Flight 63 crew interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Aug 20, 2002
Did anyone happen to catch the interview of the crew working flight 63 with the shoe bomber? On the Today show they have aired portions the last two mornings. It was kind of chilling hearing what was really happening on that plane. The employees of AA should know that they are working with heroes. What they had to go through during those few frantic minutes was amazing. And then to have to fly an additional two hours afterwards knowing there is a bomb on board and not knowing the volatility would be gut wrenching to say the least. If you missed it I think it will be on Dateline tonight in its entirety with passenger interviews as well.

My question is why fly all the way to BOS. Are there not closer airprots to devert to? They say that they wanted the bomber to be in US territory but is that more important than landing the plane safely in Gander or any airfield prior to BOS? Had the bomb gone off it would have brought the plane down killing ALL aboard. I think they( whoever made the decission to devert to BOS) took quite a gamble. There is no doubt that the crew did an excellent job. The company on the other hand did not even inform BOS that the a/c was coming in and wanted to keep it that way so in the event that the bomb was a hoax that the a/c would not be delayed at BOS. They knew that if BOS knew that a bomb had been reported on board that the a/c would be sent to a area a safe distance from the airport. Searched and Delayed for continued service. Eventually the BOS emergency staff was informed and from what I was told the a/c ended up in this area anyway. I just find it disturbing that as a crew member you are seconded guessed by some on-time brain washed dispatcher that puts on-time/company intrests ahead of the value of a full plane load of pax and crew.

I remember hearing about an AA dispatcher handling the flight getting into trouble for blowing the whistle on her supes because they did not want to, as she perceived it, draw any unnecessary media attention to AA. The dispatcher thought her management was taking foolish risks as well.

I think anyone in this indusstry is a hero. I can tell you as a flight attendant it's no longer about serving cokes and stowing bags. Somehow I have become a babysitter, nurse, counselor, and now an air marshall as well. Kudos to all of those on flight 63 and a job well done. Also, Kudos to all in this industry for sticking it out and hanging in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.