are making their credit card pitches.

Was that someone who read Longing4Piedmont’s idea about paying for everything with pennies?

I swear to God, if I should find myself on another US flight...and I will at some point....I swear on everything, I will pay for a coke with 4 rolls of pennies, just to do it. And I will take them out of the wrappers and count them out.

If only that genius Sand Flea TC could be there when I do it....