F.A.A. Doesn''t see the need for 6 Years of Concessions

RV4

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
FAA forecasters remain optimistic, saying that US Major carriers can expect positive growth in 2003, with international markets growing faster than domestic markets over the next 12 years. Director-Aviation Policy and Plans John Rodgers said he is hopeful for modest recovery in 2003 followed by stronger performances in 2004 and 2005.
[a href=http://www.atwonline.com/indexfull.cfm?newsid=2855]Read the F.A.A. Growth Predictions[/a]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/18/2003 5:33:55 PM eolesen wrote:

Your title is a lie:

[blockquote]
A key to recovery centers on the ability of airlines to reduce their costs to become more competitive with low-cost carriers.

Being competitive has to be a long term solution.

When asked if the possibility of war with Iraq was factored into the forecast projections, Rodgers said, "It hasn't happened yet." But he conceded, "The numbers would go down a bit in the short term if there is a war."

[/blockquote]

----------------
[/blockquote]

And this says YES to 6 years of concessions? Since when does "short term" equal 6 years? Show us your proof that the F.A.A. sees the need for 6 years of concessions. Or should I call AMR investor relations and ask them for this also?

RV4,

A better measurement are the order books at Boeing and Airbus for the delivery time the FAA mentions, they suck.

For me, the FAA predictions sound like a Luftwaffe sortie forecast for Christmas 1945. It sure sounds great but it comes from a sheltered low level civil servant making about the same as a senior AA crew chief.

I do hope they end up right though.

Your title is a lie:

[blockquote]
A key to recovery centers on the ability of airlines to reduce their costs to become more competitive with low-cost carriers.
[/blockquote]

Being competitive has to be a long term solution.

[blockquote]
When asked if the possibility of war with Iraq was factored into the forecast projections, Rodgers said, "It hasn't happened yet." But he conceded, "The numbers would go down a bit in the short term if there is a war."
[/blockquote]

A bit? UAL's advance bookings are down 40%, and the rest of the majors aren't doing much better.

When markets like BCN are cancelled before they even start, and daily operations are cut back to 4 and 5 days a week, you know there's a problem. And that's even before the first shot has been fired.

If the report ignored Iraq, then it obviously won't include any projected impact of the SARS outbreaks in Asia, or whatever might happen with North Korea...

Six is just managements opener. I'm sure it'll be knocked down to 3 maybe 4. Now if AA goes chap 11 all bets are off. Its bend over and grab your ankles cause we'll get 6 easy and possibly 8!