Faa Seeks New Flight Recorders

Flight recorders, key to determining the causes of aircraft crashes will have to hold more data and have a more reliable power supply under a plan outlined Thursday by the Federal Aviation Administration.

However, the FAA rejected a recommendation from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) that aircraft be required to have video cameras in the cockpit.

Some pilots have expressed concerns about invasion of privacy and said the constant presence of a camera could make it harder to do their jobs.

The NTSB, which investigates crashes, has long urged the FAA to adopt stricter requirements for the so-called "black boxes," which are actually orange .

CNN Article

Despite the "privacy" and legal issues, it greatly disappoints me that the FAA didn't ask for some sort of video recording. Given the number of recent accidents/incidents whe re "mode confusion" has been an issue (the "what's it doing now" syndrome), I'm not sure how more frequent recording of data channels will help investigators better understand what the pilots were seeing/scanning/doing.

I'm sure some suitable legal protection to ensure video recordings were only used for safety purposes could have been put in place with some political leadership.

SVQLBA said:
Despite the "privacy" and legal issues, it greatly disappoints me that the FAA didn't ask for some sort of video recording. Given the number of recent accidents/incidents whe re "mode confusion" has been an issue (the "what's it doing now" syndrome), I'm not sure how more frequent recording of data channels will help investigators better understand what the pilots were seeing/scanning/doing.

I'm sure some suitable legal protection to ensure video recordings were only used for safety purposes could have been put in place with some political leadership.
[post="250691"][/post]​

My major concern with using any type of video equipment for investigation purposes is that it introduces the “visual guessingâ€￾ factor into a strictly fact-based environment. I do agree with the added length of recording time and redundant power supply being added. Having data at the start of an incident instead of the last 30-minutes could help investigators immensely.

As a sidebar….I would like to see “black boxesâ€￾ required in GA as well. This may seem overkill to some, but I believe that the information gathered should be used to enhance the training given at the PPL level. Life isn’t always “straight and levelâ€￾.

Comments?

They can put the camera in the cockpit as soon as doctors have one watching them. Doctors kill more people every year than all aircraft. Or how about engineers (trains)? Myabe we could prevent the next derailing. Well we might as well tape all bus drivers and taxi drivers. We all know how many thousands are killed on the roads every year. Commercial truck drivers, now there is another one that needs to be taped, that way the next time there is a big pile up they might find the cause was the driver talking on the cb in stead of paying attention to the road. I mean nothing is too much for safety right? But the number one group of people that need cameras watching their every move is the politcians and lawyers, the number of lives destroyed by that group should warrent some attention.