Engine Over Hauls

United has never overhauled the V2500. This was a big lie upper management gave the union a few years ago when they outsourced the JD9, JD8 engines. The cost to outsource was almost double what UAL paid for in house maintenance. They told the union that we outsourced these engines to make room for the Scare Bus V2500 as it was to be the engine of the future. All the work went to P&W. When this was done the V2500 was still outsourced. This was done by the general manager of the UAL engine shop. His name was Jim Keenan. Shortly after, Keenan left UAL and took a vice president job at P&W. Talk about Enron, this guy Keenan should be sharing a cell with Ken Lay. New UAL CEO Glen Tilton can't understand why mechanics are a little bitter and skeptical of UAL management.

We couldn't do the work even if we wanted to. There just are not enough bodies anymore. UAL has more PILOTS for 2 seat airplanes than they have mechanics. The writing is on the wall, we don't do maintenance anymore.

I can attest to the few bodies in MTC. It seems that every airplane I fly (757/767) has numerous DF items. These are not just cosmetics but DF items with operational impact. ADP's, Auto Spd Brk, APU's, etc. In the past I can not recall so many items. In fact last week I took the MRD from the pouch on a 757 and it stretched it out in the cabin to see how long it was. Granted it was on the narrow ACARS paper, but it still went from Row 1 to Row 5 (included all the MEL CARDS).

IMO, we have the best mechanics I have ever worked with. (5 airlines) The guys have never let me down or tried to force an airplane to service. They really treat them like they are flying in them. The DF items are a result of manpower and time since the aircraft are flying more hours versus in the past.