Engineering Degree Question

Student123

Sep 12, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have questions I couldn't answer by myself and I am looking for some help.

I am currently completing an engineer degree in my country and I may have the opportunity to get a second engineering degree (Msc) at a famous well ranked US University, so a US and better rated diploma. However, this means 25 000 $ of investment and an additional 6 months duration to the initial one for the "basic engineering degree".

I want to be an airline pilot, so to go to a flight school after engineering school, and I should have the money for the initial formation and maybe type rating, but it will be hard to get the money for "line training" (or "pay to fly" if I well understood), especially if taking the additional US engineering degree.

Two questions :

- Is line training necessary still nowadays to be able to expect an airline job in a reasonable time ? I know it's a questionable method but I read that many pilots had to go this way, and because I went through an engineer degree, I'll start aviation quite late compared to people starting at 18 (I'll be five years older at least).

- Is there any advantage to get the US well rated engineering degree in addition to the one known only in my country ? Do airlines care ? Or as long as they see "Engineer Degree" the rank of the university doesn't matter ?

I am ready to go anywhere in the world to fly an airliner, not only US or Canada.

Thanks in advance for your advice !

Hi everyone,

I have questions I couldn't answer by myself and I am looking for some help.

I am currently completing an engineer degree in my country and I may have the opportunity to get a second engineering degree (Msc) at a famous well ranked US University, so a US and better rated diploma. However, this means 25 000 $ of investment and an additional 6 months duration to the initial one for the "basic engineering degree".

I want to be an airline pilot, so to go to a flight school after engineering school, and I should have the money for the initial formation and maybe type rating, but it will be hard to get the money for "line training" (or "pay to fly" if I well understood), especially if taking the additional US engineering degree.

Two questions :

- Is line training necessary still nowadays to be able to expect an airline job in a reasonable time ? I know it's a questionable method but I read that many pilots had to go this way, and because I went through an engineer degree, I'll start aviation quite late compared to people starting at 18 (I'll be five years older at least).

- Is there any advantage to get the US well rated engineering degree in addition to the one known only in my country ? Do airlines care ? Or as long as they see "Engineer Degree" the rank of the university doesn't matter ?

I am ready to go anywhere in the world to fly an airliner, not only US or Canada.

Thanks in advance for your advice !

I would be very skeptical of any Masters degree in Engineering that can be earned in only 6 months. I have an ME (Master of Engineering) but I also completed the requirements for an MS in Engineering. It took over a year.

It's a partnership, it's 1 year in the US school but adds only 6 months to the total duration.