Finally!

Skymess

Veteran
Aug 6, 2004
NY
Something, um, special in the air: AA works to quash bathroom odors on 757s
By TREBOR [email protected]
It's bad enough to be crammed into a tiny seat in a packed aircraft cabin, subjected to noisy seatmates and crying babies. But what if the airplane, well, just stinks?

Some passengers have encountered that malodorous problem on recent American Airlines flights. The carrier said it is working to eliminate the in-flight stench that has occasionally arisen in some of its Boeing 757 jets.

American has received sporadic complaints about foul odors coming from the lavatories on the planes. While the problem isn't widespread, airline officials said, they are nonetheless switching to a stronger sanitizing fluid and redirecting air vents to reduce the unpleasant odors.

"We've been hearing input from our customers and our flight attendants about the issue and working to come up with a solution," spokesman Tim Smith said.

A more pleasing in-flight aroma comes at a cost to American, even as the Fort Worth-based carrier is working to slash expenses. The stronger sanitizer is more expensive, Smith said. And American will also absorb the maintenance costs of redirecting the lavatory vents to blow air outside the plane rather than into the cargo area in the aft of the aircraft.

The entire fleet is scheduled to have lavatories replaced as planes are refurbished beginning this year.

Stronger sanitizer? :lol:

They're using deodorant concentrate, nothing 'sanitizing' about that in the least.

They should also take a look at the actual servicing of the lavatories, the lack of proper servicing is probably a major contributing factor to the stench problem.

The concentrate is probably cheaper than any kind of dual action sanitizing/deodorant agent, so that's the route they chose.

They're using deodorant concentrate, nothing 'sanitizing' about that in the least.

They should also take a look at the actual servicing of the lavatories, the lack of proper servicing is probably a major contributing factor to the stench problem.

The concentrate is probably cheaper than any kind of dual action sanitizing/deodorant agent, so that's the route they chose.

My take is that the most beneficial thing they are doing is rerouting the lavatory stinky air vents to outside the plane vs. in the cargo. THAT is really going to be the determining factor, IMO.

Amen. I've seen McDonalds bathrooms that are in better shape sanitation wise than the restrooms on board the 757's. It's time to bring some cleaning crews back and actually clean the damn bathrooms (and stock them with toilet paper... please?)

Perhaps the people who make the decisions to buy whatever deodorant should talk to some RV people about chemicals. Or keep a porta potty in their office for some first-hand experience on which chemicals work and which do not.

There is no substitute for experience.

But, certainly, ventilation is very good, too.

About time! Anyone familiar with the 757 knows the back end can get a bit warm and funky. Along with the upcoming interior upgrades this will be a welcome change.

Boeing should have put the same type of vacuum lav system in the 757 that they put in the 767 and 737-800. Maybe AA should consider a "modification" and put the 767/737-800 lav system in the 757.

The 757 lavs aren't the only ones with odor problems. The S80s can get pretty rank at times also. This problem has been "solved" more than once. I think I'll just wait for the results before celebrating too much.

The 757 lavs aren't the only ones with odor problems. The S80s can get pretty rank at times also. This problem has been "solved" more than once. I think I'll just wait for the results before celebrating too much.

True. I've noticed that the lav stuff on the s-80 smells slightly like garlic salt. That alone is kind of gross, but when you put that together with poop it's really foul.

The clowns ordering these things and wasting money to save it should be fired. The lav clown and the plastic cup clown need to GO.

Boeing should have put the same type of vacuum lav system in the 757 that they put in the 767 and 737-800. Maybe AA should consider a "modification" and put the 767/737-800 lav system in the 757.

Boeing did put the vacum lav's on the 757-300.

Given the cost of modifying the 757 fleet to a vacum lav system I doubt we will ever see it.

Boeing did put the vacum lav's on the 757-300.

Given the cost of modifying the 757 fleet to a vacum lav system I doubt we will ever see it.

Is this a new problem? I don't ever remember our (TWA) 757 lavs having odor issues. Maybe it was the difference in lav location.

Is this a new problem? I don't ever remember our (TWA) 757 lavs having odor issues. Maybe it was the difference in lav location.

Yes it's the difference in lav location. TWA 757's as you already know did not have lavs in back by the L4/R4 doors.