FAA to require longer pilot layovers on ultralonghaul routes

Well...according to APFA's Safety and Security Coordinator who sat in on the hearings, it does apply to FAs.

Maybe there are some new rules re: FA rest. I don't know. If you have links, you could post them and they would certainly be appreciated.

This thread is about the FAA's new rules on pilot rest on ultra-longhaul flights. Every linked article discusses pilots and none mention FA rest. The lawsuit filed by AA and CO and joined by UA and several other airlines concerns pilot rest, not FA rest.

If you've got something to share, I'm certain everyone would be willing to listen.

Gee,

Maybe AA "overlooked" the fact that...STUPID..(and his employer friendly administration) will....THANK GOD....be out of office in a mere 2 weeks. ??

With a "new sheriff" (w/ an EMPLOYEE friendly administration), riding into town, I venture a guess that AA will be screwed !

Which would leave them with 2 choices.

1. Bite their nose off to spite there face(cancelling long haul flight)
or
2. (reluctantly) Biting $$$ the Bullet.

I'll bet on #2 :up: :up:

Gee,

Maybe AA "overlooked" the fact that...STUPID..(and his employer friendly administration) will....THANK GOD....be out of office in a mere 2 weeks. ??

With a "new sheriff" (w/ an EMPLOYEE friendly administration), riding into town, I venture a guess that AA will be screwed !

Which would leave them with 2 choices.

1. Bite their nose off to spite there face(cancelling long haul flight)
or
2. (reluctantly) Biting $$$ the Bullet.

I'll bet on #2 :up: :up:

I'd bet on #1, Bears.

AMR seems to be doing everthing in its power to generate bad press and keep people away.

I'm more interested in their reasoning.

AA's only flight that is affected by this change is ORD/DEL. The PVG flight is short enough not to be affected. So the only route that could be dropped would be the Delhi trip.

The issue I see here is that the FAA is trying to circumvent its own rule-making process. Irrespective of whether or not the rule is a "good" or "bad" idea, the fact that the FAA is going to compromise its own procedures is troubling. This isn't something they need to fast track in response to an accident or other incident, so why not take the established course on rule making?

The issue I see here is that the FAA is trying to circumvent its own rule-making process. Irrespective of whether or not the rule is a "good" or "bad" idea, the fact that the FAA is going to compromise its own procedures is troubling. This isn't something they need to fast track in response to an accident or other incident, so why not take the established course on rule making?

MAYBE some FAA big shots are very concious of the fact of..."Jan 20th" :shock: ??

(like in.....Employer friendly....vs....EMPLOY..EE friendly) :rolleyes:

Would not be the first time FAA has played politics with a safety issue!

Nah - "our" FAA? Are you kidding?

They have the citizens' best interests at heart and would never play politics with our safety. :lol:

You know, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help". :lol: :lol:

There - I've told my lies for the day - can I get into management now?

How are the loads going to DEL right now?... If the India economy is slowing down like the Chinese economy has, then the FAA's games might just might be a convenient excuse to close down the route...

I'm sure business traffic has to be falling off -- some folks I know are under a teleconference-only order for their dealings in India right now, and the terror attacks last month aren't helping much. Throw in the reverse in outsourcing that's been going on (even AA closed down their India call centre and moved the work to either BNE or SYD), and it just might not be as rosy as it was a year ago.

Bears, you may want to rethink your unbridled enthusiasm for regime change. With the Richardson pay to play scandal and the ongoing Blago corruption investigation, 1600 Pennsylvania's attention won't be on bailing out airline employees -- it will be on damage control...

How are the loads going to DEL right now?... If the India economy is slowing down like the Chinese economy has, then the FAA's games might just might be a convenient excuse to close down the route...

I'm sure business traffic has to be falling off -- some folks I know are under a teleconference-only order for their dealings in India right now, and the terror attacks last month aren't helping much. Throw in the reverse in outsourcing that's been going on (even AA closed down their India call centre and moved the work to either BNE or SYD), and it just might not be as rosy as it was a year ago.

Bears, you may want to rethink your unbridled enthusiasm for regime change. With the Richardson pay to play scandal and the ongoing Blago corruption investigation, 1600 Pennsylvania's attention won't be on bailing out airline employees -- it will be on damage control...

Your answer to Bears has merit - even if things were going well enough for the powers to not to require the extent of damage control you speak of, it's questionable if truly competent people could be found for a leadership role, or at least competent individuals that are idealistic enough to have the job.

We keep puttering along and hoping our votes are for the lesser of the available evils but, regardless, evils are all the electorate has had to choose from for many years.

This is not unlike corporate America where a person is in fear of losing their cushy position to a newcomer so, when the need to hire arises, an individual of considerably lesser ability is hired - no danger to the one who hired the other.

After 75-100 years of this practice, the pool has decended to the dregs with a degree - those with any common sense need not apply as the ability to follow the leader and not exercise rational thought is all that's important when dealing with being part of the team.

Another issue is the Constitutional inability to "vote all of bums out" at one time. This was put into the Constitution to lessen confusion within the Congress after an election by the Founders, but is now used to properly "indoctrinate" the new and idealistic members (who may have believed they could really make a difference) into the ongong corruption within government as they will, by law, be a minority. The saying that "Age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm without fail" comes to mind.

What is required to fix the problem would be considered treasonous but that's what Britain said a few hundred years ago also.

Well.."E".....Time will tell.

Richardson told BO, that he'd be exonerated, but in the meantime he didn't want to be a drag on the new administration.

One thing is for sure,....either YOU, or I...will be posting a.."I told you so" message to one of us, after the Richardson scenario is complete.

As for Blago............"Give me a friggin break Eric"

I'm NOT condoning what that IDIOT is doing, but.....Shet like that has been going on since AL CAPONE !!!!!

Jesus,...I mean,........you would'nt be surprised if I told you that a lot of.."Organized Italian men", resided in Howard Beach Queens, would you Eric ???????

It IS what it IS.

Latest posts