FAA finds cracks on 3 American Airlines 767s

<_< ------- dvhog, Have you heard how the inspections are coming on the rest of the fleet?
I have not heard of any other pylons cracked. We had 2 with midspar damage and one with a midspar close out angle crakced. The close out angle as you know was not a big deal and was back in service in a few days. N354`s pylon is progressing, being worked here at AFW. The cracks in N360`S pylon were more extensive and is in work in Witchita. We have 4 guys up there on a FT and one TCC. One of our guys called in last week saying "some" holes had been misdrilled by Spirit Aero. The number I beieve was 12 !! Boeing said no go on the freeze plugs they wanted to do. So as I understand it that entire midspar bulkhead is being replaced. I`ve seen the pics from our folks up there and it is going to be awhile. We are thinking 3 weeks or so to get 534 back together and who knows how long for 360. Back to your original question, the rest of the fleet looks good.....How`s retirement?

I have not heard of any other pylons cracked. We had 2 with midspar damage and one with a midspar close out angle crakced. The close out angle as you know was not a big deal and was back in service in a few days. N354`s pylon is progressing, being worked here at AFW. The cracks in N360`S pylon were more extensive and is in work in Witchita. We have 4 guys up there on a FT and one TCC. One of our guys called in last week saying "some" holes had been misdrilled by Spirit Aero. The number I beieve was 12 !! Boeing said no go on the freeze plugs they wanted to do. So as I understand it that entire midspar bulkhead is being replaced. I`ve seen the pics from our folks up there and it is going to be awhile. We are thinking 3 weeks or so to get 534 back together and who knows how long for 360. Back to your original question, the rest of the fleet looks good.....How`s retirement?
<_< ------ G-R-E-A-T !!!------- You should try it someday! But I do miss the people I worked with all those years!

... snip
One of our guys called in last week saying "some" holes had been misdrilled by Spirit Aero. The number I beieve was 12 !! Boeing said no go on the freeze plugs they wanted to do. So as I understand it that entire midspar bulkhead is being replaced.
... snip
During the 737 winglet additions at TULE, it was nothing to get the Tool & Die shop out to fix 20-50 misdrilled holes two to three times a week. As I remember, the greatest tally for a one-week period was 200 misdrills, all on the same two aircraft in hanger 2 in for the mod. I understand that Aviation Partners - Boeing (the winglet kit's manufacturer) pulled our (AA's) preferred installer status after all the calls to them that week for repair instructions. One aircraft was bad enough there was worry re: weight/loading limits of one particular 737.

12 holes on one aircraft? That's nothing compared to the above metioned butcher job (that was obviously tolerated due to the lack of any disciplinary action toward the involved mechanics) in TULE's hanger 2.

This was evidently due to the company's attempt to drive off outside business they'd sooner or later have to add into the balance sheet, in my personal opinion.

This is off topic but I wanted to get the word out. Please work safe. An AMT on my dock fell from the inboard wing while working the overwing slide. He has a clean break of his femur (sp?). He is out of the hospital and recovering. I served with him in a Marine reserve unit in the 1990s, he is really a great guy. However I have told him many times when seeing him work that area to be careful. He is going to burn thru a lot of sick time and at our ridiculous accural he will never get caught up. So a quick prayers for his recovery and return to work..... Now back to pylon stuff

During the 737 winglet additions at TULE, it was nothing to get the Tool & Die shop out to fix 20-50 misdrilled holes two to three times a week. As I remember, the greatest tally for a one-week period was 200 misdrills, all on the same two aircraft in hanger 2 in for the mod. I understand that Aviation Partners - Boeing (the winglet kit's manufacturer) pulled our (AA's) preferred installer status after all the calls to them that week for repair instructions. One aircraft was bad enough there was worry re: weight/loading limits of one particular 737.

12 holes on one aircraft? That's nothing compared to the above metioned butcher job (that was obviously tolerated due to the lack of any disciplinary action toward the involved mechanics) in TULE's hanger 2.

This was evidently due to the company's attempt to drive off outside business they'd sooner or later have to add into the balance sheet, in my personal opinion.
Its not so much the number of misdrilled holes per se but the area they are in.

<_< ------ G-R-E-A-T !!!------- You should try it someday! But I do miss the people I worked with all those years!
Well MCI, it seems I have caught a case of the A.I.D.S. i`m afraid that will end any thought of retirement for me. Sincerely glad you are able to enjoy yours....out

Well MCI, it seems I have caught a case of the A.I.D.S. i`m afraid that will end any thought of retirement for me. Sincerely glad you are able to enjoy yours....out
<_< ------ God bless dvhog!------- Not to worry! They can't keep a good Marine down!!!

<_< ------ Reading all that's being said on this subject I get the impression that this is one big surprise, that all of a sudden AA has a new problem with cracking of 767 pylons, when in fact this has been an on going problem for some time now!

Is anyone concerned about the fact that the FAA found the friggin' cracks, not our people? Or, is this just another opportunity to start an AA vs. TWA argument? Lives are at stake.

I might have said that being based in SLT, I am safe from the cracked 767s, but since the 757 appears to be the "new" A300 when it comes to maintenance issues, we've had some 76 subs on 75 routes lately. Pay attention, guys. Some of us depend upon you doing your jobs, not just looking for opportunities to beat a dead horse.
Sorry Mr. un-informed I was there when the cracks were found and it was most certainly found by the mechanics on the doc. Yes we have completed doing the pylon mods but once again management took the cheaper route out and didn't do the full meal deal. As Boeing recommended to change the fittings not just put new bushing in.

That is totally pitiful wonder how long those guys have been working on a/c and seats and coffee makers don't count. Bet it is less than 10 yrs. Probably upgraded from a non essential shop. Been here for over 20 yrs. and the skill level has been so depleted through the upgrade policy. For every 10 we get maybe 1 is worth a damn and willing to learn and at least trainable and have a clue on how to use tools. And we are going to do it on a large scale if we vote this POS contract in. Understand this we vote this in AMTs at the bases will be phased out there is no going back. It has to stop somewhere.

Sorry Mr. un-informed I was there when the cracks were found and it was most certainly found by the mechanics on the doc. Yes we have completed doing the pylon mods but once again management took the cheaper route out and didn't do the full meal deal. As Boeing recommended to change the fittings not just put new bushing in.
<_< ------- Surprise! Surprise!

Thanks MCI for the info. i know you guys are very experience there is no doubt but we have a lot of really sharp young AMT'S out here that love what they do and just want to keep doing what they love to do but they would be the ones flushed out the door unfortunately ...I know its the way the industry goes but it still would be hard too see this happen all over again ....

I dont think you will see much of a bump and roll due to MCI, however if the TA passes thats a different story, you will have to make room for the 20% SMAs.

The company admits they are losing 300 to 400 mechanics a year through attrition, many of the line stations are short handed. I believe that the company intends on using AMTs from the bases to filll vacancies on the line and then backfill the bases with SMAs. Hoping that the $2 line premium lures them there voluntarily but if that doesnt work I would expect that they would do something along the lines of what they did in 95, except instead of going from the Shop to the docks they would be going from the docks to the line.

I dont think you will see much of a bump and roll due to MCI, however if the TA passes thats a different story, you will have to make room for the 20% SMAs.

The company admits they are losing 300 to 400 mechanics a year through attrition, many of the line stations are short handed. I believe that the company intends on using AMTs from the bases to filll vacancies on the line and then backfill the bases with SMAs. Hoping that the $2 line premium lures them there voluntarily but if that doesnt work I would expect that they would do something along the lines of what they did in 95, except instead of going from the Shop to the docks they would be going from the docks to the line.

Very interesting!!!!!!!!!!
I agree....we are pretty much understaffed and it is now beyond the point of simply "doing more with less."

The company will undoubtedly begin hiring ASMs and ASMs ONLY once this rag is passed.

Latest posts

Back