Faa May Trim Airport Control Tower Hours

Control towers at some airports could go dark between midnight and 5 a.m. under a cost-cutting plan the government is considering.

The air traffic controllers' union says the move would compromise safety. Lawmakers worry it could lead to service reductions in their states.

Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, said Wednesday that if the Federal Aviation Administration closes the tower in Fairbanks, Alaska, during the early morning hours, it "would be the most stupid suggestion I've ever heard from the bureaucracy."

CNN Article

SilentWarrior said:
Control towers at some airports could go dark between midnight and 5 a.m. under a cost-cutting plan the government is considering.

The air traffic controllers' union says the move would compromise safety. Lawmakers worry it could lead to service reductions in their states.

Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, said Wednesday that if the Federal Aviation Administration closes the tower in Fairbanks, Alaska, during the early morning hours, it "would be the most stupid suggestion I've ever heard from the bureaucracy."

CNN Article
[post="248524"][/post]​
STUPID, STUPID, STUPID ........................ The money is GONE to fight a war in IRAQ, now we are expected to do with LESS here STATESIDE.
The present Administration and its Bureacrats are going to WRECK this land of ours, all in the name of FREEDOM.
Just look around, FUEL PRICES ESCALATING, LESS SERVICES, JOB LAYOFFS due to JOBS GOING OVERSEAS. We are LOSING our Standard of Living, FOLKS !!!
Get your heads out of the Sand and QUESTION AUTHORITY.
The Controller's Union is RIGHT ON ........................ I fly a Boeing 727 into these airports with PART-TIME CONTROL TOWER OPS, it is MOST DANGEROUS even on a CLEAR NIGHT. The problem is there is NO-ONE looking out for you (ATC) and the bigger problem could be the guy or gal flying around in the middle of the night without radio communications. This whole scenario depends on GOOD-WILL and GOOD INTENTIONS of other Pilots, a recipe for DISASTER.
Without ATC Control Ops available, there is going to be more problems and disasters than one could ever imagine.

Latest posts