EMB-170 Program Update - Likely New MDA Aircraft

10.gif'] So the real question now is....what the new MDA paint job will look like......

Gilburtguy, the real question is: how many mainline employee's will be forced to go over to Mid Atlantic. Maybe Chip can fill us in with the details and salary grades for the various employee position's....starting with his own.

Itrade:

Itrade asked: Chip, I noticed that under the firm orders for the -170, GECAS has about 50 on order. Are these already leased out to other airlines, or did GECAS do a speculative order?

Chip answers: GECAS has 50 firm orders and 78 options for the EMB-170, but to my knowldege the financer does not have a firm customer, at least one not publicly announced.

On August 8 Dave Siegel told me GECAS has agreed to finance US RJs; therfore, I presume that some or all of the GECAS inital 50 orders and possibly 78 options for the EMB-170's/175s could be headed to US, starting in March 2003.

Chip

The other thing which has to be figured out is where to put RJs once they're acquired, signed on. Since I'm pretty confident the first RJs will be Midway or Mesa CRJ/ERJs, you need to place them with the greatest need.

Given DL's attempt of a DCA incursion, I would place a good number at DCA. I would think the following cities would/should see reintroduction of jet service (through RJs):

ALB, BNA, CHS, BUF, MHT, RDU, ROC, and SYR. I would add RJs from DCA to CAE, DAY, PWM, and add an extra flight to JAX.

Itrade said, I'm pretty confident the first RJs will be Midway or Mesa CRJ/ERJs

Midway...perhaps, but not Mesa.

As a matter of fact Mesa, Chautauqua, Trans-States etc.. will not fly one additional RJ in US Airways colors.

There are only 3 airlines who have agreed to the Jetsforjobs protocols as of today.

1. Midatlantic - By definition. Not in operation.
2. Midway - Not currently in operation. Expected 11/02.
3. PSA Airlines - Currently operates 27 Dornier 328s. Awaiting firm jet-orders.

As a reminder ONLY those companies who participate in Jetsforjobs will be invited to fly RJs in US Airways livery. The company now has the approval to fly in excess of 465 small-jets.

* - The 70 already flown by Chautauqua, Trans-States, and Mesa are grandfathered.

* - The next 70 medium SJs may be placed at any participating wholly-owned or affiliate carrier.

* - Additional medium RJs will be placed at MDA except that additional RJs may be added at the other participating carriers provided that the aggregate number of additional RJs shall not exceed 150% of the number of medium RJs at MDA. 315 total med/large RJs.

* - Large RJs (51-70 seats / 75,000 lbs with exceptions made for the EMB170/175) may be flown only at MDA.

* - Small RJs (less than 44 seats) may be placed at any participating regional. 150 total.

[BR][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]Furloughedagain's information is taken from the Mainline ALPA ratified Restructuring Agreement and is accurate information.[/FONT][BR][BR][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]US Airways SJ definitions: [/FONT]
[UL]
[LI][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]Large SJs are defined as jet aircraft having a certificated seating capcity of 51-70 seats and a certificated maximum gross takeoff weight not greater tah n75,000 poiuns. In addition Large SJs include (a) the EMB-170 aircraft with a maximum certifcated seating capacity of 78 seats and a certificated maximum gross takeoff weight of 82,100 pounds and (B) the EMB-175 aircraft with a maximum seating capcity of 86 seats and a certifcated maximum gross takeoff weight not greater than 86,000 pounds, provided, however, that every such EMB-170 and EMB-175 aircraft will only be configured for operations with a seating capacity of no more than 76 seats. Any jet aircraft configured for operation with more than 76 seats or with a certifcated maximum gross takeoff weight greater tahn 86,000 pounds shall be operated by US Airways.[/FONT]
[LI][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]Medium SJs are small jets with a certificated seating capcity of no less than 45 seats and no more than 50 seats and a certificated maximum gross takeoff weight not greater than 65,000 pounds, except the CRJ-240/400 aircraft.[/FONT]
[LI][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]Small SJs aare defined as jet aircraft with a maximum seating capcity of 44 seats and a certificated maximum gross takeoff weight of 46,6000 pounds. In addition, Small SJs include the CRJ-240/400 aircraft with a maximum seating capacity of 50 seats and a certificated maximum gross takeoff weight of 53,000 pounds, provided, however, that every such CRJ-240/400 aircraft will only be configured for operation with a seating capcity of no more than 40 seats. Any CRJ-240/000 aircraft configured for more than 40 seats will be defined as a Medium SJ.[/FONT][/LI][/UL][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]SJ Authority[/FONT][BR]
[UL]
[LI][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]US Airways Express can operate up to 150 Small SJs.[/FONT]
[LI][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]In addition to the 150 Small SJs, US Airways Express is authorized to operate up to an aggregate of 315 Medium and Large SJs.[/FONT][/LI][/UL][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]Small Jet Placement:[/FONT][BR][BR][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]Large SJs can only be flown at MDA [/FONT][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]Small and Medium SJs can be flown at any particpating wholly owned or participating carrier.[/FONT][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]MidAltantic Airways has hired management personnel, is evaluating new aircraft and is preparing to begin operation. The September 16 US Airways Update said, The deployment of more RJs will be the next major wave to impacr US Airways' sceduling, said Andrew Nocella, vice president of planning and scheduling. Assuming the company emerges from Chapter 11 reorganization in the First Quarter of 2003, as it anticipates, more RJs will begin to appear early next year -- first among the contract carriers, then with MidAtlantic Airways and other wholly owned airlines.[/FONT][BR][BR][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]The deployment will accelerate rapidly in the fall of 2003, Nocella said, with an expected total of about 300 RJs in the system over the next three to four years. As the RJs come in, they will give us revenue pull that we don't have right now, he said.[/FONT][BR][BR][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]Speaking to the International Aviation Club in Washington on September 17 Dave Siegel reiterated MidAtlantic Airways would begin operation in the spring of 2003 and hinted that the operation will order regional jets from Embraer. According to Air Transport World, Although Siegel did not specify what type of RJs the airline plans to acquire, he did say he was taking a redeye to Brazil--home of Embraer--last night to discuss financing for a significant aircraft order.[/FONT][BR][BR][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]The GECAS website said the company has 50 firm orders and 78 options for the EMB-170, although it's unclear whether or not the lease company has placed any of the regional jets. [/FONT][BR][BR][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]In a September 17 press release Embraer said it had pushed the certification target date for the Embraer 170 aircraft back to the second quarter of 2003. The company said the number of Embraer 170 aircraft to be delivered in 2003 won't be affected. The total number of scheduled deliveries in 2003 for all Embraer models will remain unchanged at 145. The first production unit of the Embraer 170 is to be delivered to launch customer SWISS, of Switzerland, following certification in the second quarter.[/FONT][BR][BR][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]The EMB-175 development schedules remain as originally planned with certifications foreseen in the second quarter of 2004, the manufacturer said.[/FONT][BR][BR][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]On August 8 Siegel told me that GECAS has agreed to finance the new US Airways RJ expansion, although it was unclear to me whether or not this was a verbal or written agreement. It is unclear of the purpose of Siegel's trip to San Paulo, whether or not it's to work on aircraft specifications, a specific model delivery schedule, to sign an order, or a fact finding trip. [/FONT][BR][BR][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]Chip[/FONT][BR][BR]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/18/2002 4:02:30 PM Furloughedagain wrote:

Itrade said, "I'm pretty confident the first RJs will be Midway or Mesa CRJ/ERJs"

Midway...perhaps, but not Mesa.

As a matter of fact Mesa, Chautauqua, Trans-States etc.. will not fly one additional RJ in US Airways colors.

* - The 70 already flown by Chautauqua, Trans-States, and Mesa are grandfathered.

----------------
[/blockquote]
Unless I am mistaken there are not 70 jets operating under U colers yet. The last number I heard was considerably less. This would mean that the first jets delivered would probably go to Mesa. As I understand it until U reaches the 70 number the J4J does not take effect.

If someone has the current info please let us know. I am going off of info sent to me by Alpa, however furloughees are not kept in the loop very well.

Since the 170/175 is specifically covered in the ALPA agreement. Where does the 190/195 fit in. I must assume it would have to be considered mainline. Seems strange that US would fly crossover aircraft in different divisions. And if US is not considering the 190/195, why not? It seems to be the right size and a perfect compliment to its smaller brother.

Onthestreet said: Unless I am mistaken there are not 70 jets operating under U colers yet.

Chip comments: US has 70 affiliate carrier RJs currently operating in the system.

OldPSA said: Where does the 190/195 fit in. I must assume it would have to be considered mainline.

Chip comments: Old PSA, you are correct. I do not have my copy of the ALPA restructuring agreement in front of me, but if I remember correctly any seating configuration greater than 78 seats must be flown on the mainline, which would include the ERJ-190/195.

Chip